Fantasy Football Draft Talk

16,204 Views | 241 Replies | Last: 12 days ago by investorAg83
texagbeliever
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought it might be fun to kick this off with a discussion on most overrated and underrated player in the top 20 draft rankings (Fantasy pros). If you have a better top 20 source then post it. This is for PPR.

1 Christian McCaffrey (SF) RB1 9
2 CeeDee Lamb (DAL) WR1 7
3 Tyreek Hill (MIA) WR2 6
4 Ja'Marr Chase (CIN) WR3 12
5 Justin Jefferson (MIN) WR4 6
Tier 2 Customize Tiers
6 Amon-Ra St. Brown (DET) WR5 5
7 Breece Hall (NYJ) RB2 12
8 Bijan Robinson (ATL) RB3 12
9 A.J. Brown (PHI) WR6 5
10 Garrett Wilson (NYJ) WR7 12
11 Puka Nacua (LAR) WR8 6

Tier 3 Customize Tiers
12 Jonathan Taylor (IND) RB4 14
13 Jahmyr Gibbs (DET) RB5 5
14 Saquon Barkley (PHI) RB6 5
15 Davante Adams (LV) WR9 10
16 Marvin Harrison Jr. (ARI) WR10 11
17 Chris Olave (NO) WR11 12
18 Michael Pittman Jr. (IND) WR12 14
19 Brandon Aiyuk (SF) WR13 9
20 Josh Allen (BUF) QB1 12

Most overrated is tough because lots of competition. I would not want to spend a top 20 pick on Pittman. Though i could see taking CD Lamb right after Christian McCaffery would be the ultimate drop off sucker punch.
Most underrated would be Jonathan Taylor. Mobile QB i see him getting touches and lots of check downs.

Not in the top 20 but I think is in a TE position league has to be LaPorta. If in a 12 team league someone got CMC, LaPorta & Kyren/Hurts. That would be a dominant position.
W
AG
fantasy drafts will be here soon

my initial 3 questions...

1. Lions backfield

Gibbs should be a middle-to-late 1st round pick. Would expect him to improve on his rookie season of 50 catches, 1,250 total yards, and 11 TD's. But there is Montgomery. Will his role diminish and/or where to draft him?

2. Joe Mixon

if the Texans' offense is as good as expected...1,200 total yards and 12 to 15 TD's is certainly in play. Could be a steal if he falls to the 3rd round

3. Dolphins backfield

Mostert and Achane combined to score 32 TD's last year. But we know there are going to be injury issues with both of them. Where to draft them is tricky. RB zero drafters would love to see high-upside Achane in the 4th round
W
AG
regarding the top 20 list...(and assuming 1/2-PPR)

Tier 1 is great

would move Taylor & Gibbs to Tier 2. Would drop G.Wilson to Tier 3

not taking D. Adams at #15 -- another year older and shaky QB situation

would consider Kyren and Mixon ahead of all the Tier 3 WR's
LincolnBorglum79
AG
You are missing the Texans WRs. It's a guess but Collins, Diggs and Dell all should be drafted in rounds 2-4 IMO. Stroud should be the second QB drafted after Mahomes.

Mixon should be on your list ahead of some of those WRs. CD Lamb over Hill and Chase is a big bust potential. Who is Dallas RB again? Zeke?
ac04
not sure i follow that logic. a weak dallas run game benefits ceedee, just like it did LY. he got like 180 targets because he was their most dynamic weapon by far, that will be the case in 2024 as well.
dixichkn
AG
I only get to keep one player from previous years roster, and I know QB tends to be cheap but I'd get to keep Stroud as a 7th rd pick. That's gotta be the guy, right?

I mean my only other realistic options would be Zeke (also a 7th rd) or JSN as an 8th rounder
dixichkn
AG
And no I don't think I'd touch Garrett Wilson, Davante or Pittman anywhere near where they're ranked on that list
IceAg08
AG
All I know is that I'm drafting Mike Penix last round to justify my team name: Surprise Penix Pick
agAngeldad
Will Justin Jefferson have the QB to remain tier 1?
"If you got to tell em who you are, you ain't"
texagbeliever
agAngeldad said:

Will Justin Jefferson have the QB to remain tier 1?
Tier 1 WRs have injury concerns or QB.
Hill & Chase both can't stay healthy. Chase also plays in the toughest defense division.

