Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

Something I don't understand in football

4,902 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by Divining Rod
Ian Neff
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've noticed this for years but for some reason never thought to ask.

After a touchdown, what does every single coach in CFB indicate to his team that they want to go for 1 or 2 with such FREAKiNG VIGOR? It's like they're under massive pressure to relay a message they have no hope of getting through.

Please explain.
zafzo
Because the kids are excited about the TD, celebrating and not always paying perfect attention. It's better to over communicate and get everyone on the same page.
Matsui
AG
Facts
rondis23
AG
Mike Leach never did this. I don't think I ever saw that guy get over emotional on the sideline, or emotional period. He just stood there quietly waving his little Pirate hands. RIP Pirate.
JDCAG (NOT Colin)
AG
Keep in mind, you're talking about Elko telling them to go for 2 to get us to a more even margin.

At that point in the game, many of the kids are probably on auto pilot coming off the field, so he has to get their attention.

I doubt he'd have been so animated if he were going for 1, cause that is what most of the players would have probably just naturally expected after a TD.
GolfAg93
S
It's rare you see a coach indicate going for 1 with a ton of vigor. More just routine.

It's actually because of that routine that they indicate going for 2 with a ton of enthusiasm. Most players don't have the situational awareness to snap out of the routine and understand going for 2 is the correct decision. Gotta get their attention and make sure they're locked in for the conversion attempt.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
And what's the deal with airplane food?
Tex117
AG
I swear some of y'all are on the spectrum
JJxvi
AG
rondis23 said:

Mike Leach never did this. I don't think I ever saw that guy get over emotional on the sideline, or emotional period. He just stood there quietly waving his little Pirate hands. RIP Pirate.

I'm not sure if this is referencing this, but there is a hilarious video where a Washington State graduate assistant is telling Leach they should go for two and the win, and Leach just stares off into the distance ignoring the guy right in front of him. The guy continues to try and get in front of his face and make eye contact and Leach just looks off other directions.

William K. Klingaman
And why do all the coaches and players have to hold 4 fingers up to let me know it's the 4th quarter?
Ian Neff
AG
Oh for REAL!!
Fatboy Thaddeus
Great observation OP. If the HC is going to be so empahtic, who are we to stand in the way of destiny? We need a new Tradition to pass it back.
rootube
AG
It's called excitement. It's slowly returning to our program.
Gig em G
AG
I'd love to find that footage somewhere.

Leach was a national treasure.
JustisWalkert
AG
92_Ag
AG
Rectitude
AG
92_Ag said:

This is hilarious
BadMoonRisin
AG
As much as he owned a&m, I really miss him and was sad when he passed last year.

RIP coach leach.

We should retroactively forfeit one of Frans wins over him so he can be eligible for the Hall of Fame. He's literally 1 game under .600 which makes him ineligible.
Aston04
AG
Unlike a typical play call, it's a different unit going for two rather than kicking the extra point. Need to get the big uglies attention to hustle their a** downfield and huddle up for another play.
one safe place
Sometimes vigor and being demonstrative really pays off. I was a pretty good college football coach back in the day. We were trailing 9-0, very late in the game. We scored a touchdown to cut it to 9-6 with only a few seconds on the clock. I signaled that I wanted to go for 4, jumping up and down, hand raised high in the air, ripping both clavicles right out of my body. We executed it perfectly and my vigor kept the other team and the officials from even noticing.

I had similar situations (after clavicle replacement surgery) on extra point tries, but have to say going for 5 or 6 never worked. Few of my players could count that high.
Jarrin' Jay
AG
Just be glad we have a coach smart enough to immediately put up 2 fingers to go for 2 when necessary a nano-second after scoring a TD.

Fran still doesn't know, and we lost the game @ Clemson due to his stupidity. Chad Schroeder's butt wasn't even off the ground in the EZ and I already have two fingers in the air up in the stands. Fran didn't understand, couldn't decide, and kicked the PAT to go up by 2, mid to late 4Q. Predictably we lost by 1 point when Clemson kicked a FG. Bear in mind Clemson had already kicked 4 FG and their offense had yet to score a TD that game, and didn't score a TD that game. Idiot.
greg.w.h
AG
Because play clocks run out and you get penalties???
StinkyPinky
AG
I wonder if this also explains why my wife gives me the middle finger when I suggest we go to the bedroom….
Krautag81
If you have a pulse, every touchdown brings excitement and during close games strategy needs to be expressed dramatically.
Johnsy3
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

As much as he owned a&m, I really miss him and was sad when he passed last year.

RIP coach leach.

We should retroactively forfeit one of Frans wins over him so he can be eligible for the Hall of Fame. He's literally 1 game under .600 which makes him ineligible.
Fran managed a win against Leach? It sure doesn't feel like it

The 3 losses in '06 by a combined 6 points really haunts me. Well, that and the blowout to Cal.
Bobby Jimbo
AG
Tex117 said:

Actually everyone is on the spectrum.
tk111
AG
92_Ag said:

haha I remember this and have no hesitation in believing he was purely f***ing with that guy for his own enjoyment
Ag in ATL
AG
William K. Klingaman said:

And why do all the coaches and players have to hold 4 fingers up to let me know it's the 4th quarter?

They're not telling you, they're reminding each other and telling the opponent "we own the 4th quarter". It started at the U and other teams have picked it up over the years.
NyAggie
AG
Jarrin' Jay said:

Just be glad we have a coach smart enough to immediately put up 2 fingers to go for 2 when necessary a nano-second after scoring a TD.

Fran still doesn't know, and we lost the game @ Clemson due to his stupidity. Chad Schroeder's butt wasn't even off the ground in the EZ and I already have two fingers in the air up in the stands. Fran didn't understand, couldn't decide, and kicked the PAT to go up by 2, mid to late 4Q. Predictably we lost by 1 point when Clemson kicked a FG. Bear in mind Clemson had already kicked 4 FG and their offense had yet to score a TD that game, and didn't score a TD that game. Idiot.

I was at that game. Still stings to this day. What a freakin moron. I wonder sometimes how some of these coaches make it as far as they do when they can't even make easy, fundamental decisions.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
StinkyPinky said:

I wonder if this also explains why my wife gives me the middle finger when I suggest we go to the bedroom….
So is her name StinkyMiddleFinger?
Honolulu Blue
I love texags
Aggie Dad 26
NyAggie said:

Jarrin' Jay said:

I was at that game. Still stings to this day. What a freakin moron. I'm wonder sometimes how some of these coaches make it as far as they do when they can't even make easy, fundamental decisions.

This. All of it
Aggie_Nuke
AG
Problem with Elko was he gave a "hook 'em" sign when he was signalling to go for two points ! Someone needs to tell him to STOP THAT !

The ONLY valid ANNUAL goal for ALL Aggie Sports is a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!

Gig'em !
FTAC '73
DelValAg
Tex117 said:

or speculum
Divining Rod
StinkyPinky said:

try holding up 3 fingers- you might get lucky!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.