Outdoors
Sponsored by

Run N Gun

22,760 Views | 161 Replies | Last: 11 hrs ago by FamousAgg
FamousAgg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I honestly don't know the real difference. If i took the plates out of the carrier is that much different than a chest rig?
TresPuertas
AG
wouldn't wear a belt. you'd be sagging the whole run. I like distributing the weight across my chest, so I opted for the chest rig. Do whats comfortable, but remember, you're going a long way, and the easier you can make it for yourself, the better.
BenderRodriguez
AG
IMO, yes. Plate carriers are designed to have plates in them. They would be really floppy/not hold mags well without something in there.

A chest rig is going to have adjustment to tighten it up to your body. Stuff bouncing around a lot while running miles is not fun.

Last time I used a belt with holstered pistol, a few mags on the belt, and rest of gear on a chest rig usually. That seems to be what the vast majority of competitors run as well.

This was my gear set up for my race:

Pinche Guero
AG
Thought this was about the fishing guides out of matagorda, was expecting to see some big trout pics
O.G.
So, on the training side of it, I was already training for a full 26.2 mile marathon later this year and another 1/2 marathon about 6 weeks after that.

Additionally, I have been in the weight room with an emphasis on lower body and back muscle groups. So, squats. farmer carries sled pulls (forwards and backwards) etc etc. I do upper body as well but I do a lot more legs than "regular" people in the gym. Talk to a legit trainer before you start trying to crush the weight pile though.

I also have been doing Jiu Jitsu, which has nothing to do with this at all, I just love telling people about Jiu Jitsu...Its a lot like Vegans, Marathoners, Aggies and Creedmore shooters......we like to talk about it a lot.......I keed I keed.......

In any event, it appears that Bender has the equipment questions locked down. However, if anyone has any running questions, please do not hesitate to reach out. This will be my 10th full marathon and I have a gazillion training miles under my belt and I love talking about running.....and Jiu Jitsu, did I mention that I did Jiu Jitsu? ....

Seriously though, shoes, under wear (totally serious, not kidding), socks etc all can come into play and no two people are alike, so please avoid buying at Big Box stores if you haven't bought legit running shoes before, or if its been a while.

-A woman's love is wasted when she loves a running gun.- Marty Robbins.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Hope yall have been putting in the work!

SMM48
AG
lightweight gun belt. ferro concepts bison belt.
SMM48
AG
now thats a hill I'd like to ride the mongoose down on.
FamousAgg
I'm starting to get my gear and fitness together for this run in January.

I bought this chest rig, it gives me 4 at mags and 4 pistol mags. https://gadsdendynamics.com/minimalist-assault-chest-rig/

I bought a new holster since I didn't have anything with retention. Not wanting to spend $150+ on a custom holster I came upon the Blackhawk omnivore. I already had a TLR-1 so this holster will lock onto the light not the pistol itself. I figured it gave me some flexibility to run different guns if needed.

Still need a gun belt, and that's where I'm stuck right now. I'm torn between a real "battle belt" with the inner padded layer and molle on the outside, or just a stiff belt that I can loop the holster through. Been looking at this battle belt that's 50% off right now. https://greyghostgear.com/ugf-battle-belt-with-padded-inner/

I'm thinking I need at least 2 additional pistol mags to what the chest rig can hold.

I'm debating if I want a camelback, I would think I could make it 3 miles in January without a hydration pack.

I'll be using
16" AR with a Burris RT-6 1-6 LPVO
Glock 17 with a PA SLx RS-10 red dot and a TLR-1
FamousAgg
Bender, what belt is that?
JoeAggie1010
Bender,

I would recommend the Camelback. You will expend plenty of energy, regardless of weather temp. Water weighs 8 pounds per gallon also.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BattleGrackle said:

Bender, what belt is that?
I'm using the ferro bison belt right now.

Glad to see yall still training, testing out gear, etc.

Shot a drill yesterday testing out for the monthly drill thread that I think would serve run and gun training well, I'll post it up in a bit.
BenderRodriguez
AG
A drill I tried for the first time this week was the TRex arms 50 round course of fire.

Seemed to incorporate a lot of useful stuff for R&G (movement, transitions, etc).

Here's the set up/description:

Ran it twice, once with an AK and once with a newer AR build I'm still in the process of shaking out.

Total AK run time: 50.10 seconds
Total AR run time: 56.77 seconds

I ran it with the AK first. Totaling up the scores for that run reminded me of the hard truth of shooting competitions: you can shoot fast all you want, but misses and deltas really hurt. Heck, charlies hurt too on this drill. You should shoot fast. You need to. But you better make darn sure you're making the hits you need with those fast shots.

The AK run had 23 A zone hits, 14 Cs, 10 Ds and 3 misses. Only 129 points out of a possible 250 and a really bad hit factor of 2.53.

