Choose from the following 3 bikes

1,855 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Rattler12
Aggie Dad 26
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I would be buying used and please don't base your vote on paint color. I've never owned a bike and want something light, easy to ride, cheap, and comfortable.

Yamaha bolt spec r

Honda shadow phantom

Honda Rebel
drumboy
AG
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

light, easy to ride, cheap, and comfortable.
Might look at the Suzuki DR650 and Honda XR650.
FallsonbrazosAg91
AG
Pic #1
By a long shot!!!
Rexter
You might want to sit on a cruiser and see if you are comfortable with your feet out front. I can't tolerate that position for very long.
Aggie Dad 26
Rexter said:

You might want to sit on a cruiser and see if you are comfortable with your feet out front. I can't tolerate that position for very long.

With these three options, are moving them to the standard position, possible? I don't want forward controls
Rexter
Aggie Dad 26 said:

Rexter said:

With these three options are moving them to the standard position, possible? I don't want forward controls

Not that I'm aware of. Being your first ride, and you want a standard, look at an older Bandit 600 or Honda Nighthawk. If you don't plan on riding on a regular basis, try to get something that is fuel injected so you don't have to learn to clean carbs.
tx1c
AG
I started with the Bolt nine years ago and still have it.
The Honda in the second pic seems to be a popular model and would probably be good.
Avoid the Rebel. By comparison it's puny. Unless you're a small guy, you'll be ready for something a bit more substantial very soon.
javajaws
AG
If you don't like forward controls I'd probably suggest a different style bike. Maybe more of an adventure bike or entry sport tourer? Do you like leaning back, sitting up straight, or leaning forward (although that can always be adjusted slightly with risers or different bars)?

Maybe something like the cb500x?
Stat Monitor Repairman
Top two are heavy at ~550 lbs.
Green2Maroon
AG
Most cruisers aren't very light. You might be better off on a newer Rebel 500 maybe. I haven't had a bike in over a decade and thinking of getting a small adventure bike or something like that.
Aggie Dad 26
javajaws said:

If you don't like forward controls I'd probably suggest a different style bike. Maybe more of an adventure bike or entry sport tourer? Do you like leaning back, sitting up straight, or leaning forward (although that can always be adjusted slightly with risers or different bars)?

Maybe something like the cb500x?
My preference is sitting upright. I have some health issues to consider. Regardless of which bike I end up with, it will never be a daily driver. I'm looking for some wind therapy, driving down some country roads during nice weather...
Green2Maroon
AG
A lot of dual sport and adventure bikes would probably fit the bill then.
maverick2076
KLR 650
Versys 650
Royal Enfield Interceptor
Even a Ninja 650 (not a ZX6)

All better, more comfortable options
Green2Maroon
AG
Or even a CRF 300 Rally.
drumboy
AG
[url=https://ts.la/erik936611]https://ts.la/erik936611[/url]
Use my referral link to buy a Tesla and get awards like 3 months of Full Self-Driving Capability.

Schedule a Tesla Demo Drive using my referral link.
Roland Schitt
AG
drumboy said:

Beautiful bike. I'd love to get one, or..

Roland Schitt
AG
Aggie Dad 26 said:

I would be buying used and please don't base your vote on paint color. I've never owned a bike and want something light, easy to ride, cheap, and comfortable.

Yamaha bolt spec r

Honda shadow phantom

Honda Rebel

The Honda CB650R might be worth looking into as well. More of an upright riding position. Also, the Triumph Trident 660.

Tim Weaver
I used to always suggest the SV650 as the best beginner bike on the planet, because it truly is light and easy enough to learn on even if you've never ridden a bike, but also just a great all-around bike that you won't ever get tired of.

Today the KTM Duke 390 might have that spot. Its a tough choice between these two now, but I still think I'd go SV650
theJonatron
AG
The bolt and it's not even close for the other 2

I have had 5 motorcycles and race on the track. If you ride every other weekend you are going to get tired of underpowered motorcycles within 3 months.

I started on a ninja 650 and sold it within 4-5 months. I do think that is the best starter motorcycle. The ninja 650 is MUCH slower and relaxed than their 600 which is their mid-super bike model.

I don't ride on the street anymore. Too many close calls with cars. I'm a track only guy now and have a sports car when I want to have fun on Sundays outside of the track

If I did go with another street bike I'd probably get an Indian or bmw 9t. Always wear a helmet and dress for the slide, not the ride.
javajaws
AG
I've got a Tiger Sport 660 you might be interested in. I've been thinking about selling it since I end up riding my Spyder with my wife more. I think it's a great upper range beginner bike since it's got a mild throttle response and I find the balance and seating position great.
Rattler12
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.