*** SATURDAY NIGHT *** (movie about the first SNL broadcast)

3,234 Views | 43 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by TCTTS
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So much can and probably will go wrong here, as the difficulty level is off the charts and this cast is... random. But man, if Reitman is somehow able to pull this off it could be special.

With the Vanity Fair first-look today, the first trailer shouldn't be too far behind, while the movie itself hits theaters October 11, which will be 49 years to the day after the first SNL airing (October 11, 1975).

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

The casting is ....well...... wow

This could be epic....good or bad.

I'm highly intrigued.
GreasenUSA
AG
100% day 1 going to see this.

But yeah, a lot riding on this cast being able to pull it off
oragator
Semi off topic, but there's a great book written about the early years of the show called Live From New York. Would recommend.
Txmoe
AG
It's funny how much people rag on SNL but also seem so fascinated by the inner workings of the show. This new movie is giving me some of the same vibes as A Futile and Stupid Gesture with the SNL castings. If you haven't seen AFSG, it's a good look at the life of Doug Kenney, the guy who wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. It's much more about the Harvard Lampoon and National Lampoon magazine but there's a lot of overlap between those and SNL in the early days.
Max Power
AG
oragator said:

Semi off topic, but there's a great book written about the early years of the show called Live From New York. Would recommend.
Great book, I also recommend. They interviewed everyone that was basically ever involved with SNL. If you enjoy that book the same two guys wrote an awesome book about ESPN called Those Guys Have All The Fun which I also enjoyed.
Quad Dog
AG
Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

This new movie is giving me some of the same vibes as A Futile and Stupid Gesture
I was trying to think of the name of that! Yeah, if it has that kind of vibe and doesn't take itself too seriously, it could be a fun movie. If it's like most interviews & podcasts w/ most SNL alums who take themselves very seriously when discussing the history of this grand and magical experiment, then it could be less fun.
TCTTS
AG
YouTube embed + poster.

I have to say, they've at least passed the trailer test. This looks... promising? Good? Maybe even really good?

Saturday Night
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt27657135/
October 11, 2024
Theatrical Exclusive

TCTTS
AG
If anything, I love the make-or-break, ticking clock, underdog vibe. It's such a smart way to come at this.

Also, Gabriel LaBelle is building quite the career for himself...

- Starred in Spielberg's The Fabelman's in 2022, essentially playing Spielberg himself.

- Played a completely different type of character/killed it in Snack Shack earlier this year.

- Is now starring as Lorne Michaels here, in another big awards-play movie.

Pretty damn impressive.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Txmoe said:

It's funny how much people rag on SNL but also seem so fascinated by the inner workings of the show. This new movie is giving me some of the same vibes as A Futile and Stupid Gesture with the SNL castings. If you haven't seen AFSG, it's a good look at the life of Doug Kenney, the guy who wrote Animal House and Caddyshack. It's much more about the Harvard Lampoon and National Lampoon magazine but there's a lot of overlap between those and SNL in the early days.

Yep that was very well done and same kind of vibe here.

Love it.

I agree that while I don't always love the show or even watch (just viral stuff I see now) the live format and personalities have always made it kind of fascinating even when it is terrible.

I first saw it in 1977-78 it's first year although I cannot claim to have seen the debut. But it became very much a "did you see it" talk at school. I was 11-12 then in 6th grade.
EclipseAg
AG
So many people do hilarious Lorne Michaels impressions -- people like Dana Carvey, Rob Lowe, Bill Hader, etc. It's hard to see someone acting as him without that overexaggerated Canadian drawl.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
TCTTS said:

If anything, I love the make-or-break, ticking clock, underdog vibe. It's such a smart way to come at this.

- Starred in Spielberg's The Fabelman's in 2022, essentially playing Spielberg himself.

- Played a completely different type of character/killed it in Snack Shack earlier this year.

Pretty damn impressive.

I saw two ways to do this movie. One is to do a completely bonkers/4th wall breaking/skits/flash forwards/chaos that shows the genius that anything can happen on live tv. That it is controlled chaos.

