Mays denial... now what?

4,707 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Gigemchicken90
BoDog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For those of you with kiddos that are hell bent on becoming an Aggie, but did not get into Mays, what are some of the more popular majors to fall back on?

I remember someone several months ago saying there was a major in the School of Ag that was business focused and had a very high job placement rate...?
Another Doug
AG
Agribusiness
https://agecon.tamu.edu/b-s-agribusiness/

Economics
https://liberalarts.tamu.edu/economics/
tamufan
AggieSurveys - Reports (tamu.edu)

You might look at surveys for Ag Bus, for Econ, and for Mays undergrad degrees. These are for graduating students so these are entry level salaries for these students.

You can also look at information on who hired students in the various degree programs. Company name and job title, again for graduating students.
BoDog
AG
tamufan, thank you for posting these links. This is awesome info!
AgGrad99
AG
tamufan said:

You might look at surveys for Ag Bus, for Econ, and for Mays undergrad degrees. These are for graduating students so these are entry level salaries for these students.

You can also look at information on who hired students in the various degree programs. Company name and job title, again for graduating students.

Thank you for that link. Super cool to see since my son is in that college.
JustPanda
AG
Just a heads up, my company and many others won't hire outside of a true business degree.
BoDog
AG
Whay company and/or industry? Feel free to pm me if you wish....
Gigem_94
AG
My son got denied last year (no Blinn, Teams, Galveston, etc) and worked his tail off at TxTech online for 2 semesters and just got accepted 3 days ago into Mays as a transfer student with a 3.85. So don't give up.
Buck Turgidson
tamufan said:

That is really interesting and useful info. I sent that link to my three high school aged kids. I don't recall having that kind of info available when I was trying to figure out what career field I wanted to enter 40+ years ago!
AZAG08
AG
tamufan said:

I remember looking at these when I was in school and going back through previous semesters for my major (econ) and at the time on the 'who hires my major' list there was Texas Rangers - Pitcher. I believe it was Matt Farnum.

I took a screen shot of it and sent it to my dad telling him I figured out what I wanted to do w/ my degree
500,000ags
AG
I'm 10 years out and I still check these reports every year or two. My job was $60k starting 2013, up from $55k in 2011. Now it's $75k.
500,000ags
AG
I'll also add that if I could do it all over again, I would do:
a) 2 years at CC
b) 2 years majoring in something I actually want to study
c) MS degree in business

I studied Finc, so I'd do a MSF. The MS kids apply and recruit right along with undergrads.
Gigemchicken90
AG
Ag Business for sure. They take care of their grads!
'90
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.