Home Improvement
Sponsored by

Roof shigles

690 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Jason_Roofer
bmet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need tp replace mine. Live in a coastal county where wind is the primary issue

How'd you rank:
GAF Timerline HDZ,
GAF Timberline UHDZ
Owens Corning Duration Premium,
TAMCO Titan
IKO Dynasy

Some get insurance discounts, some don't. Don't care all that much,...just want a solid shingle without known issues
87IE
AG
Paging Jason

https://texags.com/account/profile/264524

He replaced my roof and I believe I have the GAF Timberline HDZ.
tgivaughn
AG

"wind is the primary issue"
IMHO and am sticking to it
Jason_Roofer
There are unofficial YouTube videos where folks "rank" these but they aren't lab results or scientific. Ranking these for a roofer is like asking me what the best truck is. I like Ford. So, it's the best. My buddy likes Chevrolet, so he disagrees but at the end of the day, both of our trucks are going to haul our stuff and get the job done.

GAF Timerline HDZ - this is one of the top selling shingles in the US. It has a no limit wind warranty when installed per requirements. It's a solid "30 year" shingle you are familiar with.

GAF Timberline UHDZ - this is also a 30 year shingle but has a beefier aesthetic appearance. It's a physically heavier shingle to satisfy some HOA weight requirements.

I have not had an issue with either of these shingles and I cannot tell you if one is going to be better than the other. If a cat 4 drops into your neighborhood or you get ping pong sized hail, neither is likely to get through unscathed.

Also, GAF is in the process of getting the HDZ certified as a Class III impact resistant shingle to compete with Certainteed and Owens Corning who now have those ratings. Technology moves fast and manufacturers move the goals as quick as they can.

Owens Corning Duration Premium

I'm not familiar with this shingle as it's not available in our market. But it's a heavier shingle like the GAF UHDZ. The Duration and Duration Designer are what we usually install. Warranties are good and color selection is solid. These are Class III Rated Shingles.

The Flex and Storm are available and those are Class IV impact resistant.

All of these will have the SureNail strip embedded which is OC answer to blow offs.

TAMCO Titan

I am not familiar with this shingle.

IKO Dynasy

The Dynasty is a good shingle and also a Class III rated shingle now.

As you can see, these are all generally going to be competitive with each other. I've always said that you should pick based on color and palette when you are choosing these. Also, try to select a roofer that is certified for that shingle if extended warranties are something you want to do. We are certified for GAF, CT, and OC. I can install Tamko and IKO but I may not be able to offer an extended warranty with those.

Personally I liked the Certainteed Landmark MaxDef. But that palette is discontinued. My next favorite would be the Owens Corning Duration. My wife hates both of these shingles because she thinks they are too "busy". She likes GAF HDZ or UHDZ.

If you have any other questions I'll try to answer and maybe help narrow the choices. What's important to you in a shingle? There is nothing wrong with going to ABC supply and asking them to show you each one. Look at them and feel them.

I have never personally had to make a warranty claim with any of the shingles I talked about. That's not to say we havnt done it as a company across all markets, but for me, in Texas, I've never had an issue.

If money isn't an object, I'd go with one of the thicker options for peace of mind, but even the standard ones are rated for 130MPH so. Somewhere in there is a diminishing return between shingles staying put and entire roof blowing off.
Infinity Roofing - https://linqapp.com/jason_duke --- JasonDuke@InfinityRoofer.com --- https://infinityrooferjason.blogspot.com/
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.