I am an idiot - I got scammed

712 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by tkissling16
poohah96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Writing this just to give everyone some things to look for. I got scammed by someone responding on this board. I put in my phone number and they responded to my cell phone. It was a 713 number so I thought being relatively local it would be less likely a scam. Nope. I asked for their Texags handle to check out and the one they gave me was a 12 year user with over 5000 posts so I figured I was good. Was not his handle.

I would only recommend corresponding with people through this board only so you know it is actually the person behind the Texags handle. And make sure they are verified.

$400 lesson.
Class of '96. Puryear Playboys - Ramp 4 Drunks - Poohah
Katiebrownsmith23
AG
I got scammed last week off here too! I entered my email on a post and someone emailed me using Aggie talk and pretended to be that person. Very frustrating.
RespectTheDecision
AG
Check if they have an Ag tag on TexAgs.
Check and see the previous posts they have made.
Only communication should be thru TexAgs until you are 100% sure they are legit

This has never failed me.
cstat07
AG
You can also ask them to post something to confirm they are who they say they are. When they give an excuse as to why they can't, game over.
peso_pluma
When I sell my tickets on here I always offer to get on a face time call to do the transfer of funds and transfer of tickets. Since my account on here wreaks of a scammer.
tandrus
AG
I had someone reach out to me via email with the name "Whitney" and said their username was SwigAg11 - Ag Tag, 12 years on the board, 4600 posts - but this person is not a subscriber so I couldn't PM him. Didn't go through with it because it seemed risky.
cstat07
AG
That's where I would ask them to post to confirm. If they've hacked the account you're in trouble but the vast majority are looking for low hanging fruit and are just good at lying.
Charlie Moran
AG
I had a similar experience with SwigAg. Said they couldn't PM , I said just post on my thread.
******* liar
"I didn't come here to lose!" Charley Moran
poohah96
AG
tandrus said:

I had someone reach out to me via email with the name "Whitney" and said their username was SwigAg11 - Ag Tag, 12 years on the board, 4600 posts - but this person is not a subscriber so I couldn't PM him. Didn't go through with it because it seemed risky.
This was the person that got me. Good on you. That was the name they used,
Aggiehunter34
S
Were you buying or selling with the scam? I have had several texts from people and they say they cant message on TexAgs or just created an account to look for tickets. My tickets are cheap, but wondering how they scam you if they pay you first then you send tickets? Can they file something with PayPal saying they did not get them and get refunded, or how does that work. Sorry I am old.
poohah96
AG
Aggiehunter34 said:

Were you buying or selling with the scam? I have had several texts from people and they say they cant message on TexAgs or just created an account to look for tickets. My tickets are cheap, but wondering how they scam you if they pay you first then you send tickets? Can they file something with PayPal saying they did not get them and get refunded, or how does that work. Sorry I am old.
Buying - no the paying apps won't do anything.
Aggie09Derek
AG
tandrus said:

Could have asked for them to reply with "howdy" or whatever code word you wanted.

That extra step will help tons of people not get scammed.
Aggiehunter34
S
poohah96 said:

Aggiehunter34 said:

Buying - no the paying apps won't do anything.
Thanks for the info and sorry it happened to you.
inthesaddle32
Same happened to me. I posted a parking pass, received a text instantly. We immediately did the transaction and all was good. I then received another text later on .. who was the original person requesting the parking. I reached out to the scammer and had a few choice words … no big surprise, they didn't respond back. Going forward, if they can't send a DM I will not be doing business with them. So hard to verify who is the actual person, DM really is the only way.
Cobra39
Need a separate board for ticket scamming.

Keep it all in one place.

Remember that sometimes scalping is scamming. Put these on the new board.

Cobra39
GA Aggie
I have been selling our seats on here for years and have never had any problems until this year. I have random supposedly Aggies accusing me of a scam. Yesterday had two different people texting me saying they were trying to help a "friend" buy tickets. They wanted the tickets transferred some other way than from the 12thMan app and wanted me to take other forms of payments. Sad thing is now because of all of this I'll just have to start trying to sell on seat geek.
tkissling16
AG
I've had people try to scam me several times, and usually from a cstat or Houston area code. Always make them reply to your TexAgs post. I ask them to post something specific so I know it's them. I also ask about why they are selling, if they have pictures from their seats, etc. If their answers or the way they word things feels a little weird, run!

The FaceTime during the transaction and transfer is a good idea too. I've never thought about that.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.