What has happened to Hollywood

4,921 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 15 days ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Was thinking about going to see a movie and nothing looked appealing. Searched online for upcoming movies and literally everything on the top lists for the year coming out are sequels, superhero movies, or a combination of both. It seems everything else that comes out these days is a sci-fi (Of which I'm typically not a fan). What happened to quality dramas and comedies? Maybe a true story or good suspense or epic. Are Americans really that dumb that all they care about is the next superhero movie or 8th installment of some series that quit being decent after the first one (if that)?
Justin2010
AG
Username checks out.

Just kidding with you. Sequal fatigue is real.
TajMaballer
AG
Right now in theaters movies that I would recommend that are not sequels/superhero/sci-fi:

Isle of Dogs
Unsane
Love, Simon
Game Night
Thoroughbreds

There are good original movies out there. And if none of these appeal to you, then that's more on you than Hollywood. 2018 has been a pretty good year for movies in the first 3 months and only seem to get better.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I agree. Let's go back to the days where every movie was a western or film noir.
titanmaster_race
Go see game night. It's fantastic.
oragator
1939 said:

Was thinking about going to see a movie and nothing looked appealing. Searched online for upcoming movies and literally everything on the top lists for the year coming out are sequels, superhero movies, or a combination of both. It seems everything else that comes out these days is a sci-fi (Of which I'm typically not a fan). What happened to quality dramas and comedies? Maybe a true story or good suspense or epic. Are Americans really that dumb that all they care about is the next superhero movie or 8th installment of some series that quit being decent after the first one (if that)?
I get beaten up every time I raise this lol
AustinAg2K
Movies have gotten incredibly expensive to make, so the major movie companies want to ensure they get their returns. It's much easier for them to predict the returns from a sequel or reboot.
fig96
AG
Not even so much the expense so much as the guaranteed return on investment (which I realize you touched on).

Does the studio want to make four $30-40 million dramas that probably won't return much at the box office, or one $150 million blockbuster sequel that will make a lot of money?

We've also fairly recently seen the dawn of original dramas on streaming services and a few tv networks. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, along with AMC, FX, HBO, and a few others, have become that market for excellent dramatic storytelling in a slightly different format.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Are Americans really that dumb
We could have a long discussion on this particular statement without ever getting to the types of movies that Americans seem to prefer.
rhutton125
AG
fig96 said:

We've also fairly recently seen the dawn of original dramas on streaming services and a few tv networks. Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, along with AMC, FX, HBO, and a few others, have become that market for excellent dramatic storytelling in a slightly different format.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

What happened to quality dramas and comedies? Maybe a true story or good suspense or epic.
Those stories has moved from movies to TV.
bangobango
AG
As others have said, the great original programming is on TV now.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Yay. Another one of these threads.
AGinHI
AG
I found this take interesting with regards to action movies

“We don't have a government of the people, by the people, for the people. We have government of the people, by the bureaucrats, for the bureaucrats.”

-Milton Friedman
Living Legend
AG
1939 said:

Write your own script and get it produced, then you'll have nothing to complain about.
Furlock Bones
AG
OP, it's been talked about a lot on here lately. a lot of the talented writers and producers have moved to the Netflix, Amazon, HBOs of the world in the last few years. add in the high cost of movie production and chasing ROI, this is the result.
TCTTS
AG
I truly don't understand the gripe here. First of all, it's March, which is traditionally kind of a dead zone for straight up dramas. That, and we literally just got done with Oscar season, where no matter which direction you looked there was an original, quality drama. As for what's out now and on the horizon, I'll echo others here and say you're just not looking hard enough. There are some solid movies in theaters right now and on Netflix, with so many exciting, original titles just around the corner and coming later this year. I'm so tired of these threads where the exact type of movie someone wants to see isn't currently in theaters, so a thesis is written on how much Hollywood has changed, how there's nothing original anymore, etc. It's the same as it's always been, only now we have even more great content, more of a variety to choose from, and more ways to watch it all. How that's a bad thing, I'll never understand.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
If you are looking for a purely ridiculous, slapstick style movie, check out "Game Over, Man" on Netflix.
policywonk98
AG
Look for theaters like the Angelika. Places that screen independent movies. There is really good original storytelling in the independent film market. For at least the last 15 years the quality of lower budget independent film has been excellent.
AG
I agree with what many have responded with. I guess I'm longing for the days of big budget, highly promoted movies with lots of star power that just don't happen at the rate they once did, seems like most of the good stuff is independent or lower budget now.
Gigem314
AG
1939 said:

There are so many films being made today, it's harder to find the quality in all the noise. Music has become the same way. It takes more digging.

And I think too many films put 'shock value' or a forced political undertone over quality storylines and ideas.

