The character of God

973 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by dermdoc
dermdoc
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This was one of my morning devotionals and I thought it was good.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/31-amazing-verses-that-show-us-gods-character.html
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
FTACo88-FDT24dad
AG
dermdoc said:

This was one of my morning devotionals and I thought it was good.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/31-amazing-verses-that-show-us-gods-character.html

That was great. Thank you for sharing.
Mostly Peaceful
Great list.

"The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love" (Psalm 103:8).

The realization of this is a life changer.
dermdoc
AG
Mostly Peaceful said:

Great list.

"The Lord is merciful and gracious, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love" (Psalm 103:8).

The realization of this is a life changer.
My whole life changed when I realized how much God loves me. And I am His adopted son.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
To the top for Jabin
10andBOUNCE
AG
Shorter Westminster Catechism
Question 4: What is God?

Answer: God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.
dermdoc
AG
10andBOUNCE said:

Answer: God is a Spirit, infinite, eternal, and unchangeable, in his being, wisdom, power, holiness, justice, goodness, and truth.

I prefer actual Scripture over men's writings.

1 John 4:8
He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love.
Bearpitbull
dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Not sure there has to be a choice. We can follow one as our Lord and enjoy the inspirations of our fellow man. If love is as important as quoted, we should both as long as they don't contradict the Word. That quote sure doesn't.
dermdoc
AG
Bearpitbull said:

dermdoc said:

10andBOUNCE said:

Not sure there has to be a choice. We can follow one as our Lord and enjoy the inspirations of our fellow man. If love is as important as quoted, we should both as long as they don't contradict the Word. That quote sure doesn't.
Agree. But when Scripture is so definitive on the character of God, I believe it should be included in any description of that character.

For God is love. Beautiful.
Jabin
dermdoc said:

To the top for Jabin
Thx!

I'd suggest, though, in the context of our previous conversation, that that list, while completely accurate, can never be complete. Everything God has told us about himself is true, but our finite minds can never understand the infinite creator. That includes the infinity of his character.

One possible practical aspect of what I'm saying is the alleged conflicts in God's character, such as how a God that is completely good can allow and sometimes even cause evil. Part of the explanation of that apparent conflict may be our very limited understanding of the situation that we believe to be evil.

Like David, however, it is a very good thing to meditate on God and his character that he has revealed to us.
dermdoc
AG
Jabin said:

dermdoc said:

To the top for Jabin
Thx!

I'd suggest, though, in the context of our previous conversation, that that list, while completely accurate, can never be complete. Everything God has told us about himself is true, but our finite minds can never understand the infinite creator. That includes the infinity of his character.

One possible practical aspect of what I'm saying is the alleged conflicts in God's character, such as how a God that is completely good can allow and sometimes even cause evil. Part of the explanation of that apparent conflict may be our very limited understanding of the situation that we believe to be evil.

Like David, however, it is a very good thing to meditate on God and his character that he has revealed to us.

Agree completely.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.