Frustrating performance in 15-point loss to Texas (updated)

4,550 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 12 yr ago by Bring n WOOD
Gabe Bock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sponsor
AG
Post-game commentary
Nothing like absolutely laying an egg in the last scheduled meeting against your arch rival. Hideous performance, falling to a Texas team on the NCAA Tournament bubble by 15 points, 79-64.

Prior to this year, A&M had beaten Texas 11 straight times. But this team let itself get swept by the team from Austin, and a very average team at that.

We're talking about the defending national champions here and a group that starts three seniors that have been through it all over the last four years. That's what makes following this group nearly as head-scratching and frustrating as the men's team.

Not quite, but almost.

Logan and I are going to Kansas City to cover both the men and women. When it comes to the women's side of things, I could see them get to the championship game and make a run at the league title, but I could also see them lose to any team that they play. You just don't know what type of team will show up, but if it's anything similar to what we saw today, they may not win a game in K.C. and could find themselves ousted at home in the NCAAs.

But the bottom line is that this IS the defending champion Aggies. Here's hoping they dig deep and find what got them there in 2011.

Post-game quotes
Head Coach Gary Blair
Opening Statement…
"Texas played with a sense of urgency today. If they would have lost the game they would have been out of the NCAA Tournament. It’s simple. As well as they played against A&M the last two ball games, they could win the conference tournament. It all starts with guard play and their guards were just a lot better than ours today. (Yvonne Anderson) That was the biggest key in the ball game. (Chassidy) Fussell is going to get hers. We tried to play Tyra White, have a taller player on her, to extend, but she’s just got a great shot, she plays with no fear. When they have two of three cooking at all times and then Fontennette threw in that last dagger near the end of the game, you just pat them on the back, give them credit and say see you Thursday night when we have to play them again.

"The last two years, we’ve beaten Texas 3-0, 3-0 and most of them were not close. This one was not close here. Texas was good. They hurt us with guard play, they hurt us with the pick and roll, they hurt us on the boards, they hurt us with energy, and we hurt ourselves by our seniors who have never lost in this arena, not being able to express themselves to the younger players who do not understand what the rivalry is between us and Texas.

"Right now we’re going to go back to the drawing board. We’re not ready for the Big 12 Tournament because right now we’re not good enough. I’ve used this adage all year that everybody was giving us their best shot, but what are we supposed to do. We’re not paying like defending national champions. We’re too inconsistent.

On this being his last time coaching in the Frank Erwin Center...
"This will probably be the last time I sit in this arena unless it happens in the NCAA Tournament. You hate to close the chapter in such a great arena. This place has been very special to my growth as a coach."

On not bringing any players to the press conference...
"I always bring the players in and I always answer every question, but today I don’t think they deserved to be in here and I don’t deserve to be in here."

Post-game notes
* For the 13th time this season, Texas A&M used the starting lineup of Adrienne Pratcher, Sydney Carter, Tyra White, Adaora Elonu and Kelsey Bone…The Aggies are 9-4 with this starting lineup.

* The Aggies are 6-5 on national TV this season.

* A&M moves to 23-60 in the all-times series with Texas. The Aggies have won 11 of the last 13 meetings between the two storied rivals.

* Texas A&M was swept by the Longhorns for the first time since the 2004-05 season.

* White has now started in 87 straight games, a streak that started on Jan. 4, 2010 against Lamar.

* White has scored in double figures in in all but four games this season. Bone scored in double figures for the 21st time this season, Elonu scored for the 19th, and Carter for the 16th.

* The Aggies are 9-2 this season when four or more players score double figures.

[This message has been edited by gabe_bock (edited 3/4/2012 5:04p).]
Rudybryan
How many wake up calls do they need?

This team did not come prepared to play?

We have 0 chemistry?

One and done could very well be a fact of life

Who do we hold accountable for their preformances?

quote:
But the bottom line is that this IS the defending champion Aggies

In name only

The rest of my thoughts I'll keep to myself so this board doesn't explode.

