Dealer service labor hourly rate fees

1,034 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by malenurse
milkman00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What is your dealer charging for labor? Make, rate, and location?

Ram Taylor and San Marcos were both at $210/hr. Are these the normal rates now across brands and the state?

Anyone have a good AC repair shop for a '13 Ram north of Austin?
Mookie
AG
I have used OTS automotive on pond springs for some work on my expedition turbo. They seemed fair and very nice people.

The owner's son was a former student at the local HS auto tech program (McNeil). I'm friends with the teacher and he recommended. I would use them again for sure.
JB
AG
Don't take your 11 year old Dodge to a dealership for repair work that is not under warranty.
Flaith
AG
What JB said.

I know you were asking for specific recommendations, but my process for this would be: Go to google maps, center the map on your general area, type in "Car AC repair", click through the options, read reviews, call around to a couple of them to discuss your issues and to get an idea of cost.
milkman00
AG
It's an older client's truck that is set in his ways.

I'm trying to give him best advice and help that I can. If I can't get some personal experiences for third party mechanics to give him, he will end up at the dealer again.

I haven't had any non warranty work at dealers lately and was shocked that hourly rates were that high.
txyaloo
AG
$125-350/hr depending on brand and independent vs dealer.

AC service is expensive these days. Pre-covid, I could get a 30lb bottle of R134a refrigerant for ~$100. Today, that's $450. R1234YF is even more crazy.
Jason_Roofer
I've used Carlisle AC in San Antonio. Not sure how they compare rate wise but they use aftermarket parts and prices are in line with other independent shops. AC did not work when I took my stuff in. It did work when I got it back.

My price wasn't what I felt was "a great deal", but I took two trucks in in March. It's now August and 103 and I feel a lot better about the price now.

AC is one of those things where you pay 800 to install a 50 dollar part. There is a lot to it and I don't feel like buying the equipment to do the work myself. I've had 5 AC repairs on 4 trucks in 25 years.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
milkman00
AG
The Aggie Network has resolved part of this issue. Have a lead on a trusted mechanic at $100/hr for labor.

Still can't believe what dealers are charging.

malenurse
AG
Gotta pay for fancy dealerships somehow
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.