Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

55,999 Views | 421 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by aTmAg
Scriffer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Glad this thread is back.

I read the book in about a month between Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I'm watching the old Richard Chamberlain miniseries now. Really enjoying it and can't wait for the new one.

Also I take back what I said before about the abrupt ending. After reading, I started looking up the historical period and the establishment of the Tokugawa Shogunate. Really cool.

wangus12
AG
Al Bula
AG
Bump for this week!
Froppe
AG
James Clavell is right at the top for my favourite authors. Really miss him.
rhutton125
AG
Aw yiss. Are these going to be week to week?
ag88man
AG
Looks like 2 episodes per week on FX.
C@LAg
ag88man said:

Looks like 2 episodes per week on FX.
2 the first week, then 1 a week through April 23rd.
C@LAg
Freaking amazing first episode!!!!!! I mean.. HOLY **** AMAZING.

Starting the second one.

zap
AG
Oh boy. Gotta watch tonight.
Al Bula
AG
C@LAg said:

Freaking amazing first episode!!!!!! I mean.. HOLY **** AMAZING.

Starting the second one.
That's good to hear. I am so ready for this show!
C@LAg
I suggest watching the first episode (at least) with subtitles on so you can get the names of the Japanese characters quicker.

It is not hard to identify each of them based on story plot and what they look like, but when other characters elsewhere are discussing other characters not around, it is hard at to make those associations, but they come by the end of the episode.
ag88man
AG
Thanks.
La Bamba
AG
So airs on FX. Where can I stream? Anywhere?
TCTTS
AG
Hulu and Disney+.
La Bamba
AG
TCTTS said:

Hulu and Disney+.

Thank you! Excited for this one!
C@LAg
The second episode is a change of pace, but no less amazing.

Not enough superlatives for this show:

The casting, the acting, the set design, the effects, the dreamlike quality to the overall production.

Utterly masterful. I hope they can maintain this for all 10 episodes

and honestly I can't help but see plot points that GRRM stole for ideas used in Game of Thrones
Falcon74
AG
Good to hear. Wife was just saying last night we need a new show to watch.
C@LAg

Quote:

Almost 50 years since Clavell's Shogun hit bookshelves and close to 45 since it was a hit TV miniseries starring the legendary Toshiro Mifune, it is reborn as a sprawling 10-episode drama on FX. Often violent, sometimes erotic, and at all times magnificent in its pure entertainment factor and period immersion, Shogun clears any rightfully placed suspicions over its ungainly premise to tell a classic tale of understanding and discovery, wrapped up in a complex political thriller.
Eric Francisco, Inverse
Quote:

The bulk of the series is presented in Japanese, with English subtitles. Early scenes immediately dig into the nitty gritty of Osaka's dirty politics, before Blackthorne even has a chance to interlope on the action. Most importantly, Jarvis's Blackthorne isn't a dashing hero swiftly adapting to Japanese life, but an opportunist confusedly surfing the waves of fortune.
Meghan O'Keefe, Decider
Quote:

Adapted directly from Clavell's novel, this sprawling, 10-part historical drama takes a far broader view than its predecessor, moving beyond the Western outsider's perspective to survey a fracturing society that is just as baffled by this interloper's ways as he is by theirs.
Judy Berman, TIME Magazine
Quote:

In recent years, Sanada has shown up briefly in titles such as Westworld, John Wick: Chapter 4, and Bullet Train, and basically stolen the show every time, so it's a real treat to see him in such a meaty role here.
Amy West, Total Film
Quote:

Shgun star and EP Hiroyuki Sanada brings his trademark blend of danger and gravitas to Toranaga, turning him into a titan just with his presence alone. Raised by Wolves alum Cosmo Jarvis lends Blackthorne his gravelly voice and quirky onscreen presence. It's a combination that turns a character who could have felt like a two-dimensional white savior trope into a complex human being.
Meghan O'Keefe, Decider
Quote:

The breakout star, though, is Anna Sawai as Mariko, Blackthorne's translator and a sort of right-hand to Toranaga, a meaty and sometimes unwieldy role that Sawai embodies with grace.
Brandon Yu, TheWrap
Quote:

Anna Sawai is alluring as the pillar-like Mariko, a high-class noble and translator (and inevitable love interest) for Blackthorne. Tadanobu Asano, who got a serious short end of the stick in the Thor movies, shines as the brash samurai lord Yabushige, risking his head in playing both sides of a bubbling civil war. Nestor Carbonell, as a Spanish sailor and rival to Blackthorne, makes for an overall entertaining foil, lending a touch of anti-heroic whimsy reminiscent of a Pirates of the Caribbean baddie.
Eric Francisco, Inverse
Quote:

Tadanobu Asano as Yabushige, Toranaga's shifty commander, is a standout. There's a consistent mirth in his eyes, and his demeanor works for the occasional comedic relief, but Asano understands the balance Yabushige must have for it to work.
Mae Abdulbaki, Screen Rant
Quote:

Shgun's story goes hard at every turn, gleefully serving up gore alongside eloquent sequences of poetry contests.
Meghan O'Keefe, Decider
Quote:

In terms of storytelling, viewers' ability to understand what the Japanese characters are saying to one another opens up Shgun's world immensely. We get private conversations, backstories, access to the inner lives of scheming double agents and ambitious courtesans and sons impatient to prove themselves through combat.
Judy Berman, TIME Magazine
Quote:

