2024 Books Read

49,122 Views | 478 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by StinkyPinky
G.I.Bro
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Also one of his other secret projects, Tress and the Emerald Sea, is like a fairy tell set in the cosmere. He was inspired by the princess bride but has the female be the pirate/adventurer
713nervy
AG
Are these standalone books? I see that they are #28 and #29 books in the Cosmere (according to Goodreads). Will I be able to jump in there or do I need to go through 1-27 first?
G.I.Bro
They were meant to be standalone, the stories are completely self contained. There are world hoppers that appear and cosmere readers will be like Leo on the couch pointing "hey it's him", but first time readers will enjoy these books
713nervy
AG
Excellent. Thank you.
Lathspell
AG
You don't have to, but why wouldn't you? They are all good to fantastic, why start with the 28th book written?

It also makes those easter eggs so much more fun to see, when you recognize characters.
StinkyPinky
AG
Just got my copy of Dungeon Crawler Carl book 1. Going to alternate between DCC and Dresden Files between books. Will eventually sprinkle in The Expanse as well. Get those three out of the way and then finally Stormlight Archives. Lets get it on!
713nervy
AG
I read romance and romantasy books - if there's NO romance involved, I fear that I'll get bored after a book or two, let alone 27. I'm still gonna start his eventually but if there's as much journeying as there was in LOTR, I'm outta there. Booooooringggggg.
Lathspell
AG
Ahh... gotcha.

I would say Sanderson is NOTHING like Tolkien, other than they both write fantasy. His writing is very fast paced and easy to read, however he does not have much romance in any of his books. If I were to recommend a Sanderson book to someone who mentions your particular tastes, I would actually recommend Warbreaker. Fantastic little standalone novel in the Cosmere which can provide you a lot of great easter eggs in the other bigger Cosmere series later, if you decide to dive into Sanderson even more.
nai06
AG
At least you know what you like!

Give me a detective/crime novel set in the Highlands or islands of Scotland with a beautiful but at times dreary landscape and I am set.
StinkyPinky
AG
713nervy said:

I read romance and romantasy books - if there's NO romance involved, I fear that I'll get bored after a book or two, let alone 27. I'm still gonna start his eventually but if there's as much journeying as there was in LOTR, I'm outta there. Booooooringggggg.
If you want fantasy and romance try The Jasmine Throne.
The Marksman
AG
This Side of Paradise by F. Scott Fitzgerald. I am undertaking a re-read of the four completed works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, beginning with his debut novel. This Side of Paradise has historically been my second favorite of the four, and I enjoyed re-reading it. I plan on ranking the four when I am done with them.
YouBet
AG
Philo B 93 said:

StinkyPinky said:

Just finished the first Dresden Files Book (Storm Front). People say be patient because they get better. Holy Hell I can't imagine then because I thought it was greatness. Sucked me right in and most fun I've had in a long time reading a book.
I've read Storm Front, Changes, Dead Beat, and Skin Game. I like reading one Dresden book annually in the months leading up to Halloween. I have some regret about not reading them in order, but I think I'd get burned out if the first five are as slow as people say. I did enjoy Storm Front, so I'm probably skipping around for no good reason.

I also like a Stephen King during the Halloween season. Even if its not a horror novel, they all tend to feel a little dark.

This is incomprehensible to me! His books build upon one another and almost have to be read in order. It's one long, linear epic.
YouBet
AG
On vacation and plowed through The Kings of the Wyld (The Band #1) by Nicholas Eames. This was a blast of a read. It's a pretty straight forward fantasy quest action/adventure book.

A group of middle-aged mercenaries get back together to go rescue one of the members daughters. I'll leave it a that. Action, heart, and humor.

Don't know if I'll read the second book or not. They are stand-alone stories with different characters so don't need to.
13B
YouBet said:

On vacation and plowed through The Kings of the Wyld (The Band #1) by Nicholas Eames. This was a blast of a read. It's a pretty straight forward fantasy quest action/adventure book.

A group of middle-aged mercenaries get back together to go rescue one of the members daughters. I'll leave it a that. Action, heart, and humor.

Don't know if I'll read the second book or not. They are stand-alone stories with different characters so don't need to.
Different stories but definitely connected. Both are good.
Eliminatus
AG
Finally got around to reading Enemy at the Gates: The Battle of Stalingrad. A more narrative style approach to the battle. Enjoyed it a lot and fleshed out some more personal and first hand details of a lot of the events. There are a LOT of volumes on Stalingrad and I think I own and have read most of them at this point but this one always slipped below my radar somehow.

And no, the movie is not based off of it. Rather more inspired by a few passages.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
That is what I read about regarding the movie versus the book. I enjoyed the movie nevertheless. I always use the opening of that movie to contrast where I believe it succeeded against where I believe The Thin Red Line failed; in showing a map that gives you an overview of the strategic scenario that would drive the movie's action. Most Americans still don't know much about the Pacific islands and why many were important and others weren't. But with the way TTRL went with all the vision/dream crap, I have doubts that a similar opening would have helped that one much.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Completed Ready Player Two on the Sept. 6th. It was very good, but also very similar to Ready Player One. He does attempt to dig into the downside of a techno-society and it's consequences for humanity. I would recommend if you want more of what you got in RPO, with a bit more social criticism and stakes for humanity commentary built in.

