Any others out there still into the Civ Series? (New release)

3,275 Views | 51 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by Burdizzo
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
SIAP: I looked but may have missed it discussed. But Civ VII coming in '25. Trailer looked good. Recently got back into 6. Really excited for the new one.

You do not have a soul. You are a soul that has a body.

We sing Hallelujah! The Lamb has overcome!
EclipseAg
AG
Oh man, I literally thought my wife was gonna leave me over Civ III. I couldn't stop playing.
AgBQ-00
AG
It is addicting

CDub06
AG
I dumped so much time into Civ2.
Fenrir
I pick up complete editions on the cheap years after they come out, does that count?
Claude!
Just one more turn...why is the sun coming up?
EclipseAg
AG
Claude! said:

Just one more turn...why is the sun coming up?
That was me. Whole family waiting to go to dinner.

"Almost done ..."

"Just a few minutes more"

"Lemme just finish this turn."

"Hang on ..."

Hears the car start. "Oh *****"

kb2001
AG
Civ 1, 2, 3, and 5 consumed a lot of my time.

I bought 6 but never really played it much.
Hagen95
AG
I have this on the wish list so I can continue the Civ streak of playing.
Claude!
Based on the recommended system specs I see floating around out there, this might force me to upgrade.
BonfireNerd04
I've spent a combined 1754 hours playing 5 and 6.

Any ideas what new features 7 will have?
AgBQ-00
AG
First look at game play is coming up on the 20th. Doing a live stream of it on Twitch and I think YouTube. If the last add-on pack from 6 is any indication it looks like the diplomacy part of the game is going to take on a whole lot more importance.

KidDoc
AG
I started playing Civ 2 then Civ 3 when at A&M almost made me fail Calc 2! Played Civ 4 a decent amount, not much Civ 5 likely due to young kids + residency training. Civ 6 I've played a ton of including the excellent DLC. Civ 6 is really pretty outstanding overall.

I full intend to play Civ 7 as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDub06
AG
I saw Civ VI was marked down a TON on the Switch a couple of months ago, so I went ahead and bought it. Not sure I'll ever play it on the Switch, but it's Civilization...

I think if they offered it for download on my refrigerator, I'd probably pull the trigger.
AgBQ-00
AG
I play it on the Switch and it is surprisingly easy to do with a controller.

KidDoc
AG
CDub06 said:

I saw Civ VI was marked down a TON on the Switch a couple of months ago, so I went ahead and bought it. Not sure I'll ever play it on the Switch, but it's Civilization...

I think if they offered it for download on my refrigerator, I'd probably pull the trigger.
I play it on my Zfold phone. Works great!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
aggiez03
AG
Civ 6 is $5.99 on Steam thru 9/2

https://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI/

Civ 6 Platinum is $11.85
Platinum has 8 additional DLC addons...
https://store.steampowered.com/bundle/12218/Sid_Meiers_Civilization_VI__Platinum_Edition/

Tempted to buy, but wife already on me about too much gaming with HOI4 and COH2...
Fenrir
Civ 6 anthology which includes everything is like $25. Is the added content over platinum worth it?

Gotta check my laptops for system requirements I guess.
AgBQ-00
AG
Link to Civ7 preview live stream

Getting started at 330CT

Fenrir
Gameplay reveal trailer
Fenrir
AgBQ-00 said:

Link to Civ7 preview live stream

Getting started at 330CT
The countdown portion of the stream has had some really cool history of the previous entries. Way better than a lot of generic countdowns you typically get.
AgBQ-00
AG
I've had it on while I work and I agree. IV is the one that really hooked me

IrishAg
Wow, being able to change leaders with each ERA so that you have specific bonuses for that era.

Also, looks like rivers will be more part of the game.
IrishAg
Ok, it's now Ages not the ERA for those changes. Once you hit a new age, you can choose a new civilization based on your starting choice and your gameplay choices as the foundation for the possible choices for the new age (3 ages total, antiquity, exploration, and modern age).
Fenrir
Absolutely love the art style. Big improvement over 6 imo.

Not at all sure about the "change your civ" gameplay component. I like the ability to change certain things as you select/change aspects through different ages/eras but it feels weird to me actually changing your selected civ. Like going from Egypt to Mongolia is just a wtf to me.
IrishAg
Fenrir said:

Not at all sure about the "change your civ" gameplay component. I like the ability to change certain things as you select/change aspects through different ages/eras but it feels weird to me actually changing your selected civ. Like going from Egypt to Mongolia is just a wtf to me.
True, but I do like it's up to choice and you can stay and upgrade or move to a new group. I do believe the Mongols attempted to conquer Egypt at one point, but never did. So probably not that crazy

And agree 100% on the art style, it looks amazing so far.
AgBQ-00
AG
I like the layering, it is going to create so many advantages and disadvantages to choices you make all along the way. Bringing the rivers into the equation as actual playable areas vs just being there and having some movement/attack penalties could be game changing. Excited about the possibilities of this.

