Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Thigbe?

6,245 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by kyle field 94
FDXAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been with them for about a year and haven't had any complaints until now. I was concerned in March when they renewed my contract for only 3 months, knowing that it would come up for renewal again in the middle of summer and when rates are historically highest. But they gave me a good rate and I think I'm paying about 5.6c/kwh (10c/kwh all-in after fees and delivery charges) so I thought maybe it would be ok.

I just got the renewal notice that is set to go into effect at the end of June and they are renewing me in a 2-year contract at basically double what I'm currently locked in for, at 10.1c/kwh with APG&E energy, whoever that is.

Doesn't seem right to me, and honestly I feel like I could get a better deal myself.....especially for a 2 year rate that won't expire until June of 2026. Am I missing something here? Are energy prices expected to go crazy over the next few years?

Just checking powertochoose it seems there is a 6 month contract with Rhythm energy that is cheaper than this stupid 2 year plan they put me in, plus I would be renewing in December when energy rates should be lower.

Anyone else in a similar boat?
YellAg2004
AG
I just got the same screw job. 2 year contract with the same company at $0.10355. I just got the notice at the end of last week, so I intend to call and voice my strong displeasure this week. It's almost double my previous rate, so I can't wait to get that first bill.
FourAggies
AG
I left them a few weeks ago. I assume y'all got their notice of their dispute with Rhythm ? They misrepresented themselves with Rhythm and then cried foul, when caught. When I asked what their plan was, if Rhythm cancelled early, and got nothing but radio silence. Seemed like they didn't know what they were doing and were counting on Rhythm to cut them a discounted aggregation deal. Didn't trust them any more.
FDXAg
AG
What's going on with Rhythm? I know nothing about that.

However, I was considering switching on my own to a 6 month plan with Rhythm some that looked to be the cheapest and best option for me. Are they a problem company? They don't have an ETF listed on their facts sheet, which is concerning.

But yes, I'm not happy with Thigbe. I left energy ogre when they started renewing me in long contracts because I felt they weren't actively searching for better plans on the short-term. This feels even worse. I'll be happy with a 2 year plan, but not at double at what I'm currently paying.
FDXAg
AG
I sent them an email but no response yet. Let me know what they say when you call. I feel I can get a better deal on my own. Especially since they've now got me renewing in middle of summer... Ugh.

I know the owner of Thigbe is an Aggie and I think he posts on here from time to time??
Ribeye-Rare
AG
Don't feel like the loan ranger.

I've been using an energy broker for at least 15 years for both my residence and my business, and they've always done a good job for me.

But, I just did a residential renewal and the supposed 'best' rate they could wrangle was .105 over 36 months. Ouch.

I seriously thought about dropping the broker and fending for myself at powertochoose.org, but there were no 'bargains' to be found, at least right now.
ftworthag02
AG
I switched to them last year and also got my 83yr old parents switched to them and one of my customers. My customers were absolutely thrilled when they got their first invoice.

I just looked at power to choose and selected 24mos and the cheapest rate I see is 14.7
FDXAg
AG
My real issue is with a 2 year plan. There is a 6 month plan just as cheap, or cheaper. That would put me up for renewal this winter. Maybe I'm wrong in thinking rates might go down a bit then, but being locked into a 2 year deal doesn't give me a good feeling as rates are usually highest in mid summer.
FourAggies
AG
I had 3 month rate also, from March to June, similar to what you described. No real problem with Rhythm, except as created by Thigbe.

Thigbe sent and email, that I assumed went to others. It said that Rhythm was discriminating against brokers. Apparently, Thigbe had signed people up on a deal that wasn't offered to brokers and Rhythm found out. Rhythm said they could convert to a different rate, exit without penalty to another provider, or accounts would be cut off on 5/31.

Thigbe asked for help from the PUC due to discrimination. PUC responded that Thigbe acted inappropriately. There was a screen that required them to state they were the accountholder and they were not brokers. The PUC also said Thigbe did not provide accountholder info, after request from Rhythm, which they are required to do per law. Essentially, the PUC said that Thigbe was wrong and Rhythm was right.
FDXAg
AG
Did you ever call and get an explanation?

