Vacation hangovers...

1,691 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 6 days ago by MouthBQ98
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just suck. I keep thinking back "a month ago I was on a ship on the way to Alaska..."

Damn. All that tells me is I want another vacation. I gotta wait till close to Christmas for that, though. It's a good one - India with my family to take my daughter in law there for the first time.

But I have a few months still to go.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
The struggle is real.
Hoyt Ag
AG
2 weeks ago I was on the tail end of a 3 week diving trip across the Philippines. I was diving with whale sharks, turtles and every fish imaginable.

Tonight I am in the liberal cesspool of Denver giving a speech to the POS governor and lawmakers tomorrow.

The hangover is real. I booked 2 weeks in Peru this morning for February.
Fins Up!
AG
I enjoy reflecting and thinking about a good trip. Especially a trip that becomes a part of you.

I haven't had much time to reflect on my trip to Yosemite, Sequoia, and Kings Canyon this summer, because I had a distraction. Now I am able to reflect, and I really had a great trip. Thinking about it brings me pleasure. I love a good trip hangover.
TXTransplant
It's a real thing. As much as I'm ready to come home at the end of a trip (mainly because I know it's over and just want to be home as quick as possible), I can't wait for the next one.

Also, I can't stand it if I don't have an upcoming trip planned. It kind of gives me anxiety, and I'll start just randomly searching different locations for flights, accommodations, etc.

When my son was at home, that long stretch between Christmas and our summer trip was like torture. Now that he's in college, I'm trying to plan something in between.

Part of the reason I post my travels on Instagram is so I can go back and look at the pics/videos.
Fins Up!
AG
Totally agree! I love traveling and wanderlust is a big part of who I am. So much to see and do. I have three trips planned right now, and I cannot wait!
arrow
AG
My favorite thing in life has become trip planning (and the actual trip). Now that my kids are a little older and starting to join, it's only become more fun.
Bachelor99
AG
TXTransplant said:

It's a real thing. As much as I'm ready to come home at the end of a trip (mainly because I know it's over and just want to be home as quick as possible), I can't wait for the next one.

Also, I can't stand it if I don't have an upcoming trip planned. It kind of gives me anxiety, and I'll start just randomly searching different locations for flights, accommodations, etc.

When my son was at home, that long stretch between Christmas and our summer trip was like torture. Now that he's in college, I'm trying to plan something in between.

Part of the reason I post my travels on Instagram is so I can go back and look at the pics/videos.
it sounds like an addiction.... a healthy addiction!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Is "vacation hangover" a new way of saying "making good memories" these days? I can't keep up.

But for real, the return to routine after a great travel experience is the ****ing worst.
TXTransplant
Bachelor99 said:

TXTransplant said:

it sounds like an addiction.... a healthy addiction!

Not so healthy for the budget these days!
SbisaVictim95
AG
I always have to have something booked. I call them "lights" as in "lights at the end of the tunnel" to give me something to look forward to. Even use a countdown app on my phone.

The hangover as the OP put it usually hits me the last day or depending on the trip the day before the end when the dread of the following travel day starts to sink in.

The only time I remember not having it hit was my Vegas trip in April that I used as a kickoff to fly to Hawaii and begin a cruise. Pretty different feeling heading to LAS and thinking "wow, the trip is really just starting"
Petrino1
This is why I like having quick 3-4 day weekend trips regularly, sometimes once a month. That way I have more trips planned throughout the year as opposed to just 2-3 long ones per year.
RangerRick9211
AG
We moved to a place we found ourselves vacationing to!

Now every weekend is a mini-vacation!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
I usually have three trips in the works at any one time. Learning and planning and anticipating are fun.
MAROON
AG
A week ago I was sitting right here drinking coffee watching Impala, Kudu, waterbuck graze in the distance

malenurse
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

2 weeks ago I was on the tail end of a 3 week diving trip across the Philippines. I was diving with whale sharks, turtles and every fish imaginable.

Tonight I am in the liberal cesspool of Denver giving a speech to the POS governor and lawmakers tomorrow.

On Monday I leave for 2 weeks in Scotland.

One week after I return, the entire hospital system I work for is switching to a new software system.

FML

Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I read an actual study years ago done on what you are describing. It said that your happiness levels increase slowly for weeks leading up to a vacation, and then almost immediately drop back to baseline the moment you get back. Sorry, I read this years ago, I can't cite anything.

For me the takeaways is to always plan your vacations well in advance so you can enjoy the anticipation.
arrow
AG
WSJ had a similar article this morning (likely paywall): Peak Vacation Happiness

Conclusion: Take more frequent shorter vacations. For longer vacations, plan frequent changes of pace and variety of activities.
wangus12
AG
malenurse said:

Hoyt Ag said:

On Monday I leave for 2 weeks in Scotland.

One week after I return, the entire hospital system I work for is switching to a new software system.

FML

That is me. A month ago I was in Italy. We are switching to a new EHR software this weekend
Spore Ag
Wonder if that contributes to the jet lag factor? Just spent over a month traveling west coast of Australia and really needed to get back. Factor in tough no sleep flight from Melbourne my wife and I hit the ground running with little jet lag.
Bluecat_Aggie94
AG
I have not done much overseas travel. One trip to Europe, twice to Hawaii...

I have to say that I really, really enjoyed the planning and anticipation.

I don't really think I fall into the category I cited in the article I read.. I feel like I get enjoyment from the photos and memories for quite a while.

But I absolutely am ready to plan the next big trip. Always.
Bachelor99
AG
arrow said:

WSJ had a similar article this morning (likely paywall): Peak Vacation Happiness

Conclusion: Take more frequent shorter vacations. For longer vacations, plan frequent changes of pace and variety of activities.
what is considered a shorter and longer vacation? most of my vacations are in the 3-5 night range.....i rarely take vacations longer than a week due to work constraints.
arrow
AG
It was kind of a silly article but it described peak happiness right at 43 hours before waning due to adaptation to your surroundings. So the takeaway was more 3-4 day trips (long weekend) are good for you.
aglaohfour
AG
TXTransplant said:

Same! A few years ago, I started a ritual of booking something, anything, for my next trip while on the flight home from my current trip. It helps alleviate that slightly panicked feeling if I know that there is some sort of concrete plan for the next thing.
Ag CPA
AG
Hoyt Ag said:

Subtle brag…
Bachelor99
AG
Ag CPA said:

Hoyt Ag said:

Subtle brag…
Denverzuela
MouthBQ98
AG
After every ski trip….
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.