The high stakes and sense of danger, which looms over every plotting conversation, are palpable, which adds intrigue and thrill to the dialogue-heavy proceedings.
Amy West, Total Film
Quote:

There are so many moving parts, but the writers carefully craft a story that never overwhelms. Watching Shgun's story unfold is a slow, sizzling burn in the best possible sense.
Mae Abdulbaki, Screen Rant
Quote:

Marks and Kondo, with the help of a stable of directors across the season, have overseen a period piece of awesome scale and impeccable detail. Forgiving a couple moments of iffy visual effects, the production and costume design are wonderfully immersive, and a booming score reinforces the gravitas of the show's large canvas.
Brandon Yu, TheWrap
Quote:

Cinematographers Sam McCurdy (Game of Thrones), Marc Lalibert (Gen V), and more limit themselves on sweeping vistas and let's face it, what could have been dodgy VFX and instead, favor framing that highlights the exquisite work done by the production design, makeup and hair, and costume departments. High-contrast lighting adds to each episode's moody and intense atmosphere, while composers Nick Chuba, Leopold Ross, and Atticus Ross' score accompanies the aesthetics perfectly.
Amy West, Total Film
Quote:

Fittingly, the show looks greatthe sets, the landscapes, or the costumesand boasts of attention to detail.
Akhil Arora, AkhilArora.com

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
First episode is incredible. From the first shot I was hooked. It's beautifully shot, yet also feels lived in. Clearly the production value is top notch. But the complexity of what's going on is outstanding. All the comparisons to GoT are really spot on.

And Much like GoT I am going to have an issue with character names, lol. But that is my only complaint
C@LAg
also.. subtitles warning.

There are a lot.

Almost all Japanese dialogue is in subtitles.

Portuguese/Spanish and English are in English.

What they do for that is start in Portuguese and then switch to English once that is established.

My hope is that once Anjin/the pilot learns Japanese fluently, it switches over to full English to reflect his (and our) better understanding. But I do not think they will do that. Private conversations between Japanese characters remain in Japanese, while similar conversations between (e.g., )Portuguese) are in English.
La Bamba
AG
Rodrigues is my favorite so far.
C@LAg
La Bamba said:

Rodrigues is my favorite so far.
he has come a long way since Suddenly Susan
Southlake
My senior year at A&M after putting up with Corps bs all day and studying all night, I'd smoke a bowl and read a few chapters of Shogun before I blissfully dozed off.

Greatness…
C@LAg
I just finished rewatching both episodes again, so I could sit back and spend more time watching it than reading subtitles, but occasionally pausing to look up some historical things on wikipedia.

Music is better than I gave it credit for the first time around (Atticus Ross is one of the composers).

Set design and art direction just continue to blow me away.

May have to read the novel some time this summer.
Teddy Perkins
AG
bluefire579
AG
I'm reading the book right now. It's good (the first episode follows closely, so interested to see if it stays that way), but the one thing throwing me off is that he uses a third person omniscient viewpoint. Honestly can't remember the last time I read a book that jumps around so quickly to different perspectives, so it's been a bit jarring getting myself into that mindset.

Absolutely loved the first episode (waiting to get far enough in the book for the second), feel they did a fantastic job capturing it, and feel like the changes they have made (all pretty small) worked really well for pacing. Really looking forward to the rest of the series.
AJ02
AG
Can someone give me a general idea what this is about?
James Forsyth
AJ02 said:

1600 in Japan. The Portuguese maintain a stranglehold on Western trade with Japan. A Dutch ship piloted by an Englishman (John Blackthorne) using stolen Spanish charts makes its way to a landing in Japan. At the same time, the Taiko (ruler of Japan) died a year before. HIs young son is protected by a ruling council of regents (5 great lords). The two main lords of the council are Ishido (roughly the bad guy) and Toranaga (roughly the good guy). 2 of the regents are Christian.

Toranaga is seeking to protect the young ruler and stay alive himself while possibly seeking to become Shogun (that's what the other lords fear). Toranaga's true motives are not clear.

The lady Mariko is a Christian who speaks Portuguese. Toranaga uses Mariko to make sure the Portuguese priest translator is translating correctly.

Overall, for modern viewer's shorthand....think "Game of Thrones" in Japan.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
AJ02 said:

Last Samurai and Game of Thrones had a baby.
zap
AG
If you like Shogun, check out "Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan" on Netflix. It is excellent.

cr0wbar
AG
Ban Shogun

Everywhere
EclipseAg
AG
I watched both episodes last night. Very, very good. It's got a beautiful look to it. Really draws you in.

I had trouble figuring out the Japanese names and who was who, but I have that problem with every show/movie with lots of characters.
birdman
AJ02 said:

Stranger in a strange land.

Shipwrecked Englishman is shocked by Japanese culture. Japanese are shocked by English and Portuguese sailors and their lack of culture.

Englishman befriends powerful Japanese leader. Hijinks ensue.

C@LAg
birdman said:

AJ02 said:

Stranger in a strange land.

Shipwrecked Englishman is shocked by Japanese culture. Japanese are shocked by English and Portuguese sailors and their lack of culture.

Englishman befriends powerful Japanese leader. Hijinks ensue.

also booty call with really hot japanese chick.
C@LAg
FYI.

apparently there are different versions of the show, which determines whether you will see ta-tas or not.

So this is showing on Hulu and FX.

Which channel is the one that will be showing the ta-tas?

and does this mean I have to watch the first two episodes a 3rd time?

(I really do not know the difference)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.