Job Network
Sponsored by

Are you a Teacher considering career options?

8,730 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by jbirdag96
78bc3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Are you a Teacher considering other career options?

You are not alone! Former Student Career Services has resources to help you identify and describe your transferable skills and experiences. We will be hosting a webinar/conversation to discuss resources to help Former Students through this process. Thursday Sept 29th at 6pm (CDT). To Register:
https://tamu.zoom.us/meeting/register/tJwvdu-pqD8jHdzCQ-zxlEe7v3d3OYzq_6kO
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AggieTFA06
AG
Former teacher here. I now work in higher education and am enjoying it. Many of the skills I got as a teacher are now being used in higher education.
To 1,000,000 touchdowns ...and beyond
78bc3
AG
No doubt. It is good to hear you are enjoying the work.
We are seeing and hearing from many, too many, teachers indicating they must make a change.
They are asking for help to better understand the search process, identify options, describe transferrable skills and help connecting with their prospective networks.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AggieTFA06
AG
I wish there was a way I could help. I've offered advice to teachers who are burnt out about how I've successfully transitioned to the higher education area. Also, there are other former teachers who are working with me in the higher education area and so I can say other teachers have successfully transitioned like me.
78bc3
AG
Consider posting thoughts on LinkedIn AggieNetwork group
Aggie Network group https://www.linkedin.com/groups/36013/

Texas A&M University Alumni group https://www.linkedin.com/groups/41058/
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
Aggie95
AG
My wife needs out. She's been teaching part time for the last 10 years and went back full time this year as we have a soph in college and a hs sr.
Well, it's been a disastet due to charter school functionality and administration. She wants out after all her time as an educator.
AgLA06
AG
My wife has been talking about doing the same. I'd love to put her in contact with you. What's the best way?
kegstand
AG
I'll make three as well. My wife also looking to get out, even as soon as mid-year. Would love any recommendations or advice.
78bc3
AG
We can set a time to meet by zoom and share resources.
Tenatively plan for Thursday at 6pm .
here is a zoom link to join this discussion (and in case any others want to sit in on the conversation)
https://tamu.zoom.us/j/7032902624
Meeting ID: 703 290 2624
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
kegstand
AG
Great! Thank you! My wife will be there. Is there anything she should have prepared?
78bc3
AG
May want to review our Resource Workbook for Former Students:

http://careercenter.tamu.edu/Documents/Handouts/Answer-Book-for-Former-Students-(2016-revised).aspx
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
jbirdag96
AG
I just transitioned out of the classroom last month. In my 23yrs I have never been in such a toxic, unhealthy, unprofessional environment. I just happened to check this board tonight and will try to be at the ZOOM mtg tomorrow evening at 6pm.
zooguy96
AG
Build a network of friends, family, their friends and family, etc. of people who know you are looking.

Finally transitioning out of the classroom after 8 years.

My wife works for an environmental consulting firm.

It helps that I have that background.

2 years ago, I texted her boss (I take their staff produce from my garden) if she would let me know of any natural resource openings she heard about from other companies.

A month ago, she contacted me out of the blue (I had quit looking for jobs as I had no hope of ever leaving education) about an Environmental Scientist position with their firm. They needed a "jack of all trades", which fits my job experience to a T. I start in 5 weeks (working through Thanksgiving to teach all of the tested material) and got a 40% total compensation raise (pay, bonuses, retirement).

I cannot stress enough that your network is what gets you the job of your dreams.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
78bc3
AG
If for some reason you cannot make the call, please e-mail me at
ppausky78@aggienetwork.com
Texas A&M Former Student Career Services
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AggieTFA06
AG
Sorry for ignoring this thread. I've been staying away from Texags due to the football team, but if there is any way that I can help, please let me know.

I have successfully made the transition from teacher to working in the higher education area. I hope to be able to help others looking to make the transition. 10 years ago, I was in a dark place after leaving the education area but got my life back together and found a stable career in higher education. I hope to help others in my position 10 years ago.

78bc3- thanks. I am on linkedIn and will take a look at the groups you posted and see if there is a way I can help.

AgLA06- Yeah, I would be happy to help. I would propose a private message on texags, but I'm not sure if that is possible since I don't have a subscription. I definitely hope to help you and anyone else who needs help.

zooguy- good post. Glad I could read your story.
Agnlaw
Has anyone attempted to transfer from a miserable campus to another in the same district ? Is the only way out to break a contract?
zooguy96
AG
Agnlaw said:

Has anyone attempted to transfer from a miserable campus to another in the same district ? Is the only way out to break a contract?

I tried to do it 2 years ago and they wouldn't allow me to go to another school in the district. If you try to go to another district when you are on contract, they can block you… at least here in TN. I'd assume it's similar everywhere.

They of course couldn't block me from going to a different field (I start a new job in 3 weeks), as usually, your teacher contract is based on other schools. I guess they technically could block someone, but then good luck getting that person to do any work.

