Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

55,994 Views | 421 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by aTmAg
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
- In this context, FX is a cable channel, one that is prone to whatever potential broadcast restrictions/traditions, hence this is likely where edited version airs.

- Hulu is an app/streaming platform, unbound by any potential restrictions/traditions, hence this is almost assuredly where the unedited version airs.

- Hulu is also in the middle of a transition to/merge with Disney+, and at some point this year will no longer be a standalone app. In fact, right now, you can find Hulu as its own tab within Disney+.

In short, Disney owns FX, Hulu, and obviously Disney+. If you're a cable subscriber, you can watch Shogun on FX. If you're an app subscriber, you can watch Shogun on Hulu or Disney+.

Personally, I'm a subscriber to both, but always choose to watch shows on the apps/streamers, if only because the quality/bit rate is so much better there, and FX doesn't always air in 4K on cable, whereas 4K is standard on the apps/streamers.
Teddy Perkins
AG
EclipseAg said:

I watched both episodes last night. Very, very good. It's got a beautiful look to it. Really draws you in.

I had trouble figuring out the Japanese names and who was who, but I have that problem with every show/movie with lots of characters.
FX has some resources for keeping things straight.

Also, https://www.fxnetworks.com/shows/shogun/viewers-guide/characters
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

- In this context, FX is a cable channel, one that is prone to whatever potential broadcast restrictions/traditions, hence this is likely where edited version airs.

- Hulu is a app/streaming platform, unbound by any potential restrictions/traditions, hence this is almost assuredly where the unedited version airs.

- Hulu is also in the middle of a transition to/merge with Disney+, and at some point this year will no longer be a standalone app. In fact, right now, you can find Hulu as its own tab within Disney+.

In short, Disney owns FX, Hulu, and obviously Disney+. If you're a cable subscriber, you can watch Shogun on FX. If you're an app subscriber, you can watch Shogun on Hulu or Disney+.

Personally, I'm a subscriber to both, but always choose to watch shows on the apps/streamers, if only because the quality/bit rate is so much better there, and FX doesn't always air in 4K on cable, whereas 4K is standard on the apps/streamers.
Thanks for the detailed response. I am familiar with all of that. But appreciate.

The part I was look for clarification . given 1 source is apparently going to filter some content and the other will not, which is the one that is likely not doing any censoring?
TCTTS
AG
Hulu is almost assuredly the one not censoring. I should have used "censored" instead of "edited."
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Hulu is almost assuredly the one not censoring. I should have used "censored" instead of "edited."
got it. Thx. my concern was because of the merging of Hulu and Disney+ i was thinking Hulu might be the one more likely to edit because of the upcoming merger of services.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. I initially had that same concern, but since the merger Disney+ has embraced all of the FX/Fox R-rated material. In fact, just a couple days ago I logged onto Disney+ and was surprised to see both Deadpool movies being advertised front and center in the Marvel tab. They finally said screw it and are letting Disney+ be more than just an app primarily for kids.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Gotcha. I initially had that same concern, but since the merger Disney+ has embraced all of the FX/Fox R-rated material. In fact, just a couple days ago I logged onto Disney+ and was surprised to see both Deadpool movies being advertised front and center in the Marvel tab. They finally said screw it and are letting Disney+ be more than just an app primarily for kids.
you also need to stop posting on texags and go watch the first two episodes, in case you have not.

i expect a Shogun novel length post from you when you do.
TCTTS
AG
Been saving it for tonight, based on reactions in this thread and online. About to grab some dinner and dive in.
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

Been saving it for tonight, based on reactions in this thread and online. About to grab some dinner and dive in.
i predict at least 7 edits.
TCTTS
AG
In the show or in my reaction post?
C@LAg
TCTTS said:

In the show or in my reaction post?
reaction post.

let's be honest. your floor is always at least 5.

even when the show/movie does not deserve it.

that said, I am 100% confident you are going to love this.