So I worked really hard on getting better hits with the AR run. (I'm most proud of the 2A to the 3x5 headbox from 25 meters on the last shots of the headbox/sprint/headbox portion of the COF). 39 As, 8 Cs, 2 Ds, 1 mike. 209 points out of 250, hit factor of 3.68 (miles ahead of my AK run and only 6 seconds slower). In competition, a HF fully a point higher will more than make up for a COF being a few seconds slower.

Still always fighting to find the balance between speed and accuracy, especially with rifle since I don't put nearly enough time into shooting long guns. Just like run and gun in general is a combo of your ability to move and your ability to shoot, your shooting score will depend heavily on your ability to shoot accurately...as fast as possible.

Enjoy seeing the progress/work yall are putting in, helps motivate me to get off my butt and do some work. Especially since I have a night time R&G coming up next month.

JoeAggie1010
I completed signup for the Mar 13th Run n Gun in Cherokee, Tx! Me and my son will be going through together, and I am super excited. Signup nearly sold out within an hour, with only a few tickets remaining. Thanks Bender for sharing with us.
AgCMT
BenderRodriguez
AG
JoeAggie1010 said:

I completed signup for the Mar 13th Run n Gun in Cherokee, Tx! Me and my son will be going through together, and I am super excited. Signup nearly sold out within an hour, with only a few tickets remaining. Thanks Bender for sharing with us.

Outstanding!

I signed up for that one too, but I'm doing the shorter Sunday run (start time 10-12).

Glad to see more folks jumping in, even if it does make it harder to sign up before it sells out.
JoeAggie1010
So funny story...no sh*t, there I was, stuck between a copier and suffering death through a thousand paper cuts. I'm trying to get internet, and I'm an hour and a half late for opening registration when I finally get a connection. So, I get on the website and the initial buy tickets link says "sold out." Now I'm angry as a wet hen, stewing for a few moments, then think, hey, refresh the page. Low and behold, slots are available! So now, I look at the slots and select 2 tickets. I'm as happy as a pig in mud, I got my tickets.

Now, I start reading some of the competition basics, which I had read and subsequently forgot. As I'm reading, the basics remind me of the rival and series challenges. So I go look at my tickets, and wouldn't you know it, what I was planning on doing, versus what I signed up for were two different challenges. Apparently in my subconscious mind, I wanted to actually sign up for the ~6.5, instead of the break in mode of ~3.5.

Anywho, I'm doing the rivals and going to train to my best and enjoy in the end!
BenderRodriguez
AG
My first one was the long version (series) event too.

It was supposed to be a 10k but was actually over 8 miles with plenty of elevation change.

Hydrate before the event and bring plenty of water on your person. You're going to have a blast.
FamousAgg
Thread bump.

I've been starting to work on fitness. Running some trails. Been running about 1/2 mile then walking for maybe 2 minutes. Been doing 3-4 miles total. Im doing some of this with a ruck sack and some without. Haven't started running in my full gear due to not wanting to run down the road in my chest rig, belt and rifle. Anyone have any tips?

I'm planning on trying to get some friends with land to let me jog around their place in gear so I don't get the cops called on me.
maroon barchetta
Find out when the Rudders Rangers on campus are doing their rucks and runs and stuff and go with them.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Imo, you need to run weighted down in full kit once. Identify hotspots, things to adjust, anything that might fall out, etc.

Also some dryfire work on getting gun from running slung position to ready to show clear, load and shoot a stage.

Beyond that, regular cardio is great. No need to blow up your knees running loaded down all the time.
FamousAgg
Question for those who have competed before. The website says 5k with 5 shooting stages. That's how I came up with the 1/2mile runs. Is this actually how it's set up or should I expect running it all at one time?
jrb2019
AG
Thought I'd offer this up to those going to one of these competitions next year. I've got a small range and a variety of trails to run. Good way to test out your gear and do some shooting. My range only goes to 100yds but should be a good test run. I'm doing the RWR 5k in January…first time for me doing this type of event.

If you'd like to come out, I'm available most week days, Sunday afternoons, but Saturdays often get filled. If interested let me know and I'm sure we can figure something out.

I'm in northern Coryell County between Clifton and Gatesville.

My calendar appears to be clear on Saturday 17 December.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Super generous offer of you! Good bull.

Just south of you in Bell county and may have to take you up on it sometime.

Stuff like this reminds me why I keep posting here.
tk111
AG
jrb2019 said:

Thought I'd offer this up to those going to one of these competitions next year. I've got a small range and a variety of trails to run. Good way to test out your gear and do some shooting. My range only goes to 100yds but should be a good test run. I'm doing the RWR 5k in January…first time for me doing this type of event.

If you'd like to come out, I'm available most week days, Sunday afternoons, but Saturdays often get filled. If interested let me know and I'm sure we can figure something out.

I'm in northern Coryell County between Clifton and Gatesville.

