Daytrips to Canada from Whitefish/Kalispell Montana

1,094 Views | 2 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by NASAg03
dead zip 01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cross posted here from the travel board.

We will be spending a week in Whitefish in late July and since it's so close I want to take a daytrip into Canada if for no other reason than to get my kids passports stamped.

We are a ski family so my first thought was to check out either Kimberley or Fernie but I'm open to suggestions if there are better daytrip options for a family with a 7, 10 and 12 year old.

Also, I know there are several folks on here from NW Montana so if you have any can't miss activities, restaurants, etc. beyond the obvious Glacier NP sites please share.
law-aggie90
AG
While you are in Whitefish, go eat at Swift Creek Cafe. It is Aggie owned and operated, not to mention great food. https://www.swiftcreekcafe.com/

Fernie is not a bad drive and is a fun day trip.
NASAg03
I lived in Calgary from May thru Dec 2019 and really enjoyed that area. Made a few trips down to Whitefish and Glacier, visited Fernie in summer and skied in winter. I'd recommend Kelowna and Sicamous, but that makes for long drive and might take a literal day. But you could always stay at one of the hostels in Kicking Horse which are very affordable.

The drive thru Rogers Pass is one of the most incredible, short of the drive thru Glacier. I've skied at Lake Louise, Banff, Revelstoke, Kicking Horse, and Fernie and enjoy all those towns greatly.

I'm a huge fan of scenic drives through the Canadian Rockies, so you can't go wrong with a loop and lots of stops at the fun little shops along the way.

A shorter loop would be up through Cranbrook, down to Sandpoint, and then back to Whitefish. Still a long day but that will be unforgettable. Sandpoint is a cute town as well.

Or just turn at Bonners Ferry and take a quicker route home.
Mike Shaw - Class of '03
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.