Even if the story has been told many times before the level of execution across the board on this production is amazing.
Cromagnum
AG
Wife wanted to try to watch with Mr despite my caution. She threw in the towel 30 minutes in once they boiled that one dude alive.
C@LAg
Cromagnum said:

Wife wanted to try to watch with Mr despite my caution. She threw in the towel 30 minutes in once they boiled that one dude alive.
very few scenes like that so far. this is not GoT in that regard. I can think of two beheadings and that scene for anything that might make someone queasy. Even the squalor scenes in the prison/jail are much more sanitized than they would likely have been in the "real world".
El Gallo Blanco
Why the heck can I not find Shogun on Disney Plus? My settings are adult. Is it because I have YouTube TV and FX App?
TCTTS
AG
Did you use the actual Disney+ search feature? When I do it comes up for me, no problem.
El Gallo Blanco
TCTTS said:

Did you use the actual Disney+ search feature? When I do it comes up for me, no problem.

Yep…weird, oh well found it works on my FX app. Halfway through first ep and it's got my attention.
TresPuertas
AG
Watched both yesterday. Really into it. i'm a history lover and this is a story and era and area i'm not very familiar with.

has anyone had trouble getting past the fact that John is the possible scientific mixed child of andrew lincoln and Ryan Phillipe.

it's all i can think about
MrPlow2010
AG
TresPuertas said:

has anyone had trouble getting past the fact that John is the possible scientific mixed child of andrew lincoln and Ryan Phillipe.
I've only seen the first episode but I feel he is the next iteration of Tom Hardy. Tom Hardy -> Logan Marshall-Green -> This guy .
aggiepaintrain
AG
El Gallo Blanco said:

Why the heck can I not find Shogun on Disney Plus? My settings are adult. Is it because I have YouTube TV and FX App?

hulu
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Watched the first episode. Badass.
William Foster
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Watched the first episode. Badass.
Yep.

La Bamba
AG
zap said:

If you like Shogun, check out "Age of Samurai: Battle for Japan" on Netflix. It is excellent.

I knew the name "Toranaga" sounded familiar and when I dug into it, that character is based off of Tokugawa Ieyasu, who is covered in that Netflix special. I presume we will see something similar to the Battle of Tekigahara in the show.
ag88man
AG
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-real-history-behind-fxs-shogun-180983848/

Here is a short Smithsonian article about the people the novel/show is based on.

I've only watched the first episode, and maybe it's unimportant, but I thought they undersold both Omni's intelligence and Yugi's sadistic nature.
C@LAg
i mean.. you can read all that stuff, but you are likely to spoil yourself to general plot points if you are watching the show with no prior information.
La Bamba
AG
C@LAg said:

i mean.. you can read all that stuff, but you are likely to spoil yourself to general plot points if you are watching the show with no prior information.

True but for me I ended up downloading the audiobook anyway. I can't wait until the next episode.
William Foster
Just finished first two episodes and loving this show. Hope it doesn't let me down.

Tom Hardy from Wish actually does a pretty solid job. Tonaga's an badass. And the translator chick? Would marry.
C@LAg
William Foster said:

Tonaga's an badass.
you mean Shimazu Akira of the Osaka Continental?
rhutton125
AG
Hiroyuki Sanada rules in everything. It's a shame his role in Endgame was so brief.
PatAg
AG
Watched both episodes, and I will say this. Partway through episode 1 I was not sure why everyone was speaking so highly of the show.
The latter part of episode 1 and all of episode 2 really deliver the goods.
PatAg
AG
and I KNEW that was Richard from Lost as Rodrigues in Episode 1, great actor
aTmAg
AG
Watch it again. I caught a TON of things I missed the first time. I bet if I watch it yet a 3rd time I will catch more stuff I missed.
torrid
AG
Pissing on the guy's back and boiling the one guy alive were both in the original mini-series from 1980.
Teddy Perkins
AG
Another solid episode.
Stive
AG
I watch shows like this on CC to try and keep up but man this one is tough. Other than the main 3-4 people, I have a hard time keeping up with their names, but then you throw them all in helmets, fighting, at night….and I'm completely lost.

I'm enjoying the heck out of it but wow it's a test of concentration and context clues.
aTmAg
AG
Stive said:

I watch shows like this on CC to try and keep up but man this one is tough. Other than the main 3-4 people, I have a hard time keeping up with their names, but then you throw them all in helmets, fighting, at night….and I'm completely lost.

I'm enjoying the heck out of it but wow it's a test of concentration and context clues.
Gotta watch it at least twice. I catch a lot of stuff I missed the first time.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.