Question for Protestants

24,172 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 29 days ago by dermdoc
Yukon Cornelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Reading further Hippolytus also calls Wisdom the mother of Jesus. I've never heard that take before either.

Faithful Ag
Yukon Cornelius said:

I see that. I think that's the case too spiritually. But how does that reality transfer into praying or requesting things from her instead of Jesus. I don't understand the benefit when you have direct access to God?

Doing a quick read of Hippolytus. He calls Jesus tbe Aotc.

Do you see how Mary is included and intertwined in the holiness of Jesus? She is his tabernacle and it was through her union with the Holy Spirit that Jesus was conceived. Nothing unclean can enter heaven, and likewise Jesus would not dwell in an unclean tabernacle or share his perfect blood with sin as he formed in his mother's womb. Genesis tells us complete enmity would be between the woman and the serpent, and between her offspring and his.

Mary is the Ark, Tabernacle, Woman, and our Queen mother who sits on her throne at the right hand of Jesus interceding on behalf of her children.
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

No… it's a pretty big topic. You know that the East has never accepted papal primacy, right?
Was the early Church "one, holy, catholic, and apostolic" in your opinion?

PabloSerna
AG
We named our daughter, Sophia (Greek for wisdom), after Mary Seat of Wisdom.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
But Jesus ate with sinners no? Isn't her virginity symbolic of the Holiness without claiming perfection?

I guess I don't understand 1. The need to claim she never sinned and 2. To pray to her. Which those are the two questions I never see addressed by Catholics.

Was she blessed Yes. Was she Holy in tbe literal sense yes. Was she the tabernacle. Yes. But not the temple. As the church is now the temple. We, the church, the wife of Christ serve as the temple role now. Carrying the Word of God in our hearts
Zobel
AG
Of course the church is one. Oneness doesn't come from having a single titular human leader. It comes from having body, with one head, who is Christ. Wherever the bishop is with the people, there is the Church.
Zobel
AG
Tabernacle and temple are scripturally synonymous - the dwelling place of the Lord.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
True but one made of skin and while in the wilderness. The other made of stone. Jesus is the cornerstone. The church is the new everlasting temple.
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

Of course the church is one. Oneness doesn't come from having a single titular human leader. It comes from having body, with one head, who is Christ. Wherever the bishop is with the people, there is the Church.
So St. Peter was like all the others?
Zobel
AG
That doesn't make Mary not the dwelling place of the Lord. Or us, for that matter. We are also the temple, as the spirit dwells within us. I don't think there is a distinction to be drawn there.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I agree. Which again begs the question why pray to Mary or make requests to her?
Zobel
AG
Even if we say St Peter had some particular charism, it does not follow that it only went to the successor bishops of Rome as opposed to, say the church he also founded in Antioch. And it also does not follow that leadership in and of itself carries with it all of the later suppositions of supremacy that Rome claims.

I can't imagine this is the first time you've encountered the objections of the East (which go back as far as ante-Nicaea).
Zobel
AG
Because the saints in heaven intercede before the throne of God as shown in the scriptures. She, as the queen mother, has that role as well, just as she did when she was on earth.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I must say the more I learn of EO views the more I find myself agreeing with them
Yukon Cornelius
AG
But intercession can occur without requests. Also scripturally what is the benefit to that over just praying to Jesus. Even when Jesus demonstrates prayer it's to the Father only. Unless I'm mistake no apostle teaches or demonstrated any prayer to anyone apart from God
Zobel
AG
The same reason you ask your friend to pray for you. The apostles command us to pray for each other. The saints are not dead, they are alive - Christ says that God is the God of the living - Abraham Isaac and Jacob are alive, as are Moses and Elijah. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective, which implies that the prayer of the unrighteous is not powerful or effective. The prayers of the saints interceding on my behalf are powerful and effective. My poor prayers less so.