But there are good ones out there if you look hard enough (outside of the obvious summer blockbusters and the ever growing Disney universe).
FL_Ag1998
AG
1939 said:

I agree with what many have responded with. I guess I'm longing for the days of big budget, highly promoted movies with lots of star power that just don't happen at the rate they once did, seems like most of the good stuff is independent or lower budget now.

Honestly, it just sounds like you like the movies of your youth better than the current ones (nostalgia likely).
Philo B 93
If you put up a big screen and projector on your driveway to host a big movie night with all of your friends and neighbors, what would you show? You want them to have a good time and enjoy the experience, and you want them to show up. If the event bombs, you can forget being invited to their parties.

Would you pick an original drama with unknown actors? (Your crowd all just remembered something else they have to do that night)

A raunchy comedy? (The housewives, mothers and kids won't be there. Hope those chicks are cool or neither will their hubbys)

Eff it, throw on Avengers 5 and make everyone happy.

Voila! The Move Industry!
israeliag
AG
AGinHI said:

I found this take interesting with regards to action movies

This is great. I've said this before on other threads, but MI:Rogue Nation does a great job of progressing the plot through the spectacles action set packages.
RightWingConspirator
AG
The only superhero movie I've seen was the Batman with Heath Ledger, and that only because it was so hyped. Don't get the fascination with them, but to each their own. I'm a huge horror movie fanatic, and many don't understand that.
Matsui
AG
Excellent analysis
Complete Idiot
Going to see Game Night this weekend, reviews on here and elsewhere got me excited. Haven't gone to see a comedy in a theater in a while, most in recent years seem brainless and unoriginal to me. I can't rent those and get some laughs but Game Night seems thameater worthy and I'm excited to see something other then an artsy or "unique" film we've been going to when going out in recent years. I'm 45 and Like many my age I've seen a lot of movie, you just get pickier and pickier I guess.
schmendeler
AG
Also, why aren't there any college football games playing any more? Seems like the only sports on TV is basketball (not a fan). What's wrong with athletics lately?
blinnboy83
They're going for worldwide box office results, not just American. Not everyone wants to watch American comedy and drama, but everyone wants to watch Guardians of the Galaxy and Despicable Me 3.
oragator
The point I have made here a few times (with massive pushback), is that you are missing the adult blockbuster we used to get.
Big budget Harrison Ford, Tom Hanks, Clooney, etc type movies just aren't made at the same rate anymore. Ones with actual adults, sweeping stories etc...the Forrest Gump, castaway type movies. They are largely relegated to ensemble and or historical and or lower budget dramas. And going back a few additional years, the Nicholson Redford Newman type movies. All in the mold of the Stewart, Bogey, Brando idea. The Big budgets go to sci fi or comics, many with relatively new and fresh casts.
So with that, the idea of traditional dashing leading man who can do romance, comedy etc while driving sales and with a loyal fan base through personality has largely gone by the wayside - while there are good young actors, Hanks might wind up being the last traditional old school movie star. For older folks, that too is a pretty big deal change, when I was a kid for example, big new movies were sold largely on the cast (everyone wanted to see the latest Redford movie, or the latest Nicholson movie), that is often not the case anymore. Harder for olds to adjust.

Just for fun, I went back and foind the trailer for The Sting. The very first shot is Redford and Newman together, and they specifically say/stress that they star in it, not once but twice, making sure to display their names both times. Happens every once is a while now I am sure, but generally just a different movie world.

schmendeler
AG
I suspect that any movies we suggest met those criteria would be met with a qualification.
TMoney2007
AG
This sort of thing is usually selective memory. Like how music used to be so great back in your day, but the reality is that it only seems that way because you're only remembering the good songs and not all the crap.

Also, they don't repeatedly say the actors names in trailers anymore because it is cheesy and stupid. If they're a top billed actor in a major motion picture, people know who they are. That trailer is terrible. "Here are all the characters and here is exactly what happens, in stages." Your bias is showing picking a movie that won 7 freaking Oscar's as your example of "how movies were back then".

They weren't all like that they couldn't possibly be. That was quite obviously the best movie of the year. Most were crappy schlock just like today.
fig96
AG

Quote:

So with that, the idea of traditional dashing leading man who can do romance, comedy etc while driving sales and with a loyal fan base through personality has largely gone by the wayside

oragator
Of course we are all guilty of nostalgia, and moviegoing tastes can change over time, especially now given the advances in special effects. But if you look at the top 30 or so grossing movies by decade (which usually a good indicator of where Hollywood spends its money), you can't really argue that they haven't slowly gone to a narrower and narrower movie going demo to target.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?release_date=1970,1979&title_type=feature&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?release_date=1980,1989&title_type=feature&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?release_date=1990,1999&title_type=feature&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc

http://www.imdb.com/search/title/?release_date=2010,2018&title_type=feature&sort=boxoffice_gross_us,desc
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.