Outdoors
Sponsored by

Run N Gun

22,744 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 9 hrs ago by FamousAgg
tk111
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BenderRodriguez shared his experience with this here (https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/3280494) and I was hooked immediately. Tickets for the RWR event in Breckenridge TX on Jan 14-15 just went on sale about 20 minutes ago and I think these generally sell out fast.

I snagged a 10-12am spot and I'm stoked. Hopefully it isn't balls cold.

https://www.oedefense.com/event-details/RWR2023
Aggietaco
AG
Looking forward to the recap, I'll run one of these things one day.

Their description of Breckenridge being at the Western edge of the Hill Country is... suspect, being about 150 miles of the Northern edge of the Hill Country.
tk111
AG
Aggietaco said:

Their description of Breckenridge being at the Western edge of the Hill Country is... suspect, being about 150 miles of the Northern edge of the Hill Country.
heh thought that was odd as well - I didn't know where Breckenridge was until I mapped it and was like...wut?
O.G.
Got my rifle and optics set up to start this as well. Pistol ( that I will race with) is still in TX though.

Cant wait to start.
Wycliffe
Can someone post the details of the race/event? How far the run is etc? I cant see the details on the site.
AggieMPH2005
Looks fun as hell. If I did this it'd be with my 10+ pound Mock 12. How bad of an idea would that be?
tk111
AG
Wycliffe said:

Can someone post the details of the race/event? How far the run is etc? I cant see the details on the site.

Rifle + Pistol + Run/jog/hike. Everything you need for the whole race is carried on your person - ammo, water etc.

They sowed a bit of confusion with the series /rivals thing. This group (Old Eighteen Defense) has created 2 flavors which they have dubbed either a "series" or "rivals" event.

Series is ~10k + 7 shooting stages throughout. About 50 rounds (*hits) each of rifle and pistol. These are on Sat.
Rivals is ~5k + 5 stages. About 40 rounds each. These are on Sun.

Can do one or both of series/rivals
TresPuertas
AG
I'm running the same day/stage as you as well as another Ag buddy of mine. I'll find a way to get in touch when it gets closer. Can't wait!
tk111
AG
I say *hits above - you will need to carry 2-3x as much ammo as the shot count unless you're mark whalburg.

The series and rivals events scores get tallied up separately over the course of the season if you're able to go to more of these.

tk111
AG
TresPuertas said:

I'm running the same day/stage as you as well as another Ag buddy of mine. I'll find a way to get in touch when it gets closer. Can't wait!
Awesome!
BenderRodriguez
AG
Outstanding!

Glad to see so many of yall jumping in.

UTExan
Aggietaco said:

The Palo Pinto Mtns are just southeast of Stephens County. So southern Stephens, Palo Pinto, Eastland County, Comanche County, Mills County and Erath County are part of a contiguous rolling hill country, perhaps not identified with the traditional Texas Hill Country of Fredericksburg and Kerville to the south.
It is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness- Sir Terence Pratchett
“ III stooges si viveret et nos omnes ad quos etiam probabile est mittent custard pies”
Wycliffe
Well I'm in for the Saturday 10-12. This will help motivate my post knee reconstruction surgery re-conditioning that's for sure! I've far too long postponed getting back to where I was.
jrb2019
AG
Sounds like too much fun. I signed up for Sunday 10 - 12.
drummer0415
AG
My goal is to do at least one of these in 2023.
M-Neezy
AG
I'm in block 1 Saturday with my Cola Warrior buddy a few of you met back at CWTX. Should be a good time! I'll be the guy wearing either Peeps or Aggie gear sucking wind and talking about how it would have been easier if I had to chug.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Grinning ear to ear that so many of yall are getting involved.

I wont be at RWR in January because I'll be out of state, but I will be doing both Friday and Saturday at the Pawnee night R&G in October and planning on trying to make the Venado event to try my hand at bolt gun in May.
JoeAggie1010
What's the typical price range for these events?
agsalaska
AG
Good luck fellas.

Look forward to reading y'all's reports.
TresPuertas
AG
JoeAggie1010 said:

What's the typical price range for these events?

$150
Wycliffe
How much does everyone's gear end up weighing in at approximately? 20-25 pounds?

cuz-i-can
AG
I would puke all over my teammates if I tried it...
BurnetAggie99
Cool event. Would like to get some of my former 0326 Marine teammates together and we go do one of these.
JoeAggie1010
Thanks. I'm going to start preparing for the event in March 23.
BenderRodriguez
AG
JoeAggie1010 said:

Whats your training plan?
JoeAggie1010
BenderRodriguez said:

JoeAggie1010 said:

Whats your training plan?
I'm going to start hitting the pavement and gym. Ultimately be able to carry the prescribed weight for 5k. On the shooting side, I'm going to alternate range time with my pistol and rifle. Since I haven't shot at 500m in a long time, get comfortable with distance, then work my self back to the short range targets. Same goes for pistol.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Sounds solid.

Thats the great part of this kind of event, it tends to help you work hard to get better at everything.
JoeAggie1010
This event provides motivation for me. Since retiring, I've slacked in the physical fitness realm. With these events, there's a great opportunity to get fit. All the while being able to increase my performance in something I enjoy.
FamousAgg
I'm signed up for Rivals Block 2 (Sunday 10-12)

Never shot at 500 yards. Anyone recommend a place near BCS?
BenderRodriguez
AG
Thats what I use them for too.

Would rather sit on the couch tonight but jumping on the rower and getting the heart rate up instead so I don't suck wind too hard at my next race.
FamousAgg
So now that I'm signed up I'm actually reading the rules. I have some shopping to do… don't tell the wife

Anyone have a 40mm guy?
BurnetAggie99
BattleGrackle said:

So now that I'm signed up I'm actually reading the rules. I have some shopping to do… don't tell the wife

Anyone have a 40mm guy?

I know Big Daddy Ordnance grenade launchers, barrels, and 40mm rounds to private citizens.
JoeAggie1010
BattleGrackle said:

Anyone have a 40mm guy?

I was looking at the event website pics, and notice a setup with a 40mm launcher. I was puzzled and thought "what an idiot." I guess that person wasn't so dumb after all!
FamousAgg
I'm figuring on 4 standard capacity AR mags and 5 Glock mags, with one in the weapon.

Would you recommend a gun belt or a plate carrier? I mean I could go with a backpack, but that's not nearly as cool. I'm a large guy 40" waist, so I'm guessing I have enough real estate on my waist, but I'm not sure. And I'll need a decent gun belt already just for the pistol.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'm assuming you meant chest rig and not an actual plate carrier?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.