Question for Protestants

24,302 Views | 531 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by dermdoc
The Banned
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Zobel said:

Love this approach by the way -
"You're going to hell"
"That's upsetting"
"Hey man let's not get personal."

Less tongue in cheek. Your church excommunicates me over this, correct? Isn't the sole correction for this repentance? So it's ok for him to tell me to repent in other terms, but it's somehow offensive if I say it?

Maybe I missed something, but it seems like you're doing the AgLiving thing that I'm forming my response to. "Someone called me a heretic" when that person very clearly doing, then jumping to how it must be ok to burn him at the stake.

Did Pablo say you're going to hell? Did I? Did anyone? Again, maybe I missed it.

Both of our churches lifted excommunications on each other back in the 60s. We may not be in full communion, but the official stance is not "all EO's go to hell".
Zobel
AG
Have these been rescinded?

Quote:

First Anathema

Therefore if anyone says that
blessed Peter the apostle was not appointed by Christ the lord as prince of all the apostles and visible head of the whole church militant; or that
it was a primacy of honour only and not one of true and proper jurisdiction that he directly and immediately received from our lord Jesus Christ himself:
let him be anathema.
Second Anathema

if anyone says that
it is not by the institution of Christ the lord himself (that is to say, by divine law) that blessed Peter should have perpetual successors in the primacy over the whole church; or that
the Roman pontiff is not the successor of blessed Peter in this primacy:
let him be anathema.
Third Anathema

if anyone says that
the Roman pontiff has merely an office of supervision and guidance, and
not the full and supreme power of jurisdiction over the whole church, and this
not only in matters of
faith and morals, but also in those which concern the
discipline and government of the church dispersed throughout the whole world; or that
he has only the principal part, but not the absolute fullness, of this supreme power; or that
this power of his is not ordinary and immediate both over all and each of the churches and over all and each of thepastors and faithful:
let him be anathema.
Fourth Anathema

we teach and define as a divinely revealed dogma that when the Roman pontiff speaks EX CATHEDRA, that is, when,
in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians,
in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority,
he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole church,
he possesses, by the divine assistance promised to him in blessed Peter, that infallibility which the divine Redeemer willed his church to enjoy in defining doctrine concerning faith or morals.
Therefore, such definitions of the Roman pontiff are of themselves, and not by the consent of the church, irreformable. So then, should anyone, which God forbid, have the temerity to reject this definition of ours:
let him be anathema.

The going to hell part was tongue in cheek. Sorry thought the emojis covered that.

But unless I'm mistaken officially I am a heretic in this matter as far as you reckon. Correct? No?
Faithful Ag
I don't want to get in the middle of this - and I don't have the time to do my own research today so I'm being kind of lazy and I trust you'll have the answer…

But if I were to join the Orthodox faith wouldn't I have to effectively declare Catholics are heretical over the same issue? Are we really in different boats on this one? Don't get me wrong, I know this is really the heart of the issue that separates the Orthodox and Rome, but what is the difference in the two positions?

TIA
Zobel
AG
I think there is a difference between saying - submit to our leader in these four things or you're anathema - and saying no we don't think those things are true.

The issue of mutual declaration of heresy is over the filioque. But… at the end of the day that one is pretty much an issue because of the papal issue. Shrug.

I honestly didn't want to get into it in this thread anyway. It's been hashed out before, the patristic quotes have been discussed, zero minds changed. Because… at this point (unfortunately) the issue of the papacy has been elevated to divinely revealed dogma and ex cathedra has been piled on top of that. You'd have to undo Vatican I and effectively admit that an RCC-proclaimed ecumenical council can be in error. I see zero chance of that happening.

Protestants can change their minds and adopt Orthodoxy. I don't see how the RCC itself could change this. So…..
The Banned
Zobel said:

I think there is a difference between saying - submit to our leader in these four things or you're anathema - and saying no we don't think those things are true.

The issue of mutual declaration of heresy is over the filioque. But… at the end of the day that one is pretty much an issue because of the papal issue. Shrug.

I honestly didn't want to get into it in this thread anyway. It's been hashed out before, the patristic quotes have been discussed, zero minds changed. Because… at this point (unfortunately) the issue of the papacy has been elevated to divinely revealed dogma and ex cathedra has been piled on top of that. You'd have to undo Vatican I and effectively admit that an RCC-proclaimed ecumenical council can be in error. I see zero chance of that happening.

