Can children of gay parents be baptized in the Catholic church?

1,222 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by PabloSerna
Martin Q. Blank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can. 868 1. For an infant to be baptized licitly:
1/ the parents or at least one of them or the person who legitimately takes their place must consent;
2/ there must be a founded hope that the infant will be brought up in the Catholic religion; if such hope is altogether lacking, the baptism is to be delayed according to the prescripts of particular law after the parents have been advised about the reason.
2. An infant of Catholic parents or even of non-Catholic parents is baptized licitly in danger of death even against the will of the parents.

I don't see how there could be a "founded hope" if the parents are gay. They're not going to teach their child that their marriage is unlawful and that their relationship is sinful.
jrico2727
AG
I wouldn't say it's ideal but to say there is no hope isn't true either in my opinion. The Church as well as all the baptized are led by the Holy Spirit if one cooperates with the graces given.

There are a lot of "normie boomer" parents that have raised some pretty based children regardless of their deficiencies in the faith. If they are brought to mass and live a sacramental life there is more than a just little hope.
The Banned
A gay couple who comes to know their actions are sin, but already have adopted a child and are trying to figure out how to move forward? Idk. Seems like a major stretch to find someone in this situation, but I guess it's theoretically possible.
PabloSerna
AG
Yes.
How 'Bout Them COWBOYS!!!!!
aggietony2010
AG
There's an important distinction between validity and liceity to be made here. If the "parents" of the child found a priest willing to do the baptism (or performed the baptism themselves) using the proper matter, form, intent, and disposition, then said baptism would be valid.

So, the answer to "can they be baptized?" Yes, in the same way a Catholic grandma could baptize her now-atheists daughter's child in secret.

However, many people would argue against the liceity (whether the baptism was in accord with church law) in the same way you did. I'd place a lot of emphasis on "altogether lacking" in regards to the "founded hope." There are children of a lot of irregular situations (divorced and civilly remarried/unmarried/etc) that are baptized. I think a conversation would need to be had about the motivations (as you would with any irregular situation) and the godparent(s) would need to be in good standing. You certainly couldn't have a gay couple stand in as godparents. Lastly, I think a private ceremony for the baptism would be appropriate, to avoid scandal.

(And I'm very much not liberal on these matters)
Martin Q. Blank

Quote:

I think a conversation would need to be had about the motivations (as you would with any irregular situation)
The motivation would be the same as any other Catholic parent - the child's salvation. But in this case, the parents would openly admit that they will teach the child that the church is wrong about their marriage and wrong about homosexuality being sinful.
aggietony2010
AG
If that's the motivation, then good. A lot of people (and not just a gay couple) might just want to do it for more superficial reasons.
PabloSerna
AG
What exactly is scandalous about the baptism of a child?
aggietony2010
AG
PabloSerna said:

The public appearance in the church of two men simulating marriage and co-parentage of a child is absolutely scandalous.
General Jack D. Ripper
It's not the kids' fault they were purchased
There was this one time at ban camp…
nortex97
AG
I'm amazed how folks on this forum come up with a new worry about homosexuality and religion (always Christianity of course) every single day.
AgLiving06
I don't think you'd like the muslim solution for homosexuality.
PabloSerna
AG
aggietony2010 said:

PabloSerna said:

The public appearance in the church of two men simulating marriage and co-parentage of a child is absolutely scandalous.
No it is not, because two men cannot be married in the RCC and cannot physically give birth to a child. Church and science are pretty clear on these facts.

aggietony2010
AG
Nope, there's no way you're that ignorant.

You're not responding in good faith, so I'm not going to waste my time typing up a response.
PabloSerna
AG
Tapping out?

ETA: what you see as scandalous is not what I see.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.