[This message has been edited by Rudybryan (edited 3/4/2012 3:04p).]
windmill.1
AG
Looks like we graduated the real leadership from last year's team.
This year's team has enjoyed last year's success way too much.
Planner81
I thought Bone was coming on strong in the second half and was starting to dominate. I would have liked to have seen her left in to see what she could have continued to do.
(Removed:11023A)
AG
Embarrassing
HiddenAg2
Ugly lack of hustle today. Our kids just don't seem to want it as bad as Texas.
Gabe Bock
Sponsor
AG
Special thanks to Mac Resource Computers for their sponsorship of all women's basketball content produced throughout the season at TexAgs.com! Once again this season, all WBB content will be available free ... so feel free to pass around any of our women's hoops stuff to your friends.
Frenas
AG
quote:
Ugly lack of hustle today. Our kids just don't seem to want it as bad as Texas.
From my vantage point on row 7 in the Erwin Arena, it looked the same today as it has from time to time all year--we played well on some plays and we completely took some plays off: missing "bunnies" under the basket, getting beaten in the transition game, etc.

There's more to what's going on with this team than meets the eye of the average fan, which includes me. There is no way a championship team with this many seniors should play so inconsistently.

Southlake
Just aweful!

Did they even give a damn?
thom80
AG
6 assists and 15 turnovers for the team, says it all. I don't understand starting Pratcher at PG at all and playing 25 minutes either. It has been proven too many times that playing against quick guards exposes her as a liability for the Defending NC.
JR69
AG
Pratcher did a much better job on D than Standish did. Other than her two 3s in garbage time, Standish did nothing in this game, and she is just way too slow.
blackflame
AG
What a tough game to watch today. I was excited to see our Lady Ags for the first time this season live, and after the Baylor performance I was expecting big things.

Unfortunately, I had a bad vibe from the get go. I felt, as I watched them break their opening huddle, there was a complete lack of energy, from the players to the bench.

With that being said, a lot of easy shots missed. I also thought (and this could be reaching too far), but it looks like Bone gets easily frustrated, and her channeling that frustration is what needs to be worked on the most. She needs to keep attacking the basket without backing down from whoever is guarding her, but if she didn't get a call she was visibly angry and it seemed to derail things.

The bright spot I saw today, was the very limited minutes played by Tori Scott. I think she will bud into one of my favorite players for the next three years. She just seemed extremely scrappy and not afraid to attack the ball.

I hope we get it together, and play the way we played Baylor, last Monday. If not I see us struggling with OU in the 2nd Round of the Big 12 Tourney, and then possibly getting boosted after the 2nd round of the NCAA, and I am only keeping us in the first two rounds because we are hosting.

Also, seeing Rachel Mitchell in person makes me really excited as to what she will bring to the table next year.

[This message has been edited by blackflame (edited 3/4/2012 9:43p).]
Joeaggie71
AG
Have we beaten t.u. in any sports this school year? Wow! We have laid a lot of eggs against the horns this year.

JoeAggie71, An Aggie BQ from the Class of '93 "B Battery Wildmen Move Out!!"
MidTnAg
AG
We beat tu in men's tennis, and men & women indoor track. For some reason, seniors this year really suck when they play tu.
MidTnAg
AG
I believe the football loss to tu was the most humiliating loss ever.
BillyGoatSA
AG
This year's WBB team is almost as bad as last year's football team. All the promise in the world means nothing when you don't back it up. I'm not convinced that we'll make it to the Big12 championship game much less past the 2nd round in the NCAA. Too bad.
AG
Frustrating is being too polite. WTH is happening?
JR69
AG
quote:
This year's WBB team is almost as bad as last year's football team.

This and many other posts are bordering on pure stupidity. Disappointing, yes, but then last year's team set the bar pretty high and raised everyone's expectation. Some of you put your expectations too high. This is not last year's team.

20-9 is NOT a bad record. Second behind Baylor in the Big 12 is NOT a bad thing. It's just not up to the rather unreasonable expectations of some.

Rudybryan
JR

For me its not high expectations it's about 6 of those games we should have won if we were getting 100% from the kids on the court. Its not that we lose it is HOW we are losing. We're talking basics here.....we are talking heart & spirit - Sunday the entire team and the coaches looked like a bunch of deadbeats. There is no emotion or fire.....and they damn sure aren't having fun and either are we -
Bring n WOOD
AG
I have seen several games this year in WBB (& last year as we ascended to the top)......One thing obvious is the lack of hustle on the Defensive side of the ball......Last year the girls SWARMED whoever had the ball.......and this year, our girls seem happy to stand around and hope the ball richochettes straight to them when an opposing team member takes a shot. Although Bone is making strides and improving greatly, our bigs aren't moving in to the basket well once an opposing teams defense is set already. Adora gets the ball stripped so many times because she has such a high dribble from the floor and Bone is not good at playing an inside out game yet when she draws attention inside......

Just my two cents......
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.