Outdoors
Sponsored by

Raccoons - good eating?

10,373 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Superdave1993
BartInLA
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Was reading about Steve Lamb, a drug dealer from Florida with a crazy story when it was noted that he sold raccoons to others for food.
Just wondering if anyone's tried it or has certain knowledge of the prevalence today?
Independence H-D
I'm in a wild game recipe Facebook group. Trash Panda recipes come up every so often. I eat a lot of unusual things. Just posted about venison liver and onions. However, I ain't eating no trash panda.
agrams
AG
I'm going to assume the LA in your username means Las Angela's, because everyone in Louisiana can answer your question.
BartInLA
I'm going to go make groceries. Just saw a YouTube where a food reviewer went to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida looking for the more atypical soul food. At age 8 my best friend's mother in the Dallas area (she was from Arkansas) had me eat brains and egg. She didn't tell me what it was. I said I liked it and then she told me. My friend laughed.
Independence H-D
Never ask a Cajun what's in the pot. Just enjoy it.
ned911
When I was a kid my dad took me on a business trip to Wisconsin. His customers had a raccoon in a cage in the garage, 3 days later we had coon stew. No more pets in the garage either lol.

Can't remember what it tasted like that could have been 45 years ago.
FTA Class of 1988
OnlyForNow
AG
It's naturally a little greasy, not great - not terrible if cooked and seasoned well.
Tx95Ag
AG
I ate some as a teenager. Friends grandpa grilled it with some BBQ sauce. I don't remember it being bad, but allegedly I was pretty drunk.
BartInLA
A YouTube short on preparing raccoons. Not for the faint of heart.

Viewer discretion is advised.

Trigger warning.

concac
AG
I tried it once. I liked it but it was greasy.
TshirtVulture
TshirtVulture
Whoops.
Don't think I'm interested in trying but I gotta imagine the Coons around here fattened up on my deer corn would have to be better than the Coons digging through trash dumpster at say a campground or something.
redaszag99
Paging Ursus
B-1 83
AG
When I was trapping around Brenham, I would give 'coon carcasses away to some folks after skinning. Never ate any of it.
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
welborn
agrams said:

I'm going to assume the LA in your username means Las Angela's, because everyone in Louisiana can answer your question.
Even I gotta enough sense to not eat a dadgum racoon.
GBMont3
AG
Look up the Gillett Arkansas Coon Supper. I had Bar-B-Coon ribs from there once upon a time. Not great.

Also once mixed a front quarter into a pot of competition chili to spite the judges for their tolerance - celebration even - of beans in chili. That was a fun reveal to make - after the tasting! We ate some first to be fair. Really not bad at all in that preparation.
jwoodmd
Independence H-D said:

Never ask a Cajun what's in the pot. Just enjoy it.
Same goes for traveling in China (especially rural areas)
Crow Valley
My father-in-law who grew up in Eastern Nebraska would fix and eat anything. So, one day we fixed coon at our place and had it fried in butter had some with BBQ sauce. I threw a couple scraps on the ground for our two dogs to fight over and they immediately pounced on the morsels but refused to eat them. Mind you these are farm dogs and would have fought to the death over a week-old roadkill jackrabbit. This bothered me so yes; I've eaten coon but no won't eat it again. I'll take the dogs advice.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
redaszag99 said:

Paging Ursus
ought1ag
AG
OnlyForNow said:

It's naturally a little greasy, not great - not terrible if cooked and seasoned well.
same experience here
Allen76
AG
A guy I worked with would take any raccoon that you would give him to use as his own table fare.
Evidently he loved them. I have never tried it.
jwoodmd
My sister had a friend from Quebec and he was always trying to find porcupine on our land so he could eat them. I assume porcupine and raccoon are viewed about the same. Heck, anyone who would eat a nutria surely isn't selective.
harge57
AG
I heard Bo Jackson telling a story that it was a new years dinner tradition to have racoon.
OnlyForNow
AG
Procupine should be a lot different than coon.

Procupines are strict herbivores while coons are omnivores, with higher tendency to be more carnivores.

