Yellowstone is done

14,928 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by TyHolden
Charpie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like this is the last season of Yellowstone. I updated the season thread. But I wanted to make sure that everyone saw this.

Kevin Costner is done with the show, so the show is over.

https://deadline.com/2023/02/yellowstone-kevin-costner-series-to-end-taylor-sheridan-plots-franchise-extension-matthew-mcconaughey-1235251400/
Belton Ag
AG
I thought they really needed to bring the Costner arc of the Dutton saga to a close anyway, the storylines are starting to get strained. Ending it now and doing a run of limited series like 1883 & 1923 would probably be a better way to go forward.
beanbean
Was the original plan that there would be one more season and that would be the last and include Costner?
bluefire579
AG
Belton Ag said:

I thought they really needed to bring the Costner arc of the Dutton saga to a close anyway, the storylines are starting to get strained. Ending it now and doing a run of limited series like 1883 & 1923 would probably be a better way to go forward.
Definitely felt that strain starting in season 3. I haven't watched the latest one, but the plot armor started feeling super thick around then.
dreyOO
I'm actually excited by this. My wife and I usually won't start shows unless we can binge the whole series. Hate waiting in between seasons and losing steam.

This means we might be able to get this in the queue.
An L of an Ag
AG
They should do a post-apocalyptic sequel series where Tate is now the cyborg warlord of Montana!
javajaws
AG
An L of an Ag said:

They should do a post-apocalyptic sequel series where Tate is now the cyborg warlord of Montana!
I'm hoping for an Outer Range/1899 type crossover so Spencer can simultaneously time travel to the future and get back to Montana without taking 10 episodes to do so. He can then solve all of the Dutton's problems in the current time and then travel back to 1923 to fix the problems he would have had to originally fix in order for there to still be a Yellowstone ranch in the current time period.
Sea Speed
AG
We just finished season 2 and by the end I thought the show was incredibly cheesy and completely unrealistic. I cannsee how people get hooked but imo the writing is juuuuust a little subpar and some of the acting is just terrible. For instance, Casey is talking to his wife and just barely raises his voice and that little annoying butthole tate wildly over reacts by screaming "STOP IT" like Casey is about to beat her with a lead pipe or something. Just so bad.

Then the cops basically strip searching ole girl because of the hyper racist retail "I judged you because of your skin" clerk? GMAFB.
Saxsoon
AG
Sounds like Costner was causing issues and by ending this show and bringing most of the cast to the new show likely gets them out of any preexisting contracts
MaroonStain
AG
Casey's wife is extremely annoying. She must have been a side dish for Sheridan since Wind River.
BrazosDog02
AG
I think MM would be a fine replacement. I'm assuming he won't be like in Dallas Buyers Club though. Lol.

Guys. These are just actors. KC is fine, but the show is off the rails and Sheridan knows it. They can keep Costner on in a lesser capacity and transition in MM.

Personally, as someone who has watched this play out in a professional setting, Sheridan is the younger buck and really ought to be more accommodating. When you get on top of your career and an experienced veteran of your profession, you make a lot of calls with your expertise and experience. Sheridan doesn't seem to get it but I've seen a lot of folks like him think talent is a dime a dozen and get burned. That's ok, that's his personality for better or worse. We'll see if that plays out as I expect it will.
RightWingConspirator
AG
We could never get through season 2 of this show. We found it hard to watch. Between the hyper sensitive Indian woman and Beth, I just could not get into it. To each their own as I know it's wildly popular.
emando2000
AG
Yellowstone should've been done at season 2. After that it was just the same. Monica crying about everything and Beth upset at everything. It's a bad show now.
cbr
AG
the show started as pretty silly but very entertaining... then slowly wobbled off into absurd bull**** and **** writing.

i expect costner just said, 'screw this, i dont want any part of this garbage anymore.'

that said, i really enjoyed 1883 and 1923 so far. and we enjoyed this series for a while too.
chick79
AG
There will probably be a Beth Dutton spinoff.
emando2000
AG
I really like 1923 but not a huge fan of 1883. 1923 has me looking forward to the next episode each week.
Charpie
AG
MM's spin-off will be the son that he never told anyone about
StinkyPinky
AG
chick79 said:

There will probably be a Beth Dutton spinoff.

