One of the good guys in MLB hangs it up

945 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by AustinAg2K
TarponChaser
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Joey Votto Announces his retirement

Hall of Fame or Hall of Very Good?
Mr.Ackar07
Jay Jaffe thinks so, and I agree with him:

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/cooperstown-notebook-the-2024-progress-report-part-ii/

Quote:

With seven on-base titles, six All-Star selections, a Gold Glove, an MVP award, 2,135 hits, and 356 homers, his counting stats aren't overwhelming, but he's cleared the peak and JAWS standards for first basemen, ranking ninth in the former category and 12th in the latter, ahead of the just-inducted Todd Helton in both. Throw in his status as a media favorite, and I think we'll see him in Cooperstown soon enough.
Career WAR: 64.5 (HOF Standard: 64.8)
Peak WAR: 46.9 (42.0)
JAWS: 55.7 (53.4)
W
AG
gets a bump for playing his entire career with one team (Reds)

never took the field for the Blue Jays this year

-----

and worth checking and mentioning...

career home OPS --> .930

career road OPS ---> .912

was also a great hitter outside the friendly confines of Great American Ballpark
_lefraud_
AG
If Harold Baines is in, Joey Votto will be in.

For me, I'm fine with him in, but won't lose sleep if he doesn't make it.
jkag89
Borderline HoFer IMO. Voto's limited postseason appearances might keep him out. It is not his fault that the teams he was apart of rarely made the postseason but it limited the number of times he might of had a moment on the big stage that might sway voters in favor of his induction.
94chem
Guys, this isn't even debatable. He's easily a Hall of Famer. 17 seasons, CAREER .409 OBP. 356 HR. 7x black ink for OBP. 1 MVP. 6x top 10 MVP.
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
AustinAg2K
I've never thought of him as a Hall of Famer, but looking at his numbers, he almost certainly is. The only reason it's not a foregone conclusion is that he played for the Reds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.