Anyone have any photography or camera questions?

452,455 Views | 3574 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Sweet Kitten Feet
Jason_Roofer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
My kids are homeschooled, so we have to handle all of our own extra curriculars. As such, my son has taken an interest in Photography. He has moved from his iPhone and starting to get into my Nikon D70s (yeah, I know, I'm that old). It works fine and does all of the stuff he should need as a beginner. However, we need a book that is suitable for a 15 year old beginner. My wife asked me for help with this and I said "A book? You mean like the user manual?" That's not what she meant.

Anyway, do you guys have any suggestions for something like this? A book or book designed as a course we can incorporate into the curricula would be good.

We found these:

The Beginner's Photography Guide: The Ultimate Step-by-Step Manual for Getting the Most From Your Digital Camera

National Geographic Photo Basics: The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Great Photography Paperback Illustrated

Digital Photography Complete Course: Learn Everything You Need to Know in 20 Weeks (DK Complete Courses)

Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Guitarsoup
AG
Understanding Exposure by Petersen

https://amzn.to/4d86dCR

Not a Textbook, but has actual practical skills and things to do: www.strobist.com

Will teach them to use lights and that is a really fundamental aspect of photography, and it also helps with understanding how light works when not using lights.
Photog
Guitarsoup said:

Photog said:

I've been without power for nearly 3 days and my house is warm and humid. Could my camera equipment get damaged? Serious question.
How was everything? Mine is all fine, same situation, only 10 days without power.
It is OK! Almost 4 days without power, so not nearly as long. That being said, our downstairs A/C never came back. At least we have fans!
k20dub
AG
Anyone know much about studio strobes? Doing school photos for the 4th year in a row and I've always rented two Westcott FJ400's and 1 FJ200. Is that overkill? I've thought about buying a set since it's about $200 every time I rent the setup and I'm doing two schools this year so would have to rent it twice.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
With school photos you might be able to get buy with a couple flashes and umbrellas, or soft boxes at least for the individual shots. I did that with a couple flashes. If you're going to do a class picture the flashes might not have enough power. I don't do big groups anymore, but I ended up getting a couple of Flashpoint Xplor battery/cord lights and I will put those in octaboxes or a softbox. I even use one outside in bright sun. I like taking outdoor portraits and that gives me plenty of power and mobility.
First Page Refresh
Page 103 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.