Protestants can change their minds and adopt Orthodoxy. I don't see how the RCC itself could change this. So…..

I'll do more research, but my understanding is that anathema is these documents saying that you have a false teaching. That is either factually true or it isn't. At least the articles I was able to read quickly suggested the same. Protestants and EO today don't have the same level of culpability as those that did the splitting.

It doesn't not give blanket damnation to all who hold to them. Especially those who have never been Catholic. How else could both the Catholic Church and EO lift excommunications on each other? And I don't see how if I do hold and profess these views I am any less anathema from your perspective. You may not have a document saying that, but in practice?

You're right in saying the Catholic Church can't change its teaching written out, but it doesn't mean this carries canonical penalties or levies out judgement on the soul of all that hold contrary positions.

If you don't mind me asking, were you born EO or did you convert?
PabloSerna
AG
In 1965, Pope Paul VI and Patriarch Athenagoras I of Constantinople lifted mutual excommunications dating from the eleventh century.

+++

Not believing in whole or parts of the dogmas and doctrine of the Roman Catholic Church AND not being a member of said Church means you cannot be excommunicated. Hence my eye roll at Zobel's claim.

On top of that, since 1983 the RCC does not use the term and therefore you are not anathema! Maybe I took it for granted that we all know this.

As was shown in 1965, both leaders of the RCC and EO took the first steps towards unification. It probably will not happen in our time. Pray we can start today.
PabloSerna
AG
Research Catholic Answer's lengthy discourse on this very topic. Anathema is no longer a thing.
Faithful Ag
Okay. I guess I can see the nuance and difference there. I didn't really want to get into it either but figured you could lead me in the right direction. Thanks.

I'll look more into that in the future. Thanks
Zobel
AG
I know it doesn't mean damnation. But out of communion is out of communion, let's just be honest about that. Excommunication is a serious thing.

We are not in communion. You can say "not in full communion" but being a little bit out of communion is like being a little bit pregnant. We don't accept papal supremacy, in the forms of Vatican I or II. That puts us under those anathemas. The anathema definition from a canon law sense has been changed, but the doctrinal / dogmatic statement has not. It is what it is. You can say ok cross out anathema and put "out of c communion" there but it's much the same.

I converted to EO. Antiochian, if it matters.

You didn't answer though. Those anathema statements apply to me, correct?
The Banned
Zobel said:

I know it doesn't mean damnation. But out of communion is out of communion, let's just be honest about that. Excommunication is a serious thing.

We are not in communion. You can say "not in full communion" but being a little bit out of communion is like being a little bit pregnant. We don't accept papal supremacy, in the forms of Vatican I or II. That puts us under those anathemas. The anathema definition from a canon law sense has been changed, but the doctrinal / dogmatic statement has not. It is what it is. You can say ok cross out anathema and put "out of c communion" there but it's much the same.

I converted to EO. Antiochian, if it matters.

You didn't answer though. Those anathema statements apply to me, correct?

If that's your approach, yes they are in effect. And an effect of me agreeing with them means I'm not in communion from your side either, correct? I can't show up and take communion or be considered a member of your church while holding these views, right?
Zobel
AG
I actually don't know the answer to that, being completely honest. I don't think it's a heresy to think the pope is infallible. But really not sure.
PabloSerna
AG
"Excommunication is a serious thing"

Only if you are a baptized Catholic and wish to participate in the sacraments and life of the Church (Roman in my case).

Why is this concept so difficult to understand?

You should realize that the RCC believes that many practicing Jews, Muslims, and people of good will are counted among the people in heaven.

HOWEVER- if you wish to partake in the life of the Church, there are rules. Boggles my mind that this is hard to grasp.
PabloSerna
AG
You are only a heretic if you are corrupting dogmatic teaching AND a teacher of the faith. Read St. Thomas for a more complete definition.

Since you are NOT a teacher of the Catholic faith- like so many others, think of Rev. Graham or the Dali Lama- you are not a heretic.

You are, by professing your faith EO, in schism with the Catholic Church. That is all. End of story.
Zobel
AG
So… my bishop is a heretic but I am not?

Arius was a heretic but his followers weren't?

I'm not familiar with this definition.
AgLiving06
Lets not forget what Rome liked to do to heretics....
10andBOUNCE
AG
PabloSerna said:

You should realize that the RCC believes that many practicing Jews, Muslims, and people of good will are counted among the people in heaven.

