Outdoors
Sponsored by

Raccoons - good eating?

10,386 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by Superdave1993
fittybmg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Can't beat a coon dick tooth pick!
CS78
He thought he was eating prime rib, turns out it was just leftover coon.
GSS
Have eaten, and enjoyed, coon cooked various ways, most often BBQ-ed, if not a old sow. Simmered in gravy, if an old one.
In the heyday of coon hides bringing great money ($25-30!, 40 yrs ago...), I skinned so many, I could be selective as which one were table fare.
My kids have said many times..."growing up, we quit asking what was being served, just hoped for the best"

Now opossums, different story, my Dad cleaned every one caught/shot after eating the chicken eggs....but I saw too many crawling out of dead cows, or rooting through fresh cow sh#t....nope, not eating them (anymore).
NRA Life
TSRA Life
sonnysixkiller
AG
I would eat coon before I would eat that damn deer liver and onions on another thread you want to talk about gagging maggots there's a meal for you.
GinMan
AG
Went coon hunting with my FIL many times we visited in Swampers, LA. We would saddle up the mules and have one helluva time. We skinned every coon with precision. He always left the paws intact for future sales of the meat so it wouldn't be mistaken for kitty cat (or pole kitty)
I brought coon back to Texas with me along with my bone "trophy"
We ate the coon and some sheepshead on the grill one night. I was living on Padre Island at the time.
We made jokes that we were probably the first people to eat raccoon and sheepshead on Padre Island since the Karakawa Indians…..
It doesn't taste like chicken or pork….but kind of a greasy dark meat chicken-ish pork-ish taste.
I haven't eaten coon again since then…I still feel confident to this day we're still the only ones since the Karankawa.
Belton Ag
AG
jwoodmd said:

Independence H-D said:

Never ask a Cajun what's in the pot. Just enjoy it.
Same goes for traveling in China (especially rural areas)
https://deadspin.com/your-chinese-street-food-was-probably-cooked-in-poop-oi-1454080626

Good luck with that.
BartInLA
Suddenly eating at Golden Coral doesn't seem so disgusting.
JB!98
AG
I have eaten some of the best taco's ever made. They were a combo of coon, armadillo, and rabbit. I would take everything that I shot to the "hands" and they would cook it up on a flat piece of cast iron with onion and peppers. Some of the best food I have ever eaten. Fresh made tortillas and a parrida of various varmints! Those were the days.

The things they could do with rattlesnake were incredible also. They killed them with rocks to the head, I sat in the truck or tractor.
Today, unfortunately, many Americans have good reason to fear that they will be victimized if they are unable to protect themselves. And today, no less than in 1791, the Second Amendment guarantees their right to do so. - Justice Samuel Alito 2022
Stat Monitor Repairman
Coon hunting is as man against nature as you can get.

Coon hunting may be the most physically taxing kind of hunting you can do.

You hunting in the dead of night. And through the thickest of thicket.

You walking through muddy and slick terrain. Crossing creeks and sloughs.

It's not an uncommon to get stuck in mud and have to abandon a boot or waders.

If you slip and fall while coon hunting theres a good chance whatever you grab on the way down will have thorns on it or might be poisonous like Spanish dagger.

You also dealing with something called bull nettle which is a toxic type of plant. Also poison oak is a common issue.

You will get attacked by mutant mosquitos amped up on whatever Dow chemical had been venting earlier that day.

You also dealing with ticks, chiggers and leaches.

You got other predators out there in the woods at night like moccasins, copperheads, rattlesnakes. A high risk of snake bite.

You also liekly to encounter hogs and gators or unfriendly livestock.

You go coon hunting there's probably a good chance of getting either ticks, chiggers, poison oak. But you always going to return from a hunt with some sort of injury or ailment.

Coon hunting comes with risk of exposure to rabies. Rabid coons will attack both dogs and humans.

It's not uncommon for it to be 100% humidity while coon hunting.

It's not uncommon to get into fog at night while coon hunting.

It's not uncommon to get lost while coon hunting.

You got to be somewhat of a marksman to coon hunt. You shooting a small animal out of a tree at night. Most of the time you shooting offhand.

You could go 15+miles through thick terrain in a night. Easy.