IrishAg
Fenrir said:

So was watching the video again, and it looks like you're choice will be determined by specific accomplishments, technologies researched, etc. I don't think you can just randomly select a different civilization for a new age (although I bet someone workshops that), but you will be given choice based on the actions you took.
Fenrir
IrishAg said:

Fenrir said:

True, but I do like it's up to choice and you can stay and upgrade or move to a new group. I do believe the Mongols attempted to conquer Egypt at one point, but never did. So probably not that crazy

Yeah but that is one civ conquering another and is already well covered in the traditional gameplay loop. I do like the idea of having some choice and changes in gameplay style as you go through different ages it just seems weird to me to be like "welp, guess I'll be Mongolia now". Maybe it just wasn't really well shown in the stream but it just feels odd to me.

Navigable rivers could be a great gameplay change and honestly considering how important they have been throughout human history it kind of makes me wonder what took so long to implement this.
IrishAg
Fenrir said:

IrishAg said:

Fenrir said:

Yeah but that is one civ conquering another and is already well covered in the traditional gameplay loop. I do like the idea of having some choice and changes in gameplay style as you go through different ages it just seems weird to me to be like "welp, guess I'll be Mongolia now". Maybe it just wasn't really well shown in the stream but it just feels odd to me.

Navigable rivers could be a great gameplay change and honestly considering how important they have been throughout human history it kind of makes me wonder what took so long to implement this.
100% agree on the rivers, I've never understood why they we'e alway just an environmental feature with limited uses.

Watching the stream again, it seemed like if you took your civilization down the route of researching more warlike technology, building multiple horse stables, expanding quickly then you would be given the ability to move into the mongol civilization that better represents those things, or stay as egytpian. I might be reading too much into it, but it seems like the choices for a new civilization in an age is driven by how you played the game in the previous age.
Fenrir
I get that as the gameplay component it is, it just doesn't make sense to me as a narrative device within the game. Presumably you're changing from <civ a> to <civ b> without any real impetus. If there was some sort of narrative force driving that change it at least makes sense. A revolt if you're doing poorly, a marriage alliance with a city state, etc. It just seems like the era changes and you get to call yourself something different. Personally I would like it better if they had different tracks you could go down at each era. Ancient I choose to be expansionistic and that has certain bonuses and drawbacks. Then as a result maybe that changes the options available to me in the future or even changes how the option I make next plays out in terms of bonuses/drawbacks. I'm still <civ a> but the gameplay loop has tons of possibilities.

The way it is now in my mind it feels like it's going to be well they're England but they're actually Ghandi's India so I need to be wary of getting nuked randomly.

Btw I totally get I may be the weirdo on this. This concept looks to be nearly copied from Humankind which is a fairly successful game in its own right (but it's also a reason why I never really could sink into it).
IrishAg
Fenrir said:

I get that as the gameplay component it is, it just doesn't make sense to me as a narrative device within the game. Presumably you're changing from <civ a> to <civ b> without any real impetus. If there was some sort of narrative force driving that change it at least makes sense. A revolt if you're doing poorly, a marriage alliance with a city state, etc. It just seems like the era changes and you get to call yourself something different. Personally I would like it better if they had different tracks you could go down at each era. Ancient I choose to be expansionistic and that has certain bonuses and drawbacks. Then as a result maybe that changes the options available to me in the future or even changes how the option I make next plays out in terms of bonuses/drawbacks. I'm still <civ a> but the gameplay loop has tons of possibilities.

The way it is now in my mind it feels like it's going to be well they're England but they're actually Ghandi's India so I need to be wary of getting nuked randomly.

Btw I totally get I may be the weirdo on this. This concept looks to be nearly copied from Humankind which is a fairly successful game in its own right (but it's also a reason why I never really could sink into it).
True, I think they're taking some from humankind and changing it so that it's not just random changes, but more curated what if style things.

Quote:

But that is actually more realistic if you think about it, as an age changes so do the principles and priorities of an empire. I also don't think an Age change is going to be like the old Eras, they made seem like it was going to be more of an event with fundamental changes to the world type of thing (again not for certain as they have time to change all of this).

Overall, when you think of the evolution of civilizations in real life over long periods of time, they have very different political points of view, military power, and philosophical changes during the different time periods. I think that's what they're trying to better represent with this (at least I hope), but I'm guessing I'm close since some of the leaders you can choose are not just political, they mentioned non-political philosophical leaders, religious leaders, and scientific leaders (Ben Franklin was in there).

I think this can be really good if it's done in a way that's natural, and could have happened if events in real history went differently.
Lathspell
AG
I'm so bad at the Civ games, but that doesn't keep me from playing hours and hours of them. I do wish I was better, but I just don't want to learn to be that good. Seems like a pain to learn all the mechanics to be that good.
Fenrir
First breakdown from someone that has had a hands on w/ Civ 7:

Breaks down his experience into the good, the bad, and the ugly.
IrishAg
Fenrir said:

First breakdown from someone that has had a hands on w/ Civ 7:

Breaks down his experience into the good, the bad, and the ugly.
Wow, that's a long breakdown

Also found this guy who break things into different parts

This is a really good breakdown on the new cities only, builders are gone, different types of tiles, multiple buildings can be placed on a tile depending on the tile.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.