L0ST

13,032 Views | 170 Replies | Last: 17 hrs ago by Aggie_Boomin 21
Ghost of Bisbee
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
L0ST is the best TV show of all time. No others come close.
Am I right or am I right?

Stream now on Netflix.

Who's your favorite cast member?
C@LAg
you are so wrong that you are lost.
BQ2001
AG
Watching it live was amazing (I was even ok with the ending). Trying to figure out stuff week to week, listening to podcasts, reading theories, etc.

Tried to get back into it on Netflix and it's just not the same for me without all that.
Al Bula
AG
Appropriate:

Moral High Horse
I did a rewatch a few years back. It was very good to start off then I'm assuming the writers strike and laziness took hold. I did enjoy the finale but there was a noticeable decline.
Kraft Punk
HollywoodBQ
AG
I don't think it was laziness as much as the writers didn't have a plan for what to do after the first season or two.

Might have been better as a British style 2 series and done.
HollywoodBQ
AG
BQ2001 said:

Watching it live was amazing (I was even ok with the ending). Trying to figure out stuff week to week, listening to podcasts, reading theories, etc.

Tried to get back into it on Netflix and it's just not the same for me without all that.
In real time, it was an amazing time chatting online, even on this site as I recall.

Every week there were new theories or cryptic messages people thought they saw.

It was a lot of fun.
Fenrir
HollywoodBQ said:

I don't think it was laziness as much as the writers didn't have a plan for what to do after the first season or two.

Yeah I feel like it got stuck in that period of time between when shows tried to push as many episodes as possible to ensure syndication and the newer TV era where we have more defined story arcs. It's one thing for a show like Seinfeld to run on forever and another for a narrative driven story to do so. Give me more shows with defined arcs and planned lengths all day.
The Porkchop Express
AG
There was a time of high TV where Lost, The Shield, and BSG2004 were all on and I loved all three shows dearly. Lost took a lot of veering sidesteps the last couple of seasons that made me feel like I was just trying to get to the end rather than enjoying it, but I watched the whole thing over maybe 10 years ago and enjoyed most of it.

I'd put it in my top 10 dramas ever, but not sure top 10 shows.

Sawyer is the only answer for #1 character.

Feels so good, feelin' good again.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Constant is still in my top 10 all time TV episodes.
ElephantRider
AG
You are absolutely correct. This is the hill I choose to die on.
Lathspell
AG
I'm struggling to understand the thread's purpose. Is this a discussion on the top TV shows of all time, therefore a rebuttal is on topic? Or is this just a thread dedicated to a lovefest around a TV show that didn't ultimately know where it was going and went off the rails?
Faustus
I think it's to show off a different typeface/font for the thread title.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I love Lost. It's number 2 behind The Wire. I did a rewatch last year and loved it just as much as when it aired live. I know people hate the ending, but I thought it was great and was better the second time I watched it.
ElephantRider
AG
Lathspell said:

I'm struggling to understand the thread's purpose. Is this a discussion on the top TV shows of all time, therefore a rebuttal is on topic? Or is this just a thread dedicated to a lovefest around a TV show that didn't ultimately know where it was going and went off the rails?
That's when it got good
JDUB08AG
AG
The ending of season 3 remains the top season close of any show I've even seen. I was legitimately shocked during that last scene.
nai06
AG
Count me a one of the people that absolutely despised this show. I thought it was dumb and so poorly written, they just gave up because they had no idea what they were doing.
20ag07
It was something that will never be replicated, for sure.

You can't experience it by streaming the way it happened in real time.

3 moments for me, and I can remember exactly where I was for all of them:

-The pilot was the greatest thing ever produced for TV. I was an Alias super fan, so I was all in on this thing. The amount of money that was spent, that Bob Iger fired the guy for doing it it's all just amazing.

-That summer between S1 and S2, you had to be there for that break, and then opening with Desmond in the hatch with that song. Iconic TV experience that can't be replicated with a binge.

-"We have to go back" was absolutely nuts. 17 years ago, and I can still remember who all had come over to my place, jumping up and yelling at the TV when I figured it out about a minute before they told us. "We have to go back" will live in infamy as one of the greatest moments in TV history.

Even outside the watching experience, the casting was just nuts. Elizabeth Mitchell (Juliet), Michael Emerson (Ben Linus), all the etcs just being tacked on as it went along.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
John Locke
Hagen95
AG
RIP Charlie
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think I posted this the night it happened, but the episode where Linus takes John Locke to Jacob's cabin was the one that really got me.

I had gotten home from work late and was watching it with the lights off in my apartment. I had gone to the kitchen for something right when Jacob or Christian or whoever says "HELP ME" and I about jumped out of my skin.

