F-150 Maintenance Estimate

1,309 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by theJonatron
ETX14.16
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Called an independent auto shop I've used in the past to get an estimate on transmission drain/fill, and replacing spark plugs - was not expecting the almost $900 price tag. Does that sound reasonable? 2020 F150, 10-speed with 2.7

Had a suburban taken to same shop last year for transmission service only and that ran about $375
JamesPShelley
Unreasonable $$$. Shop around.
austinag1997
AG
ETX14.16 said:

Called an independent auto shop I've used in the past to get an estimate on transmission drain/fill, and replacing spark plugs - was not expecting the almost $900 price tag. Does that sound reasonable? 2020 F150, 10-speed with 2.7

Had a suburban taken to same shop last year for transmission service only and that ran about $375

1 hr of work for both. $275 labor + plugs and hyraulic fluid. Maybe some shop supplies.
ETX14.16
AG
Thanks, I'll keep shopping the transmission service. I was feeling lazy, but looks like I'll just do the plugs myself.
dodger02
AG
I think that's about what I paid in two different visits to indy shops for my 2.7L.

But the shop I used overfilled my transmission and it overheated. Pay attention.
ETX14.16
AG
Update here…after deciding to change the plugs myself the truck developed a misfire on cylinder 3. Obviously this timing was too convenient for it to be anything other than related to my changing the plugs out.

It would only misfire going 60+ mph and then really getting on the gas. I've been busy and could keep it from acting up by just being easy on the pedal so a month went by.

Research was pointing me towards a cracked spark plug and once I had time to get into it this weekend…sure enough. Cracked right up the ceramic. Torque spec of 7-12 lbs is no joke. And cylinder 3 is a pain to get to.
SnowboardAg
AG
The shop supplies seems like the most obscure charge ever. Not sure I understand how that's determined.
Jason_Roofer
SnowboardAg said:

The shop supplies seems like the most obscure charge ever. Not sure I understand how that's determined.

All of that is determined by a program to my knowledge. It's a safe price to charge for the average job. In the case of the OP, that cost would have covered the cracked plug replacement and diagnosis. Sometimes things don't go right and this way the shop doesn't have to charge you again for the extra work.

As for the plug, that sucks, but I've never torqued any of my plugs. I put anti seize on them and seat them. Then I give them less than 1/8 turn more and call it good.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
theJonatron
AG
I just shopped around for what you were inquiring for.

Some shops over estimate for the transmission fluid exchange because the pan doesn't have a plug. you have to drop the whole pan to drain the fluid. if they don't have experience or the proper tools, that can take a long time, but the service techs at Ford shops shouldn't charge more than $300 for this.

I did oil, all filters, coolant, spark plugs, and tire rotation for about $550 at an independent in Dallas. Their charge for transmission would have been about the same, so I kept that out.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.