Yellowstone is done

14,932 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 14 days ago by TyHolden
EclipseAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sheridan got lucky with "Yellowstone" in part because there wasn't anything like it on TV at the time. When he started it, I don't think he really had any idea what the full storyline would be or how it would all end up. That's why the plot meanders and it's become like a nighttime soap with violence.

Then, suddenly he had a big hit on his hands and Paramount ponied up big bucks to shoot "1883," which was clearly a much higher quality production and had a defined storyline. "1923" is proving to be the same.

It's a shame there are no do-overs and Sheridan can't start "Yellowstone" over again, knowing what he knows now and with the same approach to production and writing. The original premise of the series is still really intriguing with a setting that is unique to TV today.
Gigem314
AG
Yeah, I think had he killed off Costner early in the series...there would have been enough momentum with the rest of the cast to carry on and form a better story.

Even these past couple of seasons with John becoming Governor, it's almost like they didn't know what to do with his character. Keeping him on the ranch had been done, and Rip's character kind of took that over...so now they had to give John something else to do.
LB12Diamond
AG
Soap opera starting in season 3 is good way to put it. Just fell off the rails.

Beth's mom made her crazy.

John can not stand Jaime but guided him to who he is now.

Take some ownership.
torrid
AG
LB12Diamond said:

Soap opera starting in season 3 is good way to put it. Just fell off the rails.

Beth's mom made her crazy.

John can not stand Jaime but guided him to who he is now.

Take some ownership.
It's always been a soap opera. For me the show has always been a guilty pleasure with which I had a love/hate relationship. For me it probably peaked with season 2 as the ending was highly satisfying. Hell, Rip alone is enough reason to watch the show.
Agristotle
AG
It's "Dallas" on steroids and crack.
Cromagnum
AG
Sea Speed said:

We just finished season 2 and by the end I thought the show was incredibly cheesy and completely unrealistic. I cannsee how people get hooked but imo the writing is juuuuust a little subpar and some of the acting is just terrible. For instance, Casey is talking to his wife and just barely raises his voice and that little annoying butthole tate wildly over reacts by screaming "STOP IT" like Casey is about to beat her with a lead pipe or something. Just so bad.

Then the cops basically strip searching ole girl because of the hyper racist retail "I judged you because of your skin" clerk? GMAFB.

GIF Reactor
AG
I thought the plan was to end Yellowstone after this season any way?

cbr
AG
username checks out
Blanco Jimenez
AG
Costner's issue with Yellowstone has always been the shooting schedule. From my understanding, he's not a fan of the amount of time he's away from home.
Belton Ag
AG
Costner is a good actor, he just doesn't have a ton of range.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I don't mean to derail this thread, but it's not worth starting its own thread.

Should I give Yellowstone another shot?

I think I got maybe 1 or 2 episodes in and found it so cliche and over-the-top, I thought maybe it was satire.
I don't mind cliche and over-the-top, if it's done with some humor or the right tone. A show like that that I love would be "Justified". On the flip side of that, I hated "Sons of Anarchy". Should I try Yellowstone again?

Thunder18
AG
TexjbA&M said:

I don't mean to derail this thread, but it's not worth starting its own thread.

Should I give Yellowstone another shot?

I think I got maybe 1 or 2 episodes in and found it so cliche and over-the-top, I thought maybe it was satire.
I don't mind cliche and over-the-top, if it's done with some humor or the right tone. A show like that that I love would be "Justified". On the flip side of that, I hated "Sons of Anarchy". Should I try Yellowstone again?

Based on that, I would say no
Ag_07
AG
I got 2 seasons in and called it quits.

It got to be so over the top and ridiculous I just couldn't take it. Like cmon...How can one family have THAT bad of luck and THAT much drama.

It just got to be kind of a beating to watch.
Leggo My Elko
AG
I believe I called it quits when some characters were fly fishing on horseback.
Ag_07
AG
I think for me it was the Asian tourist being mauled by a bear.
Yellerjacket
TexjbA&M said:

On the flip side of that, I hated "Sons of Anarchy". Should I try Yellowstone again?

Probably not. Yellowstone is just Sons of Anarchy in Montana.
LB12Diamond
AG
Ag_07 said:

I got 2 seasons in and called it quits.