I sent their customer service an email a few days ago but no response. Will have to call by tomorrow if still no email back. Not a real happy camper right now....
jograki
AG
I've been with Thigbe for 5 years with no issues. I currently am in the middle of a 14 month contract so not experiencing the situation you are in, but definitely understand your frustration. If it helps, I have seen 2 year contracts get broken because they found better rates during it. Rates have definitely soared lately so I'm sure it's not easy.
dodger02
AG
I was notified last week that the $.08 plan I had been on since I signed up with them about six months ago was expiring and they signed me up for a $.10 24-month plan. I wasn't thrilled. But I just looked up rates on powertochoose.org just now and the cheapest they show for my area is $.14 per kWh.

I feel better.
Reloadags1998
AG
Holy cow, is electricity that cheap where you are? The best rates in my area (Magnolia) are about $.15 ,though 2 yrs ago we were sub $0.07. The $0.15 has been pretty consistent for the last 2 yrs.
Dill-Ag13
AG
+1
normalhorn
I'm in north Dallas. I thought I'd give them a try.

It took two minutes, and was an easy decision to go onto Powertochoose, so it myself and not use their service. I'm enrolling in a bad rate at $.142 (@ 2,000kW), vs the $.159 that they just quoted me.

Hopefully the next person that uses their service get a positive price result. Mine certainly wasn't.
...take it easy on me, I'm a normal horn
OnlyForNow
AG
Just curious as to why the differences in the way y'all
Post energy cost rates?

The rate is is the rate that includes taxes fees and delivery charges. So saying your rate is 10 cents kWh but have to pay 5 cents in the fees, just say it's 15 cents, cuz that's what it is.

Honestly makes some of the posts confusing as hell.

howdyags12!
AG
https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2024/06/17/electric-provider-threatens-to-cancel-customer-accounts-in-houston-why-could-this-happen-to-you/

Channel 2 News in Houston piece on Thigbe
one MEEN Ag
AG
That Rythm 6 month contract is a teaser for a plan that won't be available until September. Its BS its even listed. Threw off my renewal process as I called and they explained it isn't available now.
Cromagnum
AG
I'm paying all in 12.4 cents (rate plus delivery right now). Best I could find last year.
howdyags12!
AG
Agreed, just take your total bill amount divided by your total kWh and that equals your true cost of electricity.
FDXAg
AG
Oh wow. You called Rhythm and they told you that? Thigbe has yet to respond to either of my emails. Back from vacation so I'll be calling tomorrow.

If the Rhythm isn't available now, I'm basically back to square one.
FDXAg
AG
Well unfortunately I can't break the new contract Thigbe put me in. They initiated it on 6/7 and sent email on the 10th informing me of it. Unfortunately I was told that in Texas you only have 3 days to change your mind on an electricity contract without penalty, so now I'm stuck.

I know none of us can predict the market, but I had a bad feeling in March when Thigbe enrolled me in a 3 month plan. It was cheap but I knew it might mean trouble in June when it would come time to switch and sure enough.....I was right.

Wish I had just shopped myself because now I'm locked in to today's high prices for 2 years unless I pay the $250 ETF down the line. Going to really suck to see lower rates this fall and winter and not be able to do anything about it. Plus now I'm stuck renewing during summer 2 years from now.
FDXAg
AG
Where do you live? I didn't think rates were that cheap anywhere in Texas
dodger02
AG
Bell Co.
ktownag08
AG
I dropped Thigbe after 6 months for doing pretty much the exact same thing. Thankfully my early termination fee was much cheaper, and I now then made up for it with a lower rate I locked in after only 3 months.

I won't say much more than I talked with the owner of the company, and I wasn't impressed...
P.H. Dexippus
AG
FDXAg said:

Well unfortunately I can't break the new contract Thigbe put me in. They initiated it on 6/7 and sent email on the 10th informing me of it. Unfortunately I was told that in Texas you only have 3 days to change your mind on an electricity contract without penalty, so now I'm stuck.