Still in process: Hostage to the Devil, COMC (slow and steady progress)

Started: (Because I can't help myself, and I took my daughter to Barnes and Noble to get her some books, and that was dumb, because I can't leave without buying me some books as well, because books are my cocaine): The Best of Richard Matheson, and Stephen King's 11/22/63

The book that has languished the most is Hostage to the Devil. I keep getting distracted by others. COMC is being consumed in spurts. I need to get my act together and just get through them.

I'm terrible, know.
The Marksman
AG
The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald's second novel, in my opinion, showed considerable improvement in comparison to his debut novel when they're read back-to-back. The last time I read this novel I was not a huge fan and didn't like it as much as This Side of Paradise, but upon this re-read I'm much more impressed with it and actually really enjoyed it even more than his first novel. Now onto to my all-time favorite novel, Fitzgerald's third, The Great Gatsby.
StinkyPinky
AG
The Marksman said:

The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Fitzgerald's second novel, in my opinion, showed considerable improvement in comparison to his debut novel when they're read back-to-back. The last time I read this novel I was not a huge fan and didn't like it as much as This Side of Paradise, but upon this re-read I'm much more impressed with it and actually really enjoyed it even more than his first novel. Now onto to my all-time favorite novel, Fitzgerald's third, The Great Gatsby.
Whats amazing about This Side of Paradise is he was only 23 years old when he wrote it.
StinkyPinky
AG
I see what people were saying about the second Dresden Files book 2 (Fool Moon). I thought it started out really good, but struggled with the last third. And when I say struggled, I don't mean motivation of wanting to read, but the story and writing itself. Glad to hear that it gets monumentally better on subsequent books because without that knowledge I'd be hesitant. Even after loving the first book. Probably a good stopping point anyways so I can start Dungeon Crawler Carl bk 1. Plan to alternate 2 books (Dresden Files) to every Dungeon Crawler book.
Lathspell
AG
StinkyPinky said:

I see what people were saying about the second Dresden Files book 2 (Fool Moon). I thought it started out really good, but struggled with the last third. And when I say struggled, I don't mean motivation of wanting to read, but the story and writing itself. Glad to hear that it gets monumentally better on subsequent books because without that knowledge I'd be hesitant. Even after loving the first book. Probably a good stopping point anyways so I can start Dungeon Crawler Carl bk 1. Plan to alternate 2 books (Dresden Files) to every Dungeon Crawler book.
As a HUGE Dresden fan, I believe Fool Moon to be the worst Dresden book. I still like it, but it is by far the lowest on the totem pole.

Grave Peril is a huge trendsetter for the series, then the next 3 tend to have split opinions among readers. I happen to love them, but I have heard split opinions. But Book 7 (Dead Beat) is basically unanimously heralded as one of the best in the series and where the true Dresden streak begins. Everything after Dead Beat hits a standard level of good to great.

I personally think Grave Peril is where the streak starts, but I've heard some people trash Blood Rites (Book 6). Most those people I've seen trash it are Zoomers and tend to hold that "holier than thou" point of view when it comes to the "male gaze" they claim is so prevalent in the series.
Dr. Mephisto
AG
Lathspell said:

StinkyPinky said:

As a HUGE Dresden fan, I believe Fool Moon to be the worst Dresden book. I still like it, but it is by far the lowest on the totem pole.

Grave Peril is a huge trendsetter for the series, then the next 3 tend to have split opinions among readers. I happen to love them, but I have heard split opinions. But Book 7 (Dead Beat) is basically unanimously heralded as one of the best in the series and where the true Dresden streak begins. Everything after Dead Beat hits a standard level of good to great.

I personally think Grave Peril is where the streak starts, but I've heard some people trash Blood Rites (Book 6). Most those people I've seen trash it are Zoomers and tend to hold that "holier than thou" point of view when it comes to the "male gaze" they claim is so prevalent in the series.
The "male gaze" is elitist English faculty-room non-sense language used to point out the very human phenomenon of men being naturally attracted to the female form and feminine beauty.

Big deal.

These days, all things human are normal are to be viewed with a suspicious eye by liberal arts snoots.

English-types have to invent high-falutin lingo to make themselves feel important when observing ordinary things. I know because I traffic with the sort, as they say.

Like "Fat theory". It's a new "academic" bid to examine and dive deep into the strange phenomenon of fatties being gross to most everyone else.

Disgusted? No no no! You're supposed to embrace it and see it as a legitimate field of intellectual inquiry so the fatsos can pretend to be smart and taken seriously!

Dresden is great. I think the "worst" of his books is still great. Absolutely love Butcher, Correia, and similar unashamed writers who write for normal people.
StinkyPinky
AG
Lathspell said:

StinkyPinky said:

Cool, thanks for the insight.
StinkyPinky
AG
Half way through Dungeon Crawler Carl. Holy crap I love this book.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.