Playstation 5 Pro - $699

2,981 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by hph6203
AggiEE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jr15aggie said:

I would agree that the digital medium is making it easier, not harder, to find and own older games.

This is especially true with movies.

I think my only concern is the platform. If "Xbox" goes away I could lose a massive chunk of digital games. And as for my movie collection, if Vudu (Fandango) / Movies Anywhere go bankrupt I'll lose most of my modern collection.

Don't see Xbox going away

I think they just become more open and more niche / expensive. Basically a PC that can play your Xbox games or Steam games

They won't abandon their legacy players, but they won't be aiming to get the most console sales and eat losses
hph6203
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Pretty sure all of those games are still available if not purchasable on several storefronts, including Steam. They are no longer available/searchable on Steam, because remastered versions were released. Meaning that people that previously purchased them can still access the games as a download, but new consumers are directed towards to remastered editions rather than the more than decade old editions.

I know it's the case for Ghostbusters (I own the original version, still downloadable), EA's press release confirmed Bad Company 2 would remain available as a digital download for offline play, quick google search shows people are still downloading and playing the original Prey on their Steam Decks despite no store page existing.

In other words the exact same situation you'd be in if you bought them physically or if you bought them digitally except the digital purchaser doesn't have to worry about damaging their disc, or their disc degrading due to disk rot.

The follow up question to your statement is when was the last time you played, and beat, any of those games? For the majority of people the answer is "not since I bought it."

I also didn't say it never happens, but rather the likelihood of your disc failing is roughly as likely as a distributor of the games taking access away from you, especially in the modern era where Xbox, Playstation and Steam are seemingly going to stick to a consistent architecture and it appears that Nintendo is headed in the same direction. The expected useful life of a Bluray disc is as low as 15 years FYI.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.