*** STREAMING INDUSTRY THREAD ***

37,780 Views | 403 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by YouBet
double aught
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sea Speed said:

Streaming is too effing complicated now.
For sure. Got in a fight with my wife the other night because I bumped the AppleTV remote, causing it to skip to the end of Suni Lee's uneven bars routine. Before I could figure out how to go back or if there was another app to watch it on, the result had been spoiled. So ridiculous.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

Eh, I guess. I could see that being good for young kids, and some people may be nostalgic for some reason for the old days when you were forced to watch whatever show happened to be broadcasting at that certain time, but not me.

I don't envision myself watching any of those "channels". I've divested myself too much from the "gotta tune in at 8:00 pm eastern to catch the latest Seinfeld episode!" routine.

The way Pluto does it suits my viewing habits pretty well. Scroll categories, find a channel marathoning a show I like, and leave that one on for a while or until I fall asleep. Sometimes it could be Addams Family, sometimes it could be Cheers! I like to spice things up.
toucan82
Hey, take it easy. This is a family website
Iowaggie
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

The big question for me is sports. I don't mean big nationally covered games. I mean your local team's games when they aren't the national game of the week on ESPN, ABC, etc.

Regional sports networks seem to be going the way of the dodo bird. I miss most of the Tampa Bay lightnings games the past couple of years because most games are on a regional sports network only available via one cable company in this area, (Bally Dports which is apparently going under).

I did read an article recently where the Seattle Kraken signed a deal with Amazon, where regionally broadcast games would be on Amazon as an add-on package available if you live in select states like Washington and Oregon, etc.

I like that idea. And I think I'd like to see it taken out of individual team's hands to make those deals. Make it a league-wide thing. For example, the NHL or NFL signs a deal with a streaming provider who then broadcasts every team's "regional" games that haven't been allocated to be nationally broadcast.

The RSN's are a mess.

The old cable bundle was the best era to be a sports fan. The non-sports fans were subsidizing the more expensive sports channels, and everything could be found relatively.

Now with cord-cutting, the benefit goes to the non-sports fan. Most sports fans need multiple content providers that are creeping up in price much faster than what the cable bundle did, and good luck dealing with an RSN situation if you are an NBA, MLB or NHL fan. The non-sports fan has no need to have 6 different streaming apps for non-sports content, and that person could really get by with just 1 content provider per month (not that most of us are satisfied with just 1 content provider anymore).
TCTTS
AG

Aggie_Journalist
AG
The rise of Tubi: https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/13/business/media/tubi-movies-tv-streaming.html

"It now consistently outranks Peacock, Max, Paramount+ and Apple TV+ in total viewing time, according to Nielsen and is drawing even with Disney+. Only YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Hulu are still ahead"
Thanks and gig'em
Iowaggie
AG
20ag07
This is a dumb ruling, and likely to be overturned. Just given the calendar, not in time for the start of football season.

The big 3 should have just thrown in a couple of channels like Lifetime and TLC, and then Fubo never would have been able to make the argument.

Fubo is fked, it just may take a year or 2. At this point, there is no real need for 3rd party aggregators. There used to be, when there was significant capital infrastructure for cable/satellite, etc. However, Fubo doesn't really provide much of anything.

If it doesn't get overturned, ESPN will just go on along with the standalone service it was doing anyway. (The other 2 already have it). And just cut Fubo and the other 3rd party aggregators out.
Iowaggie
AG
Maybe, but I don't think any customer should be too excited about eliminating the 3rd party bundlers. For the media companies, they still provide a big flow of income. For the customer, the bundlers are still an option when wanting to use multiple services, and those companies have more bargaining power than the individual has.

Yes, ESPN might soon offer their stand-alone service at $25-30 per month, but if it is like all the other services, it will creep up to close to double that. Disney + ad-free was $6.99, and ad-free is now $13.99. Every streaming service has creeped up in cost at a rate greater than what cable or satellite used to increase.

I'm not saying Venu shouldn't be a great option, but I am pretty sure people will be complaining about the price of ESPN a few years after it launches it's stand alone service.
superunknown
AG
People are going to complain anytime they have to pay for something they should be getting for free, though, right?
TCTTS
AG
Great pod on this today...

TCTTS
AG
20ag07 said:

This is a dumb ruling, and likely to be overturned. Just given the calendar, not in time for the start of football season.

The big 3 should have just thrown in a couple of channels like Lifetime and TLC, and then Fubo never would have been able to make the argument.

Fubo is fked, it just may take a year or 2. At this point, there is no real need for 3rd party aggregators. There used to be, when there was significant capital infrastructure for cable/satellite, etc. However, Fubo doesn't really provide much of anything.

If it doesn't get overturned, ESPN will just go on along with the standalone service it was doing anyway. (The other 2 already have it). And just cut Fubo and the other 3rd party aggregators out.

Belloni and Sherman seem to think the exact opposite in their episode above, just via a new route. There's language in the ruling that hints at bundling by the studios themselves as possibly/eventually being struck down altogether. In other words, if so, it would take a third party aggregator (or two or three) to come along and bundle all the streamers together... just like cable companies do now for cable. Except for digital/streaming. They speculate that a company like Apple could stop producing their own content in favor of playing the aggregator they've always seemingly wanted to be.
double aught
AG
This is all a huge mess right now. It literally took me five minutes to turn on a baseball game this weekend, partly because I had to sign back into an account using my junky little Roku TV remote.
TCTTS
AG

Quad Dog
AG
Family friendly, Christianity based reality TV?
Iowaggie
AG
Not sure what version of HBO that Charter is giving their customers but this seems like somewhat a big deal.

Seems like losing the NBA is somewhat a big deal

Iowaggie
AG
More streaming provider/carrier deals in time for today's football. Some potentially interesting details

YouBet
AG
Hulu + Disney + ESPN price hike goes into effect soon.

Ever closer to my old DTV price.
YouBet
AG
I switched back to YTTV today and killed my Hulu Live + Disney + ESPN bundle.

Such a superior experience over Hulu. Not even close.

Also, it's actually cheaper to use YTTV and buy Disney and ESPN individually if you still want that content.

It's also cheaper to buy Max as an add-on via YTTV vs buying Max individually.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.