Procupines are also rodents, so it'd be like a giant squirrel.
Rattler12
Back in the late sixties as a teenagers me and a couple of compadres went to the old dance hall in Westhoff, TX for a BBQ. Raccoon was on the menu. It wasn't bad......kinda like Javelina
BartInLA
You would have natural toothpicks though with porcupines.

To me raccoons remind me a little bit of chupacabra. A bit greasy.
HtownAg92
AG
My FIL and his brothers were big coon hunters and they ate them all the time. I'm sure I would have tried it if I was there after a hunt (to avoid being seen as a P), but never had the opportunity. And I'm glad.

I'll eat the F out of tree rats though.
spud1910
AG
I ate it a few times in high school and college. Both fried like squirrel and BBQd. Young ones were pretty good, but not good enought that I made them a routine part of my diet.
B-1 83
AG
jwoodmd said:

My sister had a friend from Quebec and he was always trying to find porcupine on our land so he could eat them. I assume porcupine and raccoon are viewed about the same. Heck, anyone who would eat a nutria surely isn't selective.
My dad and friends ate one during Arctic survival training. They were trained to get them because porcupines are dumb, slow, and could be subdued with a club (no pistol shot). He said it tasted like pine and was terrible…..but when you're hungry…….
Being in TexAgs jail changes a man……..no, not really
RM76
AG
Had it 3 different ways - all unconventional. One was grilled over a fire on a hunting trip - was tasty but so tough you couldn't hardly eat it. We then cut it up and boiled it for couple hours with wild onions. Was eatable then but only because we were hungry. Ate it fried as cold left over from night before. Not so good. Also ate it as smoked sausage, 50% coon and 50% pork (yes, this was in Louisiana). It wasn't bad this way, but rather have pure pork or venison sausage.
Stat Monitor Repairman
A lot of coon hunters ate coon during the depression out of necessity. So much so that they wouldn't eat or even skin a coon later in life if they didn't have to (which was never).

Coons that they did get got sold for a couple of bucks.
Gunny456
AG
Ok. Got a story for you Ags as it relates to BBQ coon.
The names are changed to protect the innocent

I had to attend an open house/ on water demo days at one of my dealers in Texas. Was a small mom and pop and son dealership that was nothing fancy but good folks and was located right on the water of the local lake….they had their own dock and boat ramp. They were going to serve folks with BBQ sandwiches, chips and Cokes all for free for attending their open
house.
Well I had been doing demo rides all morning and had lots of folks take rides with me and I had had nothing to eat all day. So one of the dealership helpers brought me down a chopped BBQ sandwich that the dealership service hands were cooking on a small pit.
Now I was hungry as hell, had some folks waiting for a ride, so I choked the sandwich down. It was pretty good BBQ but I noticed it was like real greasy brisket…. Kinda like you would get at a rodeo….and had some grissle in it.
No matter… it was ok so… off I went on another ride.
Now finally evening came and the crowd had died down so I loaded my boat up and went up to the dealership.
Now I gotta explain that the "Pop" owner was an old Texas oilfield hand and was about mid 60's and very gruff and talked like he always had gravel in his throat.
Now the old man used cuss words throughout any sentence he spoke..so he was quite a character (putting it mildly).
Anyway he and some of his old buddies were playing guitars sittin in the service shop. I walked up and he said it looked like it had been a successful day.
They still had the little pit going…. But the old man had his own pit that he was cooking on next to him.
He asked if I was hungry and I told him yes and I started walking over to his shop hands pit to get me another BBQ sandwich.
It was about that time old Pop told me this… and I directly quote " Don't go over there to that pit, come over here and get some real brisket from mine… that pit over there is Coon BBQ…. You don't think I was going to give away good beef brisket for free all day to all them folks wantin free food all day, do ya?!"
True story.
He said they had been coon huntin all week to get enough coon for the giveaway sandwiches!
rwv2055
AG
BartInLA said:

You would have natural toothpicks though with porcupines.

To me raccoons remind me a little bit of chupacabra. A bit greasy.
You get natural toothpicks with raccoons also, Well, with half of them you do.
Hoyt Ag
AG
Goes great with Zatarains dirty rice
AgEng06
AG
Seemed relevant....

https://instagr.am/p/C1vOcXOrleF
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.