Shogun 10-episode miniseries coming to FX

55,988 Views | 421 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by aTmAg
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Now it's a thread. Book reader discourse still alive and well. LMAO.
bluefire579
AG
aTmAg said:

Does the last episode follow the book? Or have they diverged?
I didn't see if anyone answered it, but basically the front half is a bit condensed to simplify things for TV, while the back half is pretty much spot on, other than a few of the details changed here and there.
Scriffer
AG
Al Bula said:

Five episodes in so haven't read any of this thread since the show started. Keep in mind that Shogun is in my top 5 books and I can't not compare the book to show.

Halfway through impressions:

- Shogun is way too complex to do in Japanese subtitles, for anyone enjoying this series but haven't read the novel yet, there are so many more layers to this story than what FX is putting out. maybe this will change in the later episodes.
- girlboss Mariko is cringe, they completely botched this character, it was eye rolling when she told Blackthorne to call her Mariko-sama
- Fuji/Fujiko is well done, probably the most pleasant surprise halfway through
- Yabu is a smiling idiot
- Omi is a joke through half the show
- Ajiro (or Anjiro in the novel) is on the Izu peninsula and has a coastal climate. The snow is driving me nuts because that is way inaccurate. I guess that's what you get when you film in Canada, so the geography may not be authentic but at least it's not CGI.
- Ishido and Blackthorne are pretty good. There's still some stuff lost in the tv adaptation vs superb novel between Ishido and Toranaga
- Toranaga in the show is pretty good but he doesn't compare to the novel version, physically nor cunning-wise

I just read the book in the fall, and I actually agree with a lot of this. But it's also just some of what you have to accept on an adaptation. There's just no way to translate the subtlety of a 1200 page novel into even a 10 hour series. For example, Ochiba has a much smaller role in the book, but they're utilizing her for a lot of necessary exposition.

I do agree about Mariko. Compared to the strength of her resolve and composure in the book, this character comes off as pretty petulant.

And yeah, in the book Omi was great, but also not a big enough character to fully develop here.

Disagree on Toranaga. I think he's doing great on the character, but they've sacrificed a lot of his development and his relationship with Blackthorn to drive the plot. Again, that's just something you have to accept in an adaptation.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it, but I can't recommend the book enough. One of the most compelling reads I can remember.
Noblemen06
AG
Compared to her performance in the Godzilla series, I thought the actress playing Mariko was solid in Shogun (I haven't read the book, though, so no comparison to the book version).
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think she has been the best actor on the show. Not diminishing anyone else's job, that's just how good she has been. She steals every scene imo. Toronaga is a close second.
bluefire579
AG
I'd switch the order, personally, but yeah, they've both been outstanding
LB12Diamond
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

I think she has been the best actor on the show. Not diminishing anyone else's job, that's just how good she has been. She steals every scene imo. Toronaga is a close second.

All the little things she does is what makes her so great. When they are trapped and Blackthorn is trying to move the furniture. She does a small smile towards him bc he's trying so hard to save her. And then her last line where she seems very proud and at peace.
aTmAg
AG
I saw a clip of an interview of her on Cobert, and she actually learned how to do calligraphy to match the real life character she is playing. Apparently some of her writings still survive somehow. Talk about attention to detail.
agracer
AG
Fightin TX Aggie said:

C@LAg said:

Fightin TX Aggie said:

I just had an idea.

snipped
this was a dick thing to post in this way, spoiling the ending of the book and likely the TV show, with no warning you were going to be spoiling the ending.

hell I got a 1 month ban for making a Stranger Things joke about a single plot point in the MCU thread... three weeks after the show aired.
My apologies, sincerely. I thought the spoiler tags would be enough.

I've added a note to clarify and warn.
. Your note is not enough. You spoiled the entire ending. You should have been A LOT more clear than " The idea relates to Mariko, but it connects to something from the original miniseries, so don't click the spoiler if you don't want something spoiled. "

The entire ending is more than "something spoiled "
TCTTS
AG
Cliff.Booth
weak ass ninjas
Cliff.Booth

I was asking my friend who Blackthorned in Japan for 10 years if he'd watched it yet and he said he will have to wait and watch it alone because his Japanese wife hates how badly that actress speaks Japanese. Didn't realize she's an Aussie.
dave94
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