Really it is hard in a PPR draft to not see as the drop off from Pick 1 to pick 2-5 as being too large to be fair.

first 2 rounds look like this.
Pick 1: CMC + LaPorta/Waddle
Pick 2: Lamb/Hill/Chase + Hurts/Evans/Etienne
vs
Pick 11: Jonathan Taylor + Gibbs/Barkley/Adams
Pick 12: Gibbs+ Barkley

Basically Tiers look to me to be more like
CMC
2-9
10-15
16-20
(numbers are ranks in OP)

That tells me pick 1st or pick 11th/12th
stick95
AG
I'm not sure I'm taking CMC with the first overall pick. Age 28 and 1800 touches in his career. I would hate for this to be the season he drops off. I'm probably taking a sure thing WR, probably Lamb, and then stacking a bunch of RB2s. For me, the first round is more about not screwing up then getting the best overall player.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
Langley
stick95 said:

the first round is more about not screwing up then getting the best overall player.

A very fine line and what makes or breaks most leagues. And drawing the right rookie with the biggest breakout
Ag_07
AG
Anyone have a lead on a decent draft spreadsheet?

Seems like every season someone either makes one or posts one and they're super helpful.
boy09
AG
Ag_07 said:

Seems like every season someone either makes one or posts one and they're super helpful.
The CSG spreadsheet from Reddit, which is the one most people are looking for on here every year, should be out by the beginning of August.
Spaceball 1
AG
Need keeper league advice… Jefferson in the 3rd, LaPorta in the 8th (FA pickup), or Achane in the 8th (10th rd pick last year)
dixichkn
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

Need keeper league advice… Jefferson in the 3rd, LaPorta in the 8th (FA pickup), or Achane in the 8th (10th rd pick last year)
This sounds crazy, but probably Laporta. He's a top 3 player at a position you typically don't get a ton of production. Heart says Achane. Head says Laporta
An L of an Ag
AG
dixichkn said:

Spaceball 1 said:

This sounds crazy, but probably Laporta. He's a top 3 player at a position you typically don't get a ton of production. Heart says Achane. Head says Laporta

I took LaPorta with my next to last pick in last year's draft. He's absolutely my keeper this year, and I forfeit my last round pick.
dixichkn
AG
IceAg08 said:

All I know is that I'm drafting Mike Penix last round to justify my team name: Surprise Penix Pick
Thinking of drafting Hockenson and Tua as backups just for the obvious team name
txagman1998
AG
First 2024 best ball draft in the books! The $20 DraftKings Milly Maker (882,144 entries/$15MM prize pool/$1.5MM to first)...the first entry receives a ticket for an additional free entry, so really it's 2 entries at $10 each (maximum 150 entries, but I'm good with 2 entries).

I ended up drafting 1st out of 12, which pretty much forced me into a Hero RB strategy as I wasn't passing up CMC at 1.1. Here is the team I ended up with (20 roster slots, full PPR, start QB/RB/RB/WR/WR/WR/TE/Flex).

QB:
Anthony Richardson (Rd 5, Ovr 49)
Jared Goff (9, 97)
Daniel Jones (16, 192)
Joe Flacco (20, 240)

RB:
Christian McCaffrey (1, 1)
DeAndre Swift (8, 96)
Jerome Ford (11, 121)
Ty Chandler (13, 145)
Antonio Gibson (14, 168)
Ray Davis (15, 169)

WR:
Cooper Kupp (2, 24)
Hollywood Brown (4, 48)
Christian Watson (6, 72)
DeAndre Hopkins (7, 73)
Rashid Shaheed (10, 120)
Josh Downs (12, 144)
Darius Slayton (17, 193)

TE:
Sam LaPorta (3, 25)
Daniel Bellinger (18, 216)
Juwan Johnson (19, 217)

Pretty happy with this 4/6/7/3 build. I know rostering a backup QB isn't really a thing in Best Ball, but given Richardson's playing style that has an increased injury risk, I'm okay with taking Flacco with the last pick, especially given that there is no guarantee Daniel Jones is the starter in New York for the full season (I targeted Will Levis and Derek Carr late in the draft but got pipped on both).

All of my QBs are skinny stacked (Richardson (Flacco)/Downs, Goff/LaPorta, Jones/Slayton/Bellinger) and I have some Week 17 correlation with McCaffrey-Goff/LaPorta. Wide Receiver is definitely the strength of my roster, which I think makes sense for a PPR contest. I expect I will have a WR in the flex just about every week as my RBs behind McCaffrey and Swift are situational backs and my TEs behind LaPorta are likely not going to be highly targeted receivers.

Good luck to everyone playing best ball this year!
dixichkn
AG
Conventional wisdom says avoid taking QB/RB from same team……..right?

I know Stroud will be my QB keeper this year. So avoid Mixon?
Zachary Klement
AG
Spaceball 1 said:

Justin Jefferson in the third round? If that is what you are saying, I am taking that all day every day. Otherwise, Achane...they have talked about his role expanding.
Ag_07
AG
boy09 said:

Ag_07 said:

The CSG spreadsheet from Reddit, which is the one most people are looking for on here every year, should be out by the beginning of August.