My calendar appears to be clear on Saturday 17 December.
Damn you're not far from my place! I'm off the southwest side of Gatesville.

I ran around in full loadout for just the second time last weekend in the rocky mud and it was rough. Holding the rifle while running for an extended time is still the most awkward for me. I sort of cradle it in my elbow which works pretty well and feels like a natural arm motion but I get some rubbing. Might try over the shoulder like a saw a dude doing in a video OED recently released.

It's a smaller place (~30 acres) and the running path I carved out is about half a mile long. It's got wicked elevation change though in that half mile. About 100 ft down and 100' back up on rocky rooty nastiness along the Leon river.

Had 4 rifle mags and 6 (21 rnd) pistol mags which is what Im leaning towards using for the January OED run (Im doing the longer one). Amazing how much lighter it gets as you burn through ammo...

Also got velocity measurements on my 13.7 with Winchester m193...good lord is that stuff wacky. Ranged from around 2800-3000 fps (with an avg & median at 2900) and I was also getting some groups that were ~2 moa and others that were like 3.5+...That concerns me as well. I dont really want to load up with $200 of match ammo but I also want to actually be able to hit those longer targets - gonna end up chasing shots around in a massive error window.
Smeghead4761
maroon barchetta said:

Find out when the Rudders Rangers on campus are doing their rucks and runs and stuff and go with them.
Not sure how old BattleGrackle is, but I sure as heck can't keep up with those kids...I'm not sure I could have when I was their age.

Something I thought about doing, to simulate running with a rifle: get about a 2.5-3 foot length of 1.5" PVC pipe, fill it with sand and glue end caps on. Figure out a way to attach a sling (550 cord and 100 mph tape, probably) and away you go.

jrb2019
AG
My place isn't much bigger. Sounds like we have similar trails. I can also go on my neighbor's and he's got a miserable hill to run.

I'm running rifle slung on my back. Keeps my hands free and much more comfortable to run IMO.
AgCMT
AG
I've finally got my gun situation taken care of. I probably spent way too much. I'm starting to work on getting my belt and deuce gear. I was rucking 4-5 miles a day since May, but stopped at Thanksgiving and need to get back out.

Living in Ft Worth I'm limited to the ranges near by for shooting. It's been fun though and appreciate stumbling into Bender's threads. If anything else, it's been a great excuse to buy some new guns!
BenderRodriguez
AG
jrb2019 said:

I'm running rifle slung on my back. Keeps my hands free and much more comfortable to run IMO.

Same.

Key for me is adjustable sling and ability to mount it as close to muzzle and end of stock as possible.

QD points at the endplate or near the barrel nut are fine for other stuff but if actually running, having the sling as far out on the gun as possible minimizes bounce/hot spots.
JoeAggie1010
I'm looking for more host competition run and gun sites in Texas, maybe Louisiana an Oklahoma. Old 18 defense has a good and updated event schedule, but slots fill up fast. Looking forward to y'alls input.

Edit: I forgot to add I've searched the interwebs somewhat extensively.
FamousAgg
I had a setback. Big knot on the Back of my Achilles tendon. X-ray says maybe a partial tear. I had a complete tear a number of years ago. Can't get am mri scheduled until after the run and gun. Debating just running it anyway.
Smeghead4761
JoeAggie1010 said:

I'm looking for more host competition run and gun sites in Texas, maybe Louisiana an Oklahoma. Old 18 defense has a good and updated event schedule, but slots fill up fast. Looking forward to y'alls input.

Edit: I forgot to add I've searched the interwebs somewhat extensively.
Did your search find Waco Tactical Fitness?

They go twice a year, in April and October. 10k on Saturday, 5k Sunday. Actually in Crawford, but WTF is just such a fun acronym.
swampstander
AG
Do these Run and Gun events allow spectators? Looks like something that would be fun to get in to if I wasn't old and fat.
BenderRodriguez
AG
BattleGrackle said:

I had a setback. Big knot on the Back of my Achilles tendon. X-ray says maybe a partial tear. I had a complete tear a number of years ago. Can't get am mri scheduled until after the run and gun. Debating just running it anyway.

Dang, tough break.

Can always walk if needed, but make sure to not hurt yourself pushing too hard. Fine line between tough and dumb (I keep finding myself on the dumb side).

Merry Christmas, run and gunners. Proud of yall for pushing yourselves!
SandyHookVA
AG
tk111 said:

Also got velocity measurements on my 13.7 with Winchester m193...good lord is that stuff wacky. Ranged from around 2800-3000 fps (with an avg & median at 2900) and I was also getting some groups that were ~2 moa and others that were like 3.5+...That concerns me as well. I dont really want to load up with $200 of match ammo but I also want to actually be able to hit those longer targets - gonna end up chasing shots around in a massive error window.

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm thinking carrying a mag with better ammo for longer targets might be the solution.

This thread delivers...just need to find a holster and I'm set for the events here on the East Coast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.