New Truck Questions

2,239 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Courtesy Flush
tmaggie50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am at 160K miles on my 2014 F-150 and starting to get my mind around buying a new one. I have only ever owned F-150s and tend to keep them for as long as possible. I drive downtown most everyday and am only pulling trailers about 10 times a year, but that could increase in the next 2-3 years. I of course would love to go up in size to a 3/4 ton for the size and feel of them plus the towing abilities despite my relatively minimal use. the price has always kept me in the half ton.

What are the thoughts on the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton Silverado's compared to Ford? Silverado's appear to be ~20% cheaper than their counterpart Ford model. Knowing my usage, what am I giving up with the Silverado compared to the Ford? If I go with a 3/4 ton, what am I giving up with a gas 3/4 v diesel?

Thanks for the help
FightinTAC08
AG
I can't comment on ford vs Chevy, but you are saying you drive downtown. I'm guessing that's a metro downtown. Many parking garages will not accommodate the height of today's 3/4 tons. One of a couple reasons I didn't go with a n f250 over my f150.
sushi94
AG
also can't comment on Ford vs. Chevy but another consideration is ride comfort - 3/4 ton will be stiffer than the 1/2 ton - you will need to determine if its worth it for the 10 times/yr you tow. Also will you really need a 3/4 to tow what you are currently hauling.
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
LZO Duramax would do you just fine.
Dr. Nefario
IB4 the Titan crowd shows up.
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
TecRecAg
AG
I've owned several F-150s and 250s. The short of it is, if you don't really need the 250, don't do it. The associated costs with maintenance (if you go diesel) just isn't worth it.

When it comes to the 1/2 platforms, both are fine trucks. I would say if you enjoy tech and flashy bells and whistles, the Ford is going to be your best bet. However, Chevy has recently stepped it up in that regard over the last year or two.

I was in Ford's forever and bought my first Silverado Trail Boss 2 years ago. I don't see myself going back to Ford. What they want for an F-150 with same options as a Silverado isn't worth it to me.
Corps_Ag12
AG
My only comment is the seats in the 2023 F150 rental Lariat are 10x more comfortable to sit in all day than my 2023 Silverado LTZ
PrestigeWorldwideAg12
Got into a 2024 AT4 LZO in April after totaling the 2022 F150 Tremor 402A and honestly they are very equal to me for interior and ride quality.
aggieforester05
AG
Gas 3/4 ton if you want reliability. Pretty much all 1/2 gas engines and all diesels have sacrificed reliability for emissions/fuel economy thanks to our overzealous federal government. Gas 3/4 tons are in somewhat of a regulatory loophole at the moment. Fuel economy will not be great.
mefoghorn
AG
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/cto/d/sulphur-springs-f150-xl-crew-cab-4x4/7760206847.html

Here's mine.
Mas89
AG
Corps_Ag12 said:

My only comment is the seats in the 2023 F150 rental Lariat are 10x more comfortable to sit in all day than my 2023 Silverado LTZ
This. And gmc/ Denali/ at4, Chevy premium etc. Ford seats are 10x more comfortable
HumbleAg04
AG
3/4 Ton gasser if you don't have significant towing requirements.

Whichever flavor pleases you. Don't sleep on Ram. Ford to fit in here, GMC AT4 to look the best.
Restco
Take 'em for a ride. I have a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 with all the bells and whistles and my son has a Ford 150 Lariat. The Ford rides much better than the JImmy, but I do enjoy my heated/air conditioned seats. If I buy another one, it will be the Ford.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Is an F250 really that much more expensive than a comparable F150? Obviously the diesel engine drives the cost up but otherwise I don't remember the price difference to be near as much as I anticipated.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.