Alignment advice needed

1,363 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by trip98
trip98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've had ford trucks for decades. Wife had minivans last 2 vehicles. All kept for a long time each (i.e. 10 years). I've very rarely had to get alignment work done so this is somewhat new territory for me AND it's with a vehicle we're not familiar with.

In November, wife bought a '21 Lexus ES 350 with 9,000 miles on it. When she bought it they had replaced 1 tire so the other 3 were the original. She took it to Northside Lexus for oil change and tire rotation and the bill was much higher than we're used to. I knew it being Lexus would be more than Ford but it was almost $300. She said they charged her for tire rotation which she can get for free at discount tire. She's due for another oil change so last weekend she took it to Discount Tire for the tire rotation. It's by our house and she called and they said all bays were open so it was super quick and convenient. But when they took the tires off 3 of them had a lot of wear on the inside of the tires. Close to bald on the inside and one was showing signs in the center that it needed replaced so we went ahead and replaced all 4. Tire pressure seems to have been fine all this time as she says she's never received a tire pressure warning.

So now I don't know if its the alignment is off but that would be my guess. Hopefully not off both front and rear and the only reason 3 tires are showing wear is because we did have them rotated.

What I see online suggests for this car to get alignment checked every 10k miles. Which to me seems very odd

What should I expect for alignment for this car?
Is it that sensitive of a car that needs alignment periodically?
Take to Lexus dealer or alignment shop (i.e. Beasley by us is where my mechanic takes all of his cars)?
Stat Monitor Repairman
If you just put on four new tires get it aligned as soon as you can.
mefoghorn
AG
Get it aligned somewhere that will stand behind it with a warranty, and make sure tires are not being over-inflated. This often happens at each oil change.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Quote:

and make sure tires are not being over-inflated.
Find that shops always over inflate by a lot.

Doesn't matter where, will always be 8-10 lbs or more over.

Sometimes think they do it on purpose so tires wear faster.
agnerd
AG
click here for firestone lifetime alignment

click the $20 off coupon in the upper right corner.
Take it there every 10,000 miles.

On the inside wear, some luxury cars and performance cars will add camber to the wheels so that they can advertise and achieve better cornering. Wheels that are angled out at the bottom corner better but eat the inside of the tire. Most mechanics will only align to factory specs even if you ask them to align you wheels more vertically.
CanyonAg77
AG
Dude, you're keeping cars for 10 years and not aligning the front end?
austinag1997
AG
Hang tight. Is it AWD?
trip98
AG
okay to answer a couple of questions...
When I posted we were already planning on getting alignment checked on Friday. Wife got out early and took to Beasley tire. Below is pic of what they gave her with ultimate result of NO work being done. my apologies as I was rushing at work yesterday and didn't add enough color on the picture.
They did NOT do an alignment service. In the picture the Before aspect is what her current alignment is with the rear just a touch outside of normal.
Tech told my wife it wasn't enough to be concerned about. Then he said, if they tried to correct the rear it's difficult to do and if they did that it would subsequently mess with the front alignment. The result of which is the AFTER picture. They would then need to do MORE work to adjust the front

So, is he right? I've heard mixed signals on such a situation.
Or is he saying that knowing it will continue to wear tires unevenly and we'll be buying new tires again sooner?

I drove it yesterday and it rides nice and straight and smooth. No pulling.

I'm guessing its what I thought answer B would be that others have touched on....the tires have not been properly inflated.

I suggested when she goes in for oil change (likely at Lexus) she has them check alignment also. It's only like $40 and will give us 2nd look at it.

As I said above, I've done alignments on my cars but not frequently. And certainly not after just 20k miles. I've usually only done them later in the life of the car. This car is at 20k miles and I've never had a car need an alignment that early

no, it's not AWD

txyaloo
AG
Their after measurements are worse than their before. Not sure I'd have accepted that

You need to get the toe fixed. it'll wear the inside/outside edges of the tire like the 3 close to bald on the inside tires you mentioned.
Ag for Life
AG
It's a bummer getting the clueless tech.

I had this happen with my old Camaro, one tech was clueless and made it worse. They couldn't figure it out as I had installed different front control arms. Gave up there and took it to a local Firestone of all places and that tech had it perfectly aligned in like 10 minutes.
trip98
AG
my apologies as I was rushing at work yesterday and didn't add enough color on the picture.
They did NOT do an alignment service. In the picture the Before aspect is what her current alignment is with the rear just a touch outside of normal.
Tech told my wife it wasn't enough to be concerned about. Then he said, if they tried to correct the rear it's difficult to do and if they got it would mess with the front alignment. The result of which is the AFTER picture. They would then need to do MORE work to adjust the front

So, is he right? I've heard mixed signals on such a situation.
Or is he saying that knowing it will continue to wear tires unevenly and we'll be buying new tires again sooner?

I drove it yesterday and it rides nice and straight and smooth. No pulling.

I've added the above to my post with picture for clarity
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Oem Lexus tires are trash.

Get some good ones and go to Arivex for an alignment.
Dr. Nefario
So is Southwest Alignment no longer your go-to alignment shop?
“You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong.” -Abraham Lincoln

“Veganism is like communism. They’re both fine… unless you like food.”
1agswitchin4lanes
AG
Dr. Nefario said:

So is Southwest Alignment no longer your go-to alignment shop?

Not since the old man died.

The guy that runs it now is a meth head. Been going to Arivex for 5 years now.
trip98
AG
With this new to me make and type of car how often should I get alignment checked?
20k miles?
Only if notice pulling or uneven wear?
Hit curb or big pothole?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.