I was asking my friend who Blackthorned in Japan for 10 years if he'd watched it yet and he said he will have to wait and watch it alone because his Japanese wife hates how badly that actress speaks Japanese. Didn't realize she's an Aussie.
Seven Costanza
AG
What exactly is her criticism? Her accent? Although she was born in New Zealand, she moved to Japan at age 10, so I'd be shocked if she isn't essentially a native speaker with maybe a hint of a non-native accent. It doesn't seem like they would have hired her if it were "bad", given the show's apparent focus on authenticity.
Cliff.Booth
No idea! Just said she'd seen her in some other Japanese movie or show and was like, not this lady with the bad accent again. Probably not something you'd notice or care about if you're not a native speaker.
ChoppinDs40
AG
Wife is probably just jealous because that actress is smoking hawt.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Just a complete smokeshow. Wouldn't think twice about letting her ruin my life.
Cliff.Booth
ChoppinDs40 said:

Probably so. I asked my wife to dye her hair black and get that Mariko cut.
ChoppinDs40
AG
And then call you - cliffbooth-sama.
LCE
AG
Not a bad idea….while I'm just walking around the house in a robe.
Counterpoint
AG
Cliff.Booth said:

ChoppinDs40 said:

Probably so. I asked my wife to dye her hair black and get that Mariko cut.

Try to get her to walk like those women did
Southlake
The book was much more in depth with the main characters evenly. The mini- series was focused more on Blackthorn. The first 5 episodes now were all about Toranaga; the last 4 on Mariko.

I think the below statement along with it being blacked out was more than fair warning not to read it. It you did and you're upset, you lost honor and need to commit Seppuku immediately.

"*WARNING** This is a significant spoiler if this show goes like the 1980s show."

Quad Dog
AG
I find these really funny.

TCTTS
C@LAg
Southlake said:

I think the below statement along with it being blacked out was more than fair warning not to read it. It you did and you're upset, you lost honor and need to commit Seppuku immediately.

"*WARNING** This is a significant spoiler if this show goes like the 1980s show."

hey Sherlock.... that warning was not there for an hour or two until people complained about the spoiler.

Southlake
Do he doctored it after he posted it? If that's the case, nevermind.

Some cheap sh#t there: You may continue to whine.
So I saw my DVR schedule for Shogun on YTTV and it shows that episode 10 released 11 hours ago. I'm currently watching the last episode. Looking at Twitter, it still shows that last episode appears tomorrow 4/23. Obviously not going to post any reactions/spoilers until tomorrow.
p_bubel
#1 said:

So I saw my DVR schedule for Shogun on YTTV and it shows that episode 10 released 11 hours ago. I'm currently watching the last episode. Looking at Twitter, it still shows that last episode appears tomorrow 4/23. Obviously not going to post any reactions/spoilers until tomorrow.

Apparently it's only available if you have the 4k Plus subscription.

Hopes expertly dashed.
BigAg95
AG
I started it, and it was the dubbed version. It was hard to watch, so I turned it off to wait for the regular version on Hulu. They usually roll them out at 11 CT.
BQRyno
AG
Good show. I'll keep it spoiler free and just say that wasn't what I was expecting in the finale.
C@LAg
BQRyno said:

Good show. I'll keep it spoiler free and just say that wasn't what I was expecting in the finale.
Bring on Season 2.... :-)

Solid finale. I am sure those expecting a big battle were/are going to be disappointed, but that was not what this book/show are/were about.

I get why they changed some of the things they did overall, to boost the Japanese side of the story more to fit a "modern storytelling" approach but we did miss out on some good Mariko/Anjin and Toranaga/Anjin stuff that would have been nice to see brought over from the book. Both of those relationships were much more standoffish in the tv than in the novel.

Production values overall were stellar across the board all season. Good use of natural set locations, with indoor/outdoor village sets. The CGI around Osaka was always mediocre, but it was minimal enough that it was not too distracting when it was used.

Music was a HUGE disappointment all season long. It was just ... there. Nothing really stood out, and the lack of some recurring things was disappointing. At least in this episode the music was notably more impactful and present.

Acting was stellar except for Lady Ochiba. The way the actress delivered her lines just always annoyed me.

Would have LOVED to see Toranaga in the Shogun armor. Even if it was something cheesy like him staring at the camera then sitting down. And we missed out on Ishida's book ending.

Anyways. This has been the best show for me since season 5 or 6 of GOT.
Max Power
AG
Overall a great show, well worth the time investment.
After about halway through I figured we weren't going to get the Toranaga/Ishido showdown we hoped for just because of the time left. This show was about subtlety though and the ending, while being exposition, fit the story they gave us. There lies Ishido's shame as well, he didn't have to go into battle and realize he had no banners of support, he can't go into battle to begin with, it's over, he was bested by Toranaga.
Noblemen06
AG
What a great series
torrid
AG
My thoughts.

In the flash forward or dream sequence (I'm leaning towards the latter) of Blackthorne as an old man back in England, the makeup was horrible. It would have been an interesting tip of the hat to have had Richard Chamberlain, were he able at age 90, to play the elderly Blackthorne.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I assume it's over ?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.