Coon hunting is an underrated type of hunting. If you are an outdoorsman and got the opportunity to go on a coon hunt, do it while you can.
Micropterus
AG
GinMan said:

Went coon hunting with my FIL many times we visited in Swampers, LA.

You know, there ain't too many folks in north LA, and I'm guessing even fewer on this board, that know where Swampers is. Yall ever stop at Donnel's store?
GinMan
AG
Micropterus said:

GinMan said:

You know, there ain't too many folks in north LA, and I'm guessing even fewer on this board, that know where Swampers is. Yall ever stop at Donnel's store?

Plenty of times. I still wear a t-shirt from Donnell's lol. The Rib was born and raised in Swampers. She went to Ward III. Her parents still live a mile or two from Bayou Macon bridge.
Good times saddling up the mules hunting nights at Tensas!
AgTrip
^^^^^^^

I had just seen that the other day and that video also came to mind. That's hilarious.

I've had raccoon and as said previously, it is very greasy!
TRD-Ferguson
AG
My grandparents lived in southern Mississippi. Grandpa was a big time outdoorsman. Hunted, trapped, fished all the time. It was magical for me as a kid. We ate everything we got. The only thing I couldn't stomach was when he'd scramble catfish eggs with chicken eggs.

Anyway, raccoon, much like possum, is greasy. My grandmother would cook both with sweet potatoes.

Was out squirrel hunting early one morning. Just as the sun came up I noticed something shiny in the top of a tree. Two raccoons up there sleeping. Shot both of them. Took them to grandma who said she already had lunch planned and coon wasn't on the menu. Suggested I clean the coons and take them to her neighbors down the road.

Got the coons cleaned and took them to the neighbor. This is in 1970. The neighbors were in their late 60's. You should have seen their faces light up! You'd have thought I brought them filet mignon.
GBMont3
AG
We used to have a housekeeper who had grown up in Bremond and she was a real character. I have lots of Thelma stories. But coon and possum talk reminds me of the time we told her about a trip we were making to Tyler.

She loved plants and flowers, her house was basically a greenhouse, and we'd bring her plants from places we visited. With Tyler, you'd think roses. But no, Thelma wanted a possum. She insisted that the best eating possums came from Tyler.

We got her a plant. Not sure where or how she'd have cooked the possum.
cupofjoe04
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Coon hunting may be the most physically taxing kind of hunting you can do.

With all due respect, I have done more than my fair share of coon hunting. It is not anywhere close to the most physically taxing kind of hunting you can do. I guess if all you have to compare it to is strolling to a deer blind or climbing a tree and sitting still... OK.

I understand that you have to walk through, at times, some tougher terrain. But do ANYTHING out west, and you will see what "physically taxing" really means. That's not even mentioning many of the sheep and goat hunts around the world that will grind you up and spit you out on day 1.
Gone Camping
AG
We had a coon a few years ago killing our chickens. The boys live trapped it and my oldest said he wanted to eat it. I said no you don't, he said yes I do, back and forth and I finally said whatever, you're gonna have to clean it. Other son shoots it and I supervise and give them instructions on cleaning. Didn't waste time gutting the nasty (but well fed!) sucker, just took the quarters so they'd have something to cook. Oldest threw it in a dutch oven with bbq sauce, a diced onion and a diced bell pepper on a campout. Slow cooked it for several hours over the camp fire. Not much meat but everyone liked it!
one safe place
When I was in junior high through high school, we hunted using headlights, trapped, and ran coon with dogs. Also hunted possums, armadillos, and rabbit. Early on, we sold the coon (gutted and frozen, but not skinned) for $1.25, eventually sold the fur for $2.00 or so. Over time prices improved to the point you could make some decent money, at least relative to the cost of things.

After I graduated from A&M, I went to work for a big 8 CPA firm, hated it, so I quit. Went back to working derricks until I decided what I was going to do. Made $15,500 a year for the big 8 firm, $4.65 an hour in the derrick. With overtime, it paid more. Fur prices went insane and at that time, a large coon pelt was $28 to $34 and the meat sold for $5. I had out four traps near my house and was catching 2 or 3 most every morning, making about double what I was on the rig. So, I quit, and I trapped full time. Wasn't hard to make $1,000 to $1,200 a week, but of course the trapping season was only two months long. Another month on each side of it for night hunting, and you could make decent money.

