iPhone 16

5,495 Views | 99 Replies | Last: 4 min ago by Jason_Roofer
20ag07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That was NOT a good rollout.

I trade my phone out every year, but yikes.

This one has me going from the Pro, which I've had since it existed, back to a regular.
WoMD
I have an 11 pro that's on its last legs (****ing auto update and dying battery finishing it off), so I have to update now instead of waiting. I was hoping to make it another year to get the next gen, since this one didnt impress me much, but at least waiting 5 years before replacements makes even minor yearly updates after this long seem huge.

What's the biggest differences between the pro and regular to where you don't see it as being worth it?
AggieFrog
AG
5X zoom and better battery life are the biggest differences.
WoMD
And as an aside, we are clearly polar opposites. I hate the idea of replacing a phone every year, so 5 years is about my average. It feels like getting a new car every 1-2 years (hello lease), and huge waste. If I have to get a new car more often than every 6-7 years then I something was wrong with the previous car. I just can't justify it.

But to each his own, I guess. Going that route I can absolutely see how an incremental evolution would seem to not be worth upgrading so often, but every 5 years and it's a huge jump forward. I just can't justify a yearly replacement, especially since it doesnt seem like there are many huge improvements from one to the next, but more of a steady and regular improvement along the way.
WoMD
AggieFrog said:

5X zoom and better battery life are the biggest differences.

If you don't keep your phone long enough to where battery life changes become noticeable, then that's insignificant. For the rest of us, that's an investment. Down the line, when it drops 10-15%, then starting with a better battery makes a huge difference.
20ag07
For $25 a month on something I spend WAY too much using, I'll lease the thing.

Not gonna just use a POS with a battery that dies way too quickly just to prove a point and save $25/month.

But I just bought my 9th car at 39yo, and can't bring myself to lease one.
WoMD
20ag07 said:

For $25 a month on something I spend WAY too much using, I'll lease the thing.

Not gonna just use a POS with a battery that dies way too quickly just to prove a point and save $25/month.

But I just bought my 9th car at 39yo, and can't bring myself to lease one.

Curious as to what point there is to prove. The battery only started turning to **** the last 6 months or so, and really got impacted after the most recent update. So for 4+ years it worked great, giving no legitimate reason to spend money to get a new one. I just don't feel comfortable constantly spending money updating something that is still working fine, and very close to the next gen offering. Especially when each year the phones really only have few dramatic improvements, if any. Same with cars. I could afford to update a bmw every year, but there's a reason I could afford that, which is because I didn't do that when I was building wealth...

But to each his own.
AggieFrog
AG
My 15 Pro Max is already down to 90% battery capacity after one year.
YouBet
AG
Still rocking my XR which is now pushing 7 years old with 83% battery life.

However, it won't take iOS 18 apparently so I've been planning to upgrade to the 16.

For those unaware, if you care about the new AI software, which will be beta and half-assed at launch with the 16, you won't be able to use it unless you at least have a 15.

I don't care about AI but I'm sure most do.
WoMD
AggieFrog said:

My 15 Pro Max is already down to 90% battery capacity after one year.

Seriously??? How the hell...?

Do you plug it in multiple times a day? That burns a cycle each time and decreases battery life dramatically if you do it every day. Until recently, when I didn't have a choice, I made an effort to only plug it in at night, or if on a long drive.

I just checked, and my 5 year old 11 pro is at 81%. I guess it's not as bad as it seems considering...
AggieFrog
AG
Usually just the wireless charger every night (cycle count is 276). But I generally just upgrade every year - it's by far my most used device aside from my work laptop, so I don't mind splurging for the camera upgrades and better battery each year. Will probably move from the Pro Max to the smaller Pro given the better battery on it this year.
20ag07
You just probably don't use your phone too much. Which, good for you, I wish I used mine less. (And you didn't build wealth by saving $25/month).

That wasn't the point of the thread.

What was is that this was not a neither a good presentation or release.

And plenty of people who have built wealth by investing in Apple are about to say woof.
YouBet
AG
I think some models are better than others. Buddy and wife both had 11s and they were a POS. All kinds of issues. My wife had to get rid of hers and get the 14 Pro when it came out because the 11 just stopped working.

I think the XR was the best phone they ever made pound for pound but that is totally anecdotal. it's easily the best phone I've ever owned.
YouBet
AG
20ag07 said:

You just probably don't use your phone too much. Which, good for you, I wish I used mine less. (And you didn't build wealth by saving $25/month).

And plenty of people who have built wealth by investing in Apple are about to say woof.

However, anyone that doesn't have at least the 15 won't be able to use their AI so there is your automatic revenue injection. How many people don't have at least a 15 that will want that? Most of their user base? I have no idea.

But that's what they are banking on.
20ag07
I definitely don't wear a tin foil hat.

But.

My 15 Pro is sitting on 88% battery capacity. When it was on 99% over the weekend.
YouBet
AG
20ag07 said:

I definitely don't wear a tin foil hat.

But.

My 15 Pro is sitting on 88% battery capacity. When it was on 99% over the weekend.

