Home Improvement
Sponsored by

How to install Composite deck boards on top of existing wood deck boards

889 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by sts7049
100% Pure Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I want to install new composite deck boards on top of the existing deck boards. The existing boards are in decent shape, but are ugly with previous deck stain, the most recent has some texture in it and its kind of 'peeling' off the some of the deck boards.

So, to save the trouble, effort, and cost of removing the existing deck boards, I just want to put new Composite boards on top.

Anyone ever done this? or have advice on how to proceed?

TIA
Whoop Delecto
AG
Sea Speed
AG
I feel like this is a very bad idea.
Apache
AG
Bad idea. Existing deck boards will continue to warp & cup. Rotting will accelerate at moisture holds between old deck and new accelerating rot.

If it is worth doing, it is worth doing right.
CapCity12thMan
AG
Taken from Timbertech website:

What Not to Do: Install Over Wood Boards

Do not install composite deck boards on top of wood deck boards for the following reasons:

Water will seep in between the two boards and cause the wood deck boards to rot and deteriorate in time.
The weight of composite deck boards on top of the wood deck boards may be too great for the substructure to safely hold.
Installing composite decking over wood boards would raise the deck height by an inch or so, creating a tripping hazard.
aggiedent
AG
Yeah, sorry, but as has already been said, that's a really really really really bad idea. You'll regret it in the long run.
HumpitPuryear
AG
If you want to make the shoddy workmanship thread this would be a way to do that
tgivaughn
AG
If wishes were fishes ..... oh, well
soooo moving on to the fix

https://www.thisoldhouse.com/decking/21164885/how-to-restore-a-weathered-deck
https://www.thisoldhouse.com/decking/21014865/go-from-an-old-deck-to-new-in-4-steps
IMHO and am sticking to it
Leggo My Elko
AG
Really bad idea and will like result in almost guaranteed failure of the entire structure.

Additionally, composite decking requires tighter spacing of the joists. Typically 12" VS the normal 16" for wood.
sts7049
AG
do it right the first time...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.