Selling a car that doesn't run

1,409 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Rexter
AW 1880
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a 2012 Ford Edge Limited with 100k miles. Interior and exterior are about an 8 out 10. It was only driven around town for the last 10 years.

Well, a few months ago there was some type of failure. I'm guessing blown head gasket (lost all oil but still runs), but need to confirm. Assuming a blown head gasket, what are folks thoughts on selling it? I really don't want to mess with fixing it.

In return for the board's advice, I will soon be posting photos of the frame off restoration of my 1978 CJ-7. It's ready for paint at the moment.
Bronco6Gen
There's nothing wrong with selling it as is if you aren't concerned about getting a fair value. If you want to get what it's worth, then you need a professional estimate of what the failure is and how much it will cost to fix it. How long did it run after dumping the oil?
a07nathanb
AG
Call your local wrench a part/pick n pull. Better yet call a couple and get bids.

I've had good luck with the one in Killeen. They gave me first number that seemed slightly low for condition. I sent in pictures and they bumped the number to what I felt was fair
AW 1880
AG
A couple of miles. There was still a little oil in it when we parked it. I started it while it still had a little oil and the motor runs fine.
Rexter
I'll start at $350
Redstone
AG
Not familiar with doing this
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Runs and drives? Fill the oil back up and sell it to carmax/texas direct
JamesPShelley
January this year sold our 2012 Edge Sport with 225K on it. Like yours... likely blew a head gasket. Oil was a milkshake. "We'll buy your non-running car" outfits offered me ~$350. Interior was 9/10. Exterior 7/10. New tires... brakes.

Sold it to a twenty-something for $500.

That was one dependable vehicle... with regular maintenance.

GLWS
Rexter
Status?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.