I know none of us can predict the market, but I had a bad feeling in March when Thigbe enrolled me in a 3 month plan. It was cheap but I knew it might mean trouble in June when it would come time to switch and sure enough.....I was right.

Wish I had just shopped myself because now I'm locked in to today's high prices for 2 years unless I pay the $250 ETF down the line. Going to really suck to see lower rates this fall and winter and not be able to do anything about it. Plus now I'm stuck renewing during summer 2 years from now.

That sucks, but $250 ETF spread out over the life of the contract isn't much if you see a significantly lower rate come available.
Dad
AG
Thigbe scewed me over too.

They signed me up longterm to a very high rate contract and now it is costing me almost $100 a month extra on my bill this month. I called and they said it has a high early termination fee too.

It doesn't make any sense why a company claiming to get you the best deals would sign you up for a contract that ends when prices are highest and then lock the high rate in longterm with a high early termination fee.

It's almost like they made money by selling us out.
Dad
AG
FDXAg said:

Did you ever call and get an explanation?

I sent their customer service an email a few days ago but no response. Will have to call by tomorrow if still no email back. Not a real happy camper right now....

I know you didn't ask me but I called and the guy just lied and said they negotiated the best possible contract for a group of customers. They either have a low IQ person handling that negotiation or they got paid on the side to put us in horrible contracts. My gut tells me it was the latter.
FDXAg
AG
I'm pissed at myself for signing up with them. Sadly it was due to the recommendations of some people on Texags. I should have cancelled the stupid 3 month contract immediately back in the spring because I knew I was going to get screwed with renewal in mid July.

My main issue with them is they don't send you the email about your new contract until 3 days after they apparently start the transfer process, meaning you basically have no time to get out of the new contract without penalty. That's terrible customer service. What is so hard about sending an email saying "Hey, we are about to enroll you in such-and-such plan at such-and-such terms. If you do not like this choice, please reach out to us within the next 48 hours"??

I ended up paying a huge early termination fee to get out of my 2 year contract. Found a 3 month contract with an almost 4c/kwh cheaper rate that will expire in November, and I should be able to score an even better rate when renewal comes since it is in the fall. At this point I'm just going to go back to searching for the best deal myself. Energy Ogre was good up until Covid when energy prices skyrocketed. Their business model wasn't set up for that kind of a market and they even acknowledged that.

In the end, I was called by 3 different people from Thigbe over this issue and every conversation was shockingly poor customer service and just BS answers. Can't recommend them to anyone. Lesson learned
Furlock Bones
AG
Well, I am not the only one that has quickly become dissatisfied with thigbe.
10andBOUNCE
AG
howdyags12! said:

Agreed, just take your total bill amount divided by your total kWh and that equals your true cost of electricity.
I have been fine with Thigbe so far; now a little weary of some of the stories here. Last bill I was at 13 cents per kwh. My energy costs are lower this year that last year. I have never had to interact with customer service.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Texaspowerguide.com is the best DIY place. Put your usage in and pay the 10 bucks to see the best ones.

They haven't ever steered me wrong and you can make your own big boy decisions about when to change, how much summer risk you want, and what canceling costs are.
one MEEN Ag
AG
FDXAg said:

Oh wow. You called Rhythm and they told you that? Thigbe has yet to respond to either of my emails. Back from vacation so I'll be calling tomorrow.

If the Rhythm isn't available now, I'm basically back to square one.
Just FYI, rates have fell off a cliff and its worthwhile to cut your losses and renew.
gabehcoud
Wow prices have gone down. Energy Ogre has me in 12.83 until Feb 2025 and low 11s are widely avaiable.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
gabehcoud said:

Wow prices have gone down. Energy Ogre has me in 12.83 until Feb 2025 and low 11s are widely avaiable.
I found an EFL yesterday for 9.4 at 2,000kWh
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.