I've seen districts pluck teachers from other districts who are on contract, and the other districts didn't do anything. The only time I've seen districts block someone is if they are trying to go to another school in the same district.
78bc3
AG
Here is a link to a zoom conversation Former Student Services had with Teachers discussing career resources and possible options to consider.
Youtube link for Teacher's conversation
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AggieTFA06
AG
Agnlaw said:

I used to work for Fort Bend ISD. They allowed many to change campuses. Unfortunately, they didn't allow me to do so and I was miserable and so I decided to quit. Fast forward to 5 years later where I felt happier working in higher education.
BMK06
I am also a current teacher of 15 years looking for other opportunities. If you have any advice on the process or know of anyone hiring, it would be greatly appreciated. Email me at boomer.krenek@gmail.com
AggieTFA06
AG
BMK06 said:

I am also a current teacher of 15 years looking for other opportunities. If you have any advice on the process or know of anyone hiring, it would be greatly appreciated. Email me at boomer.krenek@gmail.com
Are you looking for opportunities in the higher education area? If so, myself and my friends could help.
canaAg12
AG
This is a discussion my wife and I are having currently. I have been in education for 10 years. I have worked for both small and large campuses. Currently, I am working in a small district, and I am a coach. I coach High school football, both JV and Varsity, and also help with the JH football teams. I currently coach JH basketball, and help with the high school team, and I am in charge of our offseason strength and conditioning program. In the spring, I am the head baseball coach. I unfortunately am burned out. I have two sons, (2 years old and 1 is 5 months old) , and I hate not being able to see them much. I also have Lupus, and it sometimes is a struggle to take care of myself adequately. Needless to say, I am burned out, and feel like I am not fairly compensated for my time I put in. I have no idea where to start looking outside of the classroom, as every decision I have made had led me to teaching and coaching. I have a Master's in Educational Leadership. I would love a better work-life balance, and be able to spend ample time with my wife and kids.
Agnlaw
I know exactly how you feel, I hope you can find something else soon. I keep setting my sights on making it to Christmas break.
zooguy96
AG
Again, build a network outside of education. Companies are looking for competent people. The job I started today (was teaching last week) was not advertised. My wife's boss knew I had been looking 2 years ago and they needed someone.

Got a 35-40% total comp raise. Day goes faster and much less stressed. Totally worth it. Talk to people at church, friends and family, etc etc.
canaAg12
AG
The hard part for me is the fear of the unknown, and all the wasted hours and money I have put into furthering my education to advance in this career, and on top of that having no clue what else I would do outside of the career I no longer have a passion for.
zooguy96
AG
canaAg12 said:

The hard part for me is the fear of the unknown, and all the wasted hours and money I have put into furthering my education to advance in this career, and on top of that having no clue what else I would do outside of the career I no longer have a passion for.

A job is a job. I found I don't have to have a passion for the job to do well in the job. I had no passion for being a public school teacher, but did well as I focused on helping the students.

Have passions outside of work. It's called work for a reason. If you do find a job that you are passionate about - great. But, IMHO, it's not required. I'm happy to currently work in a good environment for a great employer who values the job skills I have.

That's what I was looking for as a former teacher who wasn't valued. My wife's employer just happened to be looking for someone like me.
BMK06
BMK06
AggieTFA06 said:

BMK06 said:

Are you looking for opportunities in the higher education area? If so, myself and my friends could help.

I would like to chat to see what types of opportunities you or your friends have or can help me with. Email me at boomer.krenek@gmail.com
78bc3
AG
If you are still following this thread and considering a change or know others considering a change Please consider sitting in on our webinar at noon on Dec 5th.
To Register for our First Mondays webinar at Noon CDT tx.ag/FirstMonday
Our Thursday 8:30am Job Club provides opportunities to learn and share resources to help Former Students achieve their unique goals. Please register at tx.ag/AggieJobClub

For additional information please contact Former Student Career Services at fscshelp@tamu.edu
A Short video overview of career and networking resources to help Former Student.
Paul Pausky BC3 '78
AggieTFA06
AG
canaAg12 said:

Have you thought about being a college academic advisor? You use your skills and education from being a teacher to work with college students but with much less stress.

BMK06- One of my friends will be contacting you soon.
Agnlaw
Could you please have someone reach out to me as well at jck765@yahoo.com

Thank you!!
Bonfired
AG
I'll hit my retirement number after next school year and I'm definitely looking to shift gears out of the classroom, but I'm not ready to quit working. I'll try to remember to check in on this thread.
AggieTFA06
AG
Agnlaw said:

Could you please have someone reach out to me as well at jck765@yahoo.com

Thank you!!
One of my friends just sent an e-mail to you.
jbirdag96
AG
Bump
zooguy96
AG
jbirdag96 said:

Bump

Are you still looking? I recently transitioned out of public school teaching.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.