Please lord NO!
FL_Ag1998
AG
As others have stated, the show started out as silly but fun. Then increasingly veered into absolute ridiculous Dallas/Knots Landing/Melrose Place territory. It should have ended already.

I gotta think Costner is getting out in part because of that. He's too good of an actor to be stuck in this farce, and MM is way too good and still at the top of his game to be suckered into this soap opera.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
We will stay on til the end, but it won't be easy.
cbr
AG
Honestly the first 5 minutes of 1883 were worth watching the whole thing for.
Aggie_Boomin 21
AG
Sucks Costner is potentially ending other peoples' jobs, but don't really blame him. Wouldn't want to be the lead in a crappy show either when he likely doesn't need to be or has other options.
$3 Sack of Groceries
AG
That's what I love about these train stations, man. Alright right alright.
aggiepaintrain
AG
emando2000 said:

I really like 1923 but not a huge fan of 1883. 1923 has me looking forward to the next episode each week.

WHAT ??
emando2000
AG
cbr said:

I think I'm just a sucker for revenge movies. I liked 1883, just not as much as 1923.
MGS
$240 Worth of Pudding said:

That's what I love about these train stations, man. Alright right alright.
Can't wait for the naked bongo scene with Rip.
BrazosDog02
AG
cbr said:

Totally enjoyed 1883 way more than any of the other shows.

But let's all be honest…you could have made the show about moving a dog turd safely from texas to Oregon and then cast Sam Elliott and it would be just as amazing.
Urban Ag
AG
Sea Speed said:

We just finished season 2 and by the end I thought the show was incredibly cheesy and completely unrealistic. I cannsee how people get hooked but imo the writing is juuuuust a little subpar and some of the acting is just terrible. For instance, Casey is talking to his wife and just barely raises his voice and that little annoying butthole tate wildly over reacts by screaming "STOP IT" like Casey is about to beat her with a lead pipe or something. Just so bad.

Then the cops basically strip searching ole girl because of the hyper racist retail "I judged you because of your skin" clerk? GMAFB.
Coincidentally the wife and I started Yellowstone a few weeks ago and we just watched that episode a couple nights ago. That was literally the most cringy thing I have seen on tv in forever. My wife, who is a brown, was just eye rolling so hard we had to laugh.

We're on S3 now. It's fun, guilty pleasure tv. But as a guy that honestly is a rancher I have to grin and shake my head. And for the love of god, I always thought Montana was probably full of nice country folks. I don't think the Sopranos could hold their own against these cowboy psychos.
SoTxAg
AG
Yellowstone may be done but Taylor Sheridan has like 10 more shows coming out. Kinda want to see how he portrays the o&g industry with billy bob in Landman.
Charpie
AG
How many tv shows do you all watch that are completely and totally realistic?
jeffk
AG
Yellowstone being ridiculous is a big part of its charm.
Vince Blake
I'm in the middle of watching 1883. Just got done with the episode where Sheridan deus ex machina himself as Charles Goodnight.

Man that guy is really feeling himself at the moment lol.
AgTrip
So McConaughey will be rolling boogers between his fingers while driving a Dodge pickup instead of his Lincoln?

FL_Ag1998
AG
Charpie said:

How many tv shows do you all watch that are completely and totally realistic?

Lol, c'mon, there's stretching reality and then there's Yellowstone reality where the state's Attorney General, who also happens to be the Gov's adopted son, is planning to hire hitmen to kill the Gov's top advisor, who just happens to be the Gov's real daughter. Oh, and meanwhile she's advising the Gov that his adopted son, the A.G., is the one who needs to be killed and dumped off the side of the same cliff where this family has dumped approximately 83 other corpses over the years.
Gigem314
AG
I just hope we don't get a rushed 'ending' to the series. Ironically, John's character could have easily been killed off by the cancer early in the show (that turned out not to be cancer) or being shot and left by the side of the road to die. I think the series could have carried on without Costner. Now it seems unavoidable to have an abrupt, awkward, ending to John Dutton.

If MM is on board, I hope it's more 'Sahara' or 'Lincoln Lawyer' MM and not 'cheesy trying too hard' MM. Please don't make him the male version of Teeter.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.