It got to be so over the top and ridiculous I just couldn't take it. Like cmon...How can one family have THAT bad of luck and THAT much drama.

It just got to be kind of a beating to watch.

Yes

Of all the people to try and wipe out the Duttons. Jaime's biological dad who is a nobody. Will send a mini army to take them ALL out. Alrighty

At that point, I was like, wow. That's some bad writing.

I might be the only one but I was not a fan of Sheridan's cameos and over the top acting. They were just exhausting.

I did not even know that was him at first but kept thinking, why are these parts even in the show? It's adding nothing of substance. When I found out who it was, I was like, ahh, that's why. Roll eyes
GIF Reactor
AG

torrid
AG
Belton Ag said:

If you haven't already, watch him in "Open Range" with Robert Duvall. Costner produced and directed it. One of the best modern-day Westerns.
FL_Ag1998
AG
torrid said:

Belton Ag said:

If you haven't already, watch him in "Open Range" with Robert Duvall. Costner produced and directed it. One of the best modern-day Westerns.

Costner's "shoot-out" (if you want to call it that) with the main gunfighter bad guy is one of the best gunfights in cinema history.
EclipseAg
AG
I actually liked the side stories about cutting horses and the Four Sixes ranch, etc. I agree that Sheridan is a bit awkward as an actor, and I'm sure there are some on here who will say a lot of it was inaccurate.

But they show a side of the rodeo/ranch lifestyle that most Americans never see and probably didn't know existed. And that's the main reason why "Yellowstone" is so popular in the first place. It appeals to the average viewer who is tired of cop shows and hospital dramas.

For example, the party after the branding day didn't move the plot or feature any big reveal, but it was interesting to watch and just enjoy.

To me, the biggest issue is that Sheridan introduces these plot lines and then never follows up on them.

ChipFTAC01
AG
Sheridan was actually a good character on SoA. Maybe because he wasn't "famous" then? Or because it was Sutter's bus and he was just along for the ride?
Buck Turgidson
I hope Beth is consumed by a pack of wolves in the final episode
JCA1
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

Or at least gets bitten by one and then surfs on top of one of the Yellowstone Dodge Dually's a la Teen Wolf.
ThreatLevel: Midnight
AG
Buck Turgidson said:

I hope Beth dumps 'em out.

Bazinga
Thanks & Gig 'Em
BurnetAggie99
A lot of smoke Matthew McConaughey will replace Costner.

Thunder18
AG
BurnetAggie99 said:

That will be ridiculous, but I guess par for the course with this show
ApachePilot
AG
Yellowstone has gotten off the rails but I'll forever love it for this scene alone

Charpie
AG
It kills me every time. So damn good
torrid
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

torrid said:

Belton Ag said:

Costner's "shoot-out" (if you want to call it that) with the main gunfighter bad guy is one of the best gunfights in cinema history.
Where he walks up to Tig and shoots him point-blank in the head? That was bad-ass. There were five guys lined up who should have taken him out, but he was so intimidating they just watched him.
ChipFTAC01
AG
ApachePilot said:

Yellowstone has gotten off the rails but I'll forever love it for this scene alone

Sonif his dad was 90 then (mid 1990s) then that confirms that he's the young cowboy who gets married in 1923.
cbr
AG
Thunder18 said:

BurnetAggie99 said:

That will be ridiculous, but I guess par for the course with this show
Nose picker jumping into a ridiculous, overhyped, pretentious brand pushing sort of western? What could be more appropriate?
jwoodmd
So, has the other shoe dropped on why Costner was wanting out and/or was wanting very minimal time filming - I'm sure there was friction with Sheridan but his impending divorce likely factors in.
Froppe
AG
MGS said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

That's what I love about these train stations, man. Alright right alright.
Can't wait for the naked bongo scene with Rip.

I'd prefer Beth, but to each his own….
JCA1
AG
Froppe said:

MGS said:

$240 Worth of Pudding said:

That's what I love about these train stations, man. Alright right alright.
Can't wait for the naked bongo scene with Rip.

I'd prefer Beth, but to each his own….

If we're going down that road, Monica or the girl Jaime is with are much better choices.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.