Said no verse ever
PabloSerna
AG
Second Vatican Council, Lumen Gentium 16, November 21, 1964

"But the plan of salvation also includes those who acknowledge the Creator, in the first place among whom are the Muslims: these profess to hold the faith of Abraham, and together with us they adore the one, merciful God, mankind's judge on the last day."

The Church recognizes that God's covenant with the Jewish people continues to be valid. Recently, the Commission for Religious Relations with the Jews has even stated, "That the Jews are participants in God's salvation is theologically unquestionable, but how that can be possible without confessing Christ explicitly, is and remains an unfathomable divine mystery" ("The Gifts and the Calling of God are Irrevocable", 36).
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever
Romans 11:26

All Israel shall be saved

And this is also stated in Isaiah 45:17
Isaiah 59:20
Jeremiah 31:1
Jeremiah 31:37
Joel 2:32

God does not forget His chosen people.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
PabloSerna
AG
Our Churches have no jurisdiction over each other's communities.

Heretic, anathema, and excommunication are defined in our Canon Law which is applicable ONLY to the professed, baptize faithful of the Roman Catholic Church.

What you are conflating are events in history with current feelings you have towards the RCC.

The RCC since 1964, has made strides towards reconciliation with many "brethren" to include the EO. You should read some of the documents, it may give you a different perspective.
Zobel
AG
I understand - but that doesn't answer my previous question.
PabloSerna
AG
Regarding your Bishop; unless he is a professed baptized Catholic - then no.

Regarding Arius or any of the early Bishops of the Eastern Churches and their communities; we are separated and therefore Canon Law has not applied since 1054. As I stated earlier, in 1965 both the EO and RCC lifted all excommunications - so I would say that settles it.
Zobel
AG
So your view is that followers of Arius were not heretics? What were they?
PabloSerna
AG
I would say that the Church, then and now, settled the heresy of Arianism.
Zobel
AG
That's not an answer.
Catag94
AG
Call Mary "Holy" if you like. My question is this: What does this do to further God's kingdom and what part does it play in serving the one true God?

It seems to me that Jesus is where our focus should be.
The Marion doctrines of the RCC distract more from the gospel and our one true intercessor, that is Jesus Christ, than they do to further God's glory or kingdom in my view.
10andBOUNCE
AG
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever

A practicing Muslim or Jew is not part of God's chosen people.
PabloSerna
AG
He and they were excommunicated. His teaching was and is considered heretical within the teachings of the Catholic Church. What are you asking beyond that?
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever

What does "all Israel shall be saved" mean to you?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Zobel
AG
His followers weren't heretics though? Only the teachers? And then Arians after Nicea were not heretics or excommunicated, but merely in schism?

I think this framework is kind of unworkable.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever

And how do you know this if you are Reformed/Calvinist? In your theology, only God knows who the elect are, correct?
PabloSerna
AG
Schism is a form of excommunication. They separated themselves when they professed the heresy of Arianism. Seems logical to me.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever

Was Joseph of Arimethea a practicing Jew?

Were the apostles practicing Jews?

Was Christ a practicing Jew?
Zobel
AG

Quote:

Heretic, anathema, and excommunication are defined in our Canon Law which is applicable ONLY to the professed, baptize faithful of the Roman Catholic Church.

Quote:

You are, by professing your faith EO, in schism with the Catholic Church. That is all.

Quote:

Schism is a form of excommunication. They separated themselves when they professed the heresy of Arianism.

So I'm excommunicated, in schism, because of the heresy of not accepting papal supremacy…. Right?
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
Catag94 said:

Call Mary "Holy" if you like. My question is this: What does this do to further God's kingdom and what part does it play in serving the one true God?

It seems to me that Jesus is where our focus should be.
The Marion doctrines of the RCC distract more from the gospel and our one true intercessor, that is Jesus Christ, than they do to further God's glory or kingdom in my view.

Everything the Church teaches and practices when it comes to Mary points to, flows from and is intended to glorify her son.
10andBOUNCE
AG
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

PabloSerna said:

Said no verse ever

Was Joseph of Arimethea a practicing Jew?

Were the apostles practicing Jews?

Was Christ a practicing Jew?

The veil was torn while Christ was on the cross

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.