***** Salem's Lot *****

320 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 8 hrs ago by Proposition Joe
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

This was one of my favorite King books when I was a teen, along with The Shining. My first exposure to this came in 1979 with the original TV movie, when I was flipping the channels looking for something to watch and just happened to land on a station showing the movie. What I saw that night terrified me so much that I immediately changed the channel. It was dark, in a prison cell with an open door - and then the vampire popped up. I didn't fully watch it until a couple of years later. It remains one of the best vampire movies I've ever seen along with the original Dracula and the 1992 Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I see some differences in this iteration, and I'm talking about differences to the book, not the original or remake movie (the latter of which I own but have yet to watch). Before someone comes along and gives me what-for about these differences, I don't believe the differences will be a big deal, but I question the need for them. But whatever, I'll watch this one.
TXAG 05
AG
Love the book. This looks good. Is it a series or a movie?
zap
AG
This is a movie. I believe it will be on Max in October.
Al Bula
AG
What blows me away is the original miniseries from the 70s was about 3 hours and this one is less than 2. It has been a very long time since I've read SL or watched the original so I don't really have a sense of what "fat" could be cut. In any event, I'm really interested and will catch this at some point.

Possible spoiler for Stephen King related works:Just started a reread of The Dark Tower series so I'm going to watch this before getting into the tie in and hopefully it will complement Wolves of the Calla better than reading the book without refreshing myself on the Father Callahan storyline.
Proposition Joe
Love the book.

Can't really get behind this though.

The 2004 miniseries was very well done and plenty "modernized", so not sure how swapping out the actors is going to significantly impact it. Actor downgrades almost across the board.

And if you're really jonesing on an even more updated version of the story, just watch Midnight Mass and swap Gordon Lightfoot for Neil Diamond. Quite obvious Salem's Lot was Flanagan's inspiration.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.