I think we are talking two different things here. AggieFrog above was talking about Maximum Battery Capacity as was I. I think you are taking battery life on your current charge.
WoMD
20ag07 said:

I agree. Im not terribly impressed, but as established, these features aren't driving factors for me. I just need a new phone now, and can't wait another year unfortunately. I have enough fancy new gadgets and cars (because I didn't buy everything I wanted along the way), so I shift my priorities elsewhere when it comes to spending money, but I have no choice but to upgrade this cycle.

And apple stock has done me good too, up a few hundred grand, but aint touching that til retirement, if ever.

As an aside, not anything to do with this conversation, just something that stuck with me...but I had an employee (who was in her 40s, well older than I was) who would buy the newest apple devices every year. She had no business doing this, as she was always asking for advances to pay for her credit card debts and other ***** Giving raises meant spending it on stuff she didn't need...even though she deserved them, and I always gave them, it was tough knowing she would never save a dime of it. I think she learned alot from me in terms of how to go from nothing to a net worth of a few million before mid 30s, and a lot of that had to do with not spending money on all the latest and greatest. I also learned a lot from her in terms of just how wasteful so many people are who had no business spending ridiculous amounts on things they couldn't afford. If she cut out that stuff (and everyone knows that $25 a month on one item is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to frivolous spending, as it adds up quickly; cars are the biggest in this category when it comes to significant impact on savings potential, as well as eating out), she wouldn't have so much trouble with her financial situation. It definitely was eye opening, although incredibly frustrating, for me. Good person, but man, so wasteful. I think those situation are why certain things like this bother me so much. People I legitimately care about who struggle because of needing to keep up with joneses. Not saying that's you, as I don't know your situation, but we all have our priorities in life. No judgements here, I just honestly don't understand.
YouBet
AG
I'm with you. Leasing cars is brain dead stupid from a financial perspective. Phones less so, but still dumb assuming Apple/Google don't obsolescence you on purpose at frequent intervals. Until AI hit, it's been pretty dumb to lease phones since the XR or so because the hardware form factor has achieved its apex. Nothing else to do there.

That's why I've had my phone for as long as I have. There have been no real physical changes since the XR other than gimmickry going from 1 blade to 5 blades on the camera and whatever that virtual button is at the top of the screen.
20ag07
The great news, since you don't need the latest and greatest, is that you can get a pretty fantastic deal on an iPhone 15.
Post removed:
by user
20ag07
Quote:

I think we are talking two different things here. AggieFrog above was talking about Maximum Battery Capacity as was I. I think you are taking battery life on your current charge.
No, I was certainly talking about battery capacity.

Like I said, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But it's not unknown that right when a new model is released, performance on your phone magically seems to get worse.

There's no way my year old iPhone lost over 10% of it's battery capacity in a week.
YouBet
AG
20ag07 said:

Quote:

No, I was certainly talking about battery capacity.

Like I said, I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But it's not unknown that right when a new model is released, performance on your phone magically seems to get worse.

There's no way my year old iPhone lost over 10% of it's battery capacity in a week.

I don't dispute the degradation when new models are released. Never seen a phone lose 11% capacity in just a couple of days, but I have zero context on that also. My phone has been in the 80s for a few years but that's because it's ancient by mobile phone standards.
McNasty
AG
20ag07 said:

The great news, since you don't need the latest and greatest, is that you can get a pretty fantastic deal on an iPhone 15.

This
Brock Sampson
AG
I've been waiting for these to come out so I can get a 15 pro. Hope I see a good sale soon.

Fyi I have an 8+. Battery is at 74% capacity. This has been the best phone I've ever owned. Still has a button!
AggieFrog
AG
Only issue with the 15 Pros are the battery life long term and some thermal issues (mine tends to get really hot at times). The 16 Pro supposedly addresses some of the thermal issues.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Odd, just checked and I'm still at 100% maximum capacity for my battery life on my 15 pro Max. 148 charge cycles.
tfunk02
AG
20ag07 said:

That was NOT a good rollout.

I trade my phone out every year, but yikes.

This one has me going from the Pro, which I've had since it existed, back to a regular.
Regualr is 60Hz. I'd much rather have a 15 Pro than anything at 60Hz.
tfunk02
AG
My 13 Pro Max is sitting at 88% health almost always slow charged by MagSafe. Only reason I plan to upgrade is I think I screwed up my microphone trying to clean it out. I'm always getting complaints about my mic.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Brock Sampson said:

I've been waiting for these to come out so I can get a 15 pro. Hope I see a good sale soon.

Fyi I have an 8+. Battery is at 74% capacity. This has been the best phone I've ever owned. Still has a button!
Got the 8 here too. Battery also at 74% cap. Love the button.
Charpie
AG
My 15 pro max is at 91 percent battery as well. I use it a ton for work. But I buy my phone outright then trade it in, so I'm paying $500 for a new phone. For me, it's all about the new camera
YouBet
AG
My phone doesn't show cycle count. Interesting.
Redstone
AG
I have an SE
91AggieLawyer
AG
YouBet said:

However, it won't take iOS 18 apparently so I've been planning to upgrade to the 16.

For those unaware, if you care about the new AI software, which will be beta and half-assed at launch with the 16, you won't be able to use it unless you at least have a 15.

18 will work on the XR. Don't know how well but it is on the list.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-18/
YouBet
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

YouBet said:

18 will work on the XR. Don't know how well but it is on the list.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-18/

Well that has changed then. Good to know. Still probably due for a new one though.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.