Tua

1,595 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by FamousAgg
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Is he done? hate to see this happening, and don't want to see him turn into a Muhammad Ali situation later in life.
Ags #1
AG
He should retiree but will he is the question
jr15aggie
AG
Yeah, at some point it has to be over. This is now his 3rd or 4th concussion in a 24 month period of time.
justnobody79
just hang it up and enjoy the money you already made, while you are still able to
Ag_07
AG
He has to be done.

There were questions whether he should come back after the 3rd concussion. Now after the 4th I think it's a given.
jr15aggie
AG
At a quick glance he's already made $30 million off his rookie deal and he's already pocketed $40 + million off his new deal.

He's still got ~ $120 million guaranteed remaining on his new contract... no doubt (if he retires) they will have to negotiate with the team and that total will come down.

But I'd say, at a minimum, if he walks away right now he's taking around $120 million in career earnings with him. He 100% needs to be done and go see if anybody wants to pay him to be on TV.
Max Power
AG
Should he retire? Yes
Will he retire? No

Regardless of how much money he's made to date he's got over $100MM in guaranteed money left on his new contract. People don't walk away from that kind of money. It's generational wealth, he can build legacy with that kind of money even if he leaves no legacy from football itself. I actually think that's something that would weigh on anyone in his position that hasn't cemented their legacy. Mahomes could walk away tomorrow and his legacy has already been fulfilled. Tua is a guy who's been doubted consistently even when he's put up numbers. He's honestly in a no-win situation. If he stays people will think it's only about the money. If he leaves people will say he didn't deserve it anyway. I doubt the Dolphins would tell him he's going to sit with that kind of money invested unless the medical test were to say he's going to die or suffer permanent injury the next time he steps on a field.

I personally have a fear of cognitive decline. It would be easy for me to say I'd walk away in his position but even with that fear of mine I would think about how that kind of money would help my family for a long time after I'm gone.
Southlake
His Dad won't let him…
W
AG
I would be shocked if Tua retires

he can or will get paid as the backup QB or 3rd string QB or IR QB
BMX Bandit
if he is not cleared to play medically, he has about 123mm more coming to him. i would guess one could easily fail a cognitive test if so inclined
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cricket
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
I agree that Tua Tagovailoa should retire, but he probably won't.
The Porkchop Express
AG
He said he thought about it after the last one before this, so I wouldn't take it off the table. He never has been 100% since the hip injury at Alabama. If Andrew Luck can walk away at the top of his game, anybody can.

This was Luck's statement in 2019. It sounds like Tua is going through the exact same thing.

"I've been stuck in this process. I haven't been able to live the life I want to live. It's taken the joy out of this game. The only way forward for me is to remove myself from football. This is not an easy decision. It's the hardest decision of my life. But it is the right decision for me."
W
AG
apparently the Dolphins GM said jiu-jitsu (what?) would prevent future concussions...after handing out the big contract
ac04
TyHolden
AG
The Porkchop Express
AG
2 former NFL QBs are idiots. Brady is now being paid $37.5 million a year to talk on TV for 3 hours a week.

He "only" averaged $14.7 million per year playing bll.
vwbug
Does he decide everything he does? Tua's a grown man. Dad shouldn't have much say I would think
FightinTAC08
AG
He's done. Still can't believe he voluntarily went in head first on that play
AgsMyDude
AG
TyHolden said:

No chance.

Isn't he part owners of the Raiders?
W
AG
different culture...
mts6175
AG
Read yesterday that his money owed goes up significantly if the Dolphins force him to retire vs. he retiring. I would imagine it's a game of chicken now. Either way, he's done.
Iowaggie
AG
I don't think it is about money for some of these guys. They love the sport, they love what playing football brings, including fans, attention, and competition. To get to this elite level, they've had to have some passion for playing the sport.

If he's cleared medically, I think he plays again (although I just dropped him from my team).

EliteZags
AG
McDaniel reached out but hasn't heard back from him yet

https://instagr.am/p/C9QohsFAuzZ
Iowaggie
AG
I'm a little surprised and disappointed to not see any Colin Kaepernick to the Dolphins stories.

I will truly feel old when a season goes by and I don't see a Kaepernick workout video or story.

Kaepernick stories will have gone the way of the Soviet Union, forearm pads on o-linemen, or Jimmy the Greek.
FamousAgg
TB12 to the dolphins
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.