"Pray" just means ask. Etymology changes over time and now it has come to mean "say words to deity" but that's not what it originally meant.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I follow the logic. So if you have a prayer request how do you personally go about it?
Zobel
AG
I say morning and evening prayers, and there is place for personal prayers there. There is also an appeal to my patron saint for intercessions, and my guardian angel, and the Theotokos, and the we ask for salvation through the prayers of our holy fathers, and through the angels and archangels. I ask my priest for prayers, and my godfather, and family and friends.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
How does one pray to a guardian angel? Is it in general terms like "dear guardian angel" or is there a name you use?

Genuinely curious, not trying to engage in debate or question you maliciously.
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

Even if we say St Peter had some particular charism, it does not follow that it only went to the successor bishops of Rome as opposed to, say the church he also founded in Antioch. And it also does not follow that leadership in and of itself carries with it all of the later suppositions of supremacy that Rome claims.

I can't imagine this is the first time you've encountered the objections of the East (which go back as far as ante-Nicaea).
Oh, but it does. Not called the Eternal City for nothing. What other churches founded by the first apostles remain?

ETA: no, not my first rodeo with the primacy of Peter. Carry on.
PabloSerna
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

I must say the more I learn of EO views the more I find myself agreeing with them
Which EO? Zobel is Greek EO?

Yukon Cornelius
AG
I guess the Greek? Not completely familiar but I'm finding my own conclusions based on plain scripture reading without pretext is aligning a lot with what I'm reading from I guess Greek Orthodox believe.
Zobel
AG
Antioch. Jerusalem. Alexandria.
Zobel
AG
There are various versions. Here's one:

O Holy Angel that standeth by my wretched soul and my passionate life, forsake not me, a sinner, nor shrink from me because of mine intemperance. Give no place for the cunning demon to master me through the violence of my mortal body, strengthen my poor and feeble hand, and guide me in the way of salvation. Yea, O holy angel of God, guardian and protector of my wretched soul and body, forgive me all wherein I have offended thee all the days of my life; and if I have sinned during the past night, protect me during the present day, and guard me from every temptation of the enemy, that I may not anger God by any sin. And pray to the Lord for me, that He may establish me in His fear, and show me, His servant, to be worthy of His goodness.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I find it incredibly interesting the 7 churches written to in the book of revelation are in turkey. They surround Constantinople which becomes the capital of the Byzantine empire, a nation with Christianity as their official religion. I don't know what to conclude from that but I find it interesting we see a geographical shift away from Jerusalem and Rome.
Zobel
AG
The Eastern Orthodox churches have common dogma and doctrine. We are one church, in communion. There's no difference bin these things between Antioch and Greek or Russian etc.
AggieRain
AG
Yukon Cornelius said:

This is called the "Zobel Effect."
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Again not trying to be argumentative but learn. Why ask forgiveness from the angel? Is it like seeking forgiveness from a person you've offended? I'm assuming that's the case, what offense is against a guardian angel?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
I attribute it to the plain reading of scripture lol. When you dump preconceived ideas and beliefs and just read the Word of God it's amazing what is revealed n
Zobel
AG
Yes exactly, like asking forgiveness from a friend. When you sin, it damages relationships even apart from the people you don't sin directly against, no?
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Undoubtedly so
10andBOUNCE
AG
I'm officially lost again with the latest development of praying to angels.
Zobel
AG
Too much is made of these things. You don't want to ask the Theotokos to intercede for you? Ok. You don't want to ask your guardian angel to intercede for you? Ok. Don't.

These are not barriers to baptism or the Eucharist.

And you don't change your mind on things like this because of the tightness of the intellectual argument. When you join a community and worship with them and live like them, over time you come to know things in a way that is beyond intellectual arguments. And if you never do understand certain things, that is ok. What is important and paramount is being a part of the community - unity of faith.
PabloSerna
AG
Zobel said:

Antioch. Jerusalem. Alexandria.
Did not each of these fall in subsequent Islamic conquests?

Zobel
AG
Wasn't Rome conquered by barbarians? What does that matter? The chain of succession is unbroken.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.