Or the more straightforward serious telling of what a miracle it is that SNL actually happened and still happens.

I think both ways could work. It looks like they are going to go the second way which ultimately may be the better choice. The trailer definitely hyped me up.
Btron
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty damn impressive.
I'm in!

Gabriel LaBelle is doing some really great roles. After Fabelman's and Snack Shack I'm buying whatever he's selling until not. That dude's got something for sure. I was happy to see him in this trailer.

Also like Cousin Greg and Rachel Sennott.
Quinn
AG
TCTTS said:

Pretty damn impressive.
Man, Snack Shack was so good. I hope people discover it because its really a great film and should become a cult classic.

As for Saturday Night, I'm intrigued. Trailer was really well done and the casting is interesting.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I'm down. I like SNL history, and I love that they made it look like a grainy 70's movie shot on film.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
EclipseAg said:

So many people do hilarious Lorne Michaels impressions -- people like Dana Carvey, Rob Lowe, Bill Hader, etc. It's hard to see someone acting as him without that overexaggerated Canadian drawl.
You left out the most famous use of a Lorne Michaels impression:

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This kind of feels like it could've been a perfect Netflix show. Each season covers different eras.

Would've really liked getting the stories of the terrible late 80's cast that got fired all at once, and the Farley / Myers / Carvey / Sandler era. The tragic deaths of Farley and Hartman in particular would've been ripe for that.
20ag07
I really like Jason Reitman.

This is soooooo Aaron Sorkin though (in a good way). A whole movie based on the 24 hours leading up to the SNL premiere.

It won't do well theatrically. But looks like a great stream watch.
TCTTS
AG

Quad Dog
AG
Cool poster. Reminded me of some of the older hand drawn posters like Animal House and American Graffiti

TCTTS
AG
Spot on.
NE PA Ag
Thanks for noting this one, looks good. As an 11 year old that was up past bedtime and accidentally watched the show a few episodes into the first season and was hooked, I'm looking forward to it.

The mayhem of making that show may have been reduced from what I saw in that trailer, but as another poster said earlier, they could probably make an entire series out of the things that have gone on over the years. My wife was an extra on the show from 2000 to 2005 and she has some stories, especially about the famous after parties.
TCTTS
AG
Oh wow that's awesome. Great era, too.
Heineken-Ashi
Not a modern SNL fan, but this will be a fun watch when it hits streaming.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
Another Doug
AG
Quad Dog said:

Cool poster. Reminded me of some of the older hand drawn posters like Animal House and American Graffiti

Just saw this one too
GoAgs92
AG
When I was a kid in Colorado you got to see SNL twice on Saturday Nights, once live and then reran right after…which I figure was the west coast feed. Always looked forward to the fake commercials, weekend update, and if you were lucky the episode had a Mr, Bill short.
The Porkchop Express
AG
I think I learned more about politics from SNL than any other source, especially school, as a kid. The first episode I ever watched was in 1988 when Carl Weathers hosted and starred in an unbelievably great skit about a Democratic debate. Lovitz was Michael Dukakis, Carvey was Richard Gephardt, Weathers was Jesse Jackson, Al Franken was Paul Simon (the senator), and Dennis Miller was a fantastic Gary Hart right after the thing on the boat.

Was the kind of thing where you were laughing non stop while missing 80% of the jokes, but still knew you were onto something.
Feels so good, feelin' good again.
maroon barchetta
First episode I recall seeing in my childhood.

Jugstore Cowboy
AG

Quote:

That style of art always makes me think of Mad Magazine.

Found this article about a Mad artist named Jack Davis, who also did a lot of TV Guide covers and helped popularize that style: https://tytempletonart.wordpress.com/tag/mad-magazine/

The Animal House poster was done by a National Lampoon illustrator named Rick Meyerowitz, who talks about his connection to Kinney: animal-house
torrid
AG
If I didn't know he was playing George Carlin, I would swear this was one of Matthew Rhys' disguises from "The Americans". Or maybe one of the Geico cavemen. I really wonder about someone Welsh playing such an American icon, but he actually seems pretty good at doing accents.

TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.