Weather/Seas forecast for cruise

365 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by Sea Speed
lazuras_dc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is there any app or website that can show forecasts for how rough the seas and what weather will be like for a cruise ? Headed out of Miami to Bahamas next week and just curious. I saw one online but you had a be a premium subscriber.
txags92
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Is there any app or website that can show forecasts for how rough the seas and what weather will be like for a cruise ? Headed out of Miami to Bahamas next week and just curious. I saw one online but you had a be a premium subscriber.
You can look at the GFS model's significant wave height prediction at TropicalTidbits.com. I wouldn't trust it more than about 5-6 days out, but for what you are doing it should be reasonably accurate. You can also look at the "Lower Dynamics" tab at the bottom and choose the "MSLP &10m wind" to look at the wind forecast. Under "Precip/Moisture" you can choose "MSLP & Precip" to get an idea of what rain you might see. You can advance through the slides in 6 hr increments using the left and right arrows at the top of the graphic. Keep in mind that the "valid at" time is going to be in zulu time, so subtract 4-5 hours depending on where your cruise will be that particular day. Eastern time is zulu - 5 hrs right now.

GFS Model - Significant Wave Height (Western Atlantic)
Sea Speed
AG
Windy
Fins Up!
AG
Hey buddy, I bet you'll be fine going out of South Florida! If you were headed across the Gulf…now that would be a different story.

Y'all have fun!
TXTransplant
Crossing the Gulf in Nov/Dec is brutal. I've done it twice and will never do it again.

The first cruise we took, we couldn't even go out on deck for the first two days because the weather was so bad. I did not get seasick, but it was miserable being cooped up, especially since I booked an interior room.

Second time, I did get seasick - also miserable, but at least the decks/pools were open and I could get fresh air and look at the horizon. I feel like that trip over-sensitized me, though, because I got seasick again on a glacier day cruise in Alaska and now often feel queasy when I'm out in a boat no matter what the weather.
lazuras_dc
AG
Wind and rain I don't mind but if the boats a rockin. I don't wanna be a knockin.
Sea Speed
AG
Wind builds seas and will cause the vessel to roll.

Windy should tell you everything you want to know.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.