GMC 3500 Duramax - Shocks

534 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Chewy
Ag by Association
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Daily driver with 65,000 miles and am wanting to replace the factory shocks. It's a single wheel with a Neckover flatbed.

What are the best replacements out there? Normally pull 24' - 28' goosenecks.
Chewy
AG
This is just my personal experience based on my 2008 Duramax with 250K miles.

About 4 years ago I replaced the factory shocks with Bilsteins. I was at about 200K then.

This past summer I took my truck in to my mechanic for a power steering issue. He said my front end was pretty bad off with some bad wear on a few components but clear vibration issues. He said the front shocks were shot from all the vibration.

I told him I wanted to go back with the Bilsteins and he said to just get Monroe heavy duty shocks. He said they're designed better for that truck.

I went to RockAuto and ordered them. I sometimes order the parts for him because I can get them cheaper and he doesn't want to mess with parts delivery other than his local supply houses.

Maybe it's in my head but I feel those Monroe's that cost 25% of the Bilsteins ride much better going up and down the road.

Some will argue this but my plan is to replace them with every set of tires. They're $30 a shock and takes me about two hours. Probably a little overkill and unnecessary but man I really love the ride of my truck right now.

It obviously may vary for you but I was amazed what a set of $30 shocks did.
EskimoJoe
I've had the opposite luck with Bilsteins. I run them on the crewcab 4x4 duramax and the 1993 single cab 2wd 3/4 ton with a service bed. I really like them even though I find the yellow color slightly annoying.
Chewy
AG
To be clear I didn't hate the Bilsteins. They wore out due to my front end issues. I don't blame the shock.

The Bilsteins rode like a performance car responding quicker. The Monroes are like a luxury car smoothing the ride out.

Just different rides. I mainly ride up and down the road in Houston and like the Monroes better for that. These streets suck. My truck now feels like an old Cadillac or Lincoln Town Car. It's not bouncy but just smooth and not jarring at all.

Sure, it's still a 3/4 ton diesel so it's not like a Cadillac but I'm talking in relative terms to how the truck had ridden in the past.

I've only trailered with utility trailer bumper pulls and they've been fine.

I think my biggest thing is the price. For $120 for a set I've got a shock I really like.

I'm also old so I'm getting to the point where that Cadillac ride is more appealing than a performance car.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.