Still not sure I know WTF is going on there - was christian the man in black at this point ? But jesus was that scary.

Unfortunately the island just kept on popping up more and more locations as the show needed them, like the temple that the Rebels attacked the Death star from that just showed up full of people at one point.

The Porkchop Express
AG
Hagen95 said:

RIP Charlie
HollywoodBQ
AG
About watching in real time.

When the show started in 2004, I was working on the Disney Lot in the Production Building which was adjacent to the writer's offices on the other side of the sound stage where they filmed ALIAS.

I moved to Australia at the end of 2007 and I don't remember off the top of my head how much of a delay was induced due to the Writer's Strike that was going hot and heavy at that time. Obviously I could look it up on IMDB.

In Australia, a lot of times they will show US or UK shows with a delay of several months or even years. By 2008/2009, they had the technology to send the episodes across immediately after they aired in the USA. They called that "Fast Tracked from the US".

The problem was, In the USA, the episodes aired on Monday night (I think) and in Australia they also aired on Monday night but it was the following week (six days later - Sunday US time). This meant that I only had 1 day to get online and read the latest theories before the next episode would spoil everything on the Internet.

This show is like none other that I can think of where it needed to rest between episodes and let your mind run wild with what was going to happen next.

After a while, I had a close Australian co-worker show me how to download bootleg videos from USENET News Groups (yeah, USENET from the 1990s).

It usually took a day or two for a HD copy to make its way onto USENET which now gave me 4-5 days to watch the show and chat on the message boards before the next episode aired.
Sea Speed
AG
I've still never seen a single episode.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Great first couple of seasons but I really thought it went off the rails soon and I stopped watching . It kinda reminded me of the original twin peaks. Great and gripping first few eps then off the rails she went (for me at least)
Aggie_Journalist
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

JJ Abrams launched a series without knowing where it would go or how it would end?

Huh.
Thanks and gig'em
C@LAg
Sea Speed said:

I've still never seen a single episode.
i only watched the premier and one other around season 5 or 6. but i kept up by reading the resident thread just to see how looney the guesses were.
Tobias Funke
AG
Really good show.
Incredible *experience*.

That's the best way I can think to sum it up.

And if you loved Lost but haven't watched The Leftovers on HBO, do yourself a favor and make it your next binge. 3 seasons and awesome
normalhorn
While it's DEFINITELY not worthy of the pantheon of best tv series (maybe hovering outside of the Top 10), I owe this show a debt of gratitude
I was working in an ad agency when I got the upfront copies waaaay before I was supposed to. I watched it, it blew my mind, and I decided to stake my entire career on it. I called up the chain and had a conversation with the owners of the company (very large private firm), when I was only 22, told them that our largest client (car manufacturer) should go BIG and buy every national spot they could get. Somehow, I convinced a room full of executives to trust some dip****, and when the overnights came in, I looked like a GD genius. I got a bonus much larger than I should have, and never flew rhat close to the sun again- melted my wings, and eventually quit the industry altogether

Still, I argue Kate was probably the hottest thing on broadcast TV that could have ever been written up to that point. The Jack/Sawyer tension was nuts

Anyhow…
20ag07
Quote:

Still, I argue Kate was probably the hottest thing on broadcast TV that could have ever been written up to that point. The Jack/Sawyer tension was nuts

"WE HAVE TO GO BACK"
Sea Speed
AG
I love stories like this.
cavok
AG
Very timely post. My mother-in-law is visiting, fell, and is immobile so we started rewatching Lost with my 17 year old daughters. They. Are. Enamored.

They can't get enough...watching 3 episodes a night and can't wait to start again the next evening.

My wife and I watched it live and even hosted watch parties at our house. I can relate to reading the message boards, speculating, and then being wrong every time...and we loved it! It was a great live experience.

I'm BORED with the second viewing. I know there are some great moments coming up but I can't get over the feeling that they reeled us in with no plan and just played us all for fools week after week. I'm a hater but I can't say anything because I don't want to ruin the fun for my daughters who are experiencing it for the first time.
HollywoodBQ
AG
Your watch party comment reminds me, my wife worked with some folks in Austin in the early-mid 90s who were doing X-Files watch parties.

When I'm watching old series with my kids, I'll do 2 series at a time rather than 2 episodes of the same show each night.

With one like LOST, it's a good opportunity to teach them to let each episode rest and percolate.

Frustrating for the younger kids who want to consume all 6 seasons in a week to two but, it's worth the extra pain.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

The Constant is still in my top 10 all time TV episodes.

Agreed here

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.