FYI...This sheet is up now
dixichkn
AG
Cowboys fans……..take the homerism out of this one

Keep seeing Evan Engram, Jake Ferguson and Pitts falling to around the same place. Who do you take?
txagman1998
AG
For reference, Yahoo 1/2 PPR rankings currently have them ranked 7-Pitts, 8-Engram, 9-Ferguson.

ESPN full PPR rankings has 5-Engram, 9-Pitts, 10-Ferguson.

Personally, I prefer Engram over the other 2, and think Ferguson may be a slightly safer pick than Pitts given how Dallas uses the TE in their offense. The new offense in ATL should help Pitts, but there are still some questions if he can get back to his rookie year production given his injury history.

As you said, they all go around the same spot, so I think all three are fine picks in the late single digit rounds of drafts.
BucketofBalls99
Ag_07 said:

boy09 said:

Ag_07 said:

FYI...This sheet is up now

Do you have the direct link to the PPR? When I click on it I am turned all around as to what I am looking at, lol
Ag_07
AG
I just download the Standard GoogleDrive edition.

If you have an auction or IDP league you download that version.
Ag_07
AG
Also I see JJ McCarthy is having surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

With that said I want no part of Justin Jefferson.
txagman1998
AG
I think when it comes to JJ, a lot depends on your draft position. If you draft 1 through 6, I have no problem drafting CMC, CD, Tyreek, Chase, ARSB, or Bijan ahead of him. But if you draft 7 through 12 and JJ is still on the board when you draft, he becomes very interesting.
Zachary Klement
AG
Ag_07 said:

Also I see JJ McCarthy is having surgery to repair a torn meniscus.

With that said I want no part of Justin Jefferson.
I believe Jjettas is one of the few WRs who is QB-proof. I'm fine have Tyreek, CD, Jamarr, and a few others ahead of him, but I wouldn't let him fall past 8 in a draft.

After returning from his hamstring injury and while playing with Jarren Hall, Nick Mullens, and Joshua Dobbs, here are Jefferson's weekly fantasy points in half PPR:
-3.7 (first week back from injury, limited snaps)

And on top of that, he exceeded 10 targets in every game but his first game back. That offense is built around him and honestly, I think Sam Darnold is a better QB than any of those other guys he played with last year (other than Cousins pre-injury).
Zachary Klement
AG
I'm picking out of the eighth spot in a 10-man non-SF league and heavily debating what route to go with my pick. Looking like AJ Brown, Breece Hall, and Bijan Robinson are the guys that typically fall to me in that range.

I almost feel like I should go AJB because I would rather not start RB-RB and would like the flexibility to take GWill if he comes back to me in the second...I would not like having him and Breece on the same roster.

Any thoughts? Anyone else picking in the last few slots of their draft?
stick95
AG
Zachary Klement said:

I'm picking out of the eighth spot in a 10-man non-SF league and heavily debating what route to go with my pick. Looking like AJ Brown, Breece Hall, and Bijan Robinson are the guys that typically fall to me in that range.

I almost feel like I should go AJB because I would rather not start RB-RB and would like the flexibility to take GWill if he comes back to me in the second...I would not like having him and Breece on the same roster.

Any thoughts? Anyone else picking in the last few slots of their draft
My personal preference is Hall/Bijan + a tier 2 WR (Wilson, Puka, Devante, you might even get AJB with the 13th pick if you are lucky). I think that is better than AJB + a tier 2 RB (Henry, Barkley, Williams, Gibbs).
Agzonfire
Anyone else thinking Kupp at 40 is a MUCH better value than Puka at 20? Kupp is still their WR1, right??
stick95
AG
Agzonfire said:

Anyone else thinking Kupp at 40 is a MUCH better value than Puka at 20? Kupp is still their WR1, right??

I think it all depends on if Kupp can stay healthy. If Kupp goes down for any extended time, then Puka is a steal at 20. If they both play most of the year, then I agree with you. I'm probably staying away from both. There are other receivers that I would rather have in those spots.
Ag_07
AG
Value wise Puka is a steal at 20.

In mocks I've done I'm seeing him going around 12-15.

Personally I think that's an overvalue and think you're better off taking Cupp later.

With that said I don't really have any interest in either one.
Chipotlemonger
AG
dixichkn said:

Cowboys fans……..take the homerism out of this one

Keep seeing Evan Engram, Jake Ferguson and Pitts falling to around the same place. Who do you take?
None, at their draft positions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.