Seeing the post on strenuous hunting, when we did all this, there were no side by sides, no ATV's, every bit of it was done walking. You carried traps, gun, ax, and carried what you caught. When trapping you were almost always in marshy areas or at least where water was standing. I would guess most of the time, I was walking 12 to 15 miles a day. Up at daylight, home just before dark, then skinning stuff into the night. Headlight hunting was close to that distance wise, depending on where we hunted. Over Christmas break, when I came home from A&M, I'd weigh from 210 to 215 or so. When I went back for the spring semester, I was 185 or thereabouts.

I've eaten coon once I think. Some people I would go deer hunting with had a full time cook at their camp. The subject came up, so he BBQd one, and it was edible, but when you have gutted hundreds of something, maybe that thought impacted my taste buds, lol. As someone mentioned, I have seen possums crawl out of a dead cow rotting in the summer sun a couple of times. For me to eat one, my ribs would need to be showing.
RK
AG
Quote:

I haven't eaten coon again since then…I still feel confident to this day we're still the only ones since the Karankawa.
and they often chose to eat other people over coon.
acharbs
AG
I mean... you can technically eat just about anything, if you want to bad enough. Doesn't mean you should or it'll be good.
Gunny456
AG
I'm with you there. Can't even stand to be in the room when it's cooking
Micropterus
AG
GinMan said:

Micropterus said:

GinMan said:

Plenty of times. I still wear a t-shirt from Donnell's lol. The Rib was born and raised in Swampers. She went to Ward III. Her parents still live a mile or two from Bayou Macon bridge.

See now you're talkin about my homefolks. Dad's side is all from Crowville. They were raised up towards the Warsaw community. I used to love going over to Sharkey in Tensas frog hunting and running trot lines and squirrel hunting.

I dated a girl from Ward III in high school. They always had a good girls basketball team. She was fun.
Independence H-D
My family is all from Mangham and Newelton. We still have property around there.
Micropterus
AG
Independence H-D said:

My family is all from Mangham and Newelton. We still have property around there.

You dont need someone to "oversee" the wildlife there by chance?
Independence H-D
Unfortunately, no. As a matter of fact, about to list it for sale.
Independence H-D
I also have a cousin who "oversees" the wildlife. I think he believes hunting laws are more like suggestions.
HtownAg92
AG
Independence H-D said:

I also have a cousin who "oversees" the wildlife. I think he believes hunting laws are more like suggestions.
I think a lot of people have similar cousins. I don't have a big problem with it because they eat everything they kill.

Now trot line catfish and frog legs are a whole different thing than trash pandas. Those are things that are down-right preferred, instead of disgustingly choked down.
Rattler12
How many of yall put frog legs in your gombo ? Show of hands......
Independence H-D
There used to be a restaurant out in a cotton field someplace around there decades ago that had the best damn frog legs I've ever had.
OnlyForNow
AG
Gotta get enough to use first.
one safe place
Rattler12 said:

Fried, only fried!
AgDad121619
AG
harge57 said:

I heard Bo Jackson telling a story that it was a new years dinner tradition to have racoon.
had a buddy in SE Texas that sold a bunch for Super Bowl parties grilling
The Last Cobra Commander
AG
"The leftist is driven by something other than facts and can't be cured."
RC_57
AG
Rattler12 said:

Grew up in the 60s and early 70s in Westbury (SW Houston)

We had an irrigation ditch running behind our house. Probably ran a mile long or so

Buddy and used to go frog gigging nightly for years. Headlamp powered by one of those big old batteries in a canteen holders on my belt. 3-prong gig on the end of a broom handle with twine tied back to a belt loop. I swear we could throw our gigs accurately out to about 10', 12'.

Used to bring potato sacks of big ol croakers home.

Damn good memories.
GinMan
AG
Micropterus said:

GinMan said:

Micropterus said:

GinMan said:

See now you're talkin about my homefolks. Dad's side is all from Crowville. They were raised up towards the Warsaw community. I used to love going over to Sharkey in Tensas frog hunting and running trot lines and squirrel hunting.

I dated a girl from Ward III in high school. They always had a good girls basketball team. She was fun.

Sounds like my bride …. lol
Micropterus
AG
Independence H-D said:

There used to be a restaurant out in a cotton field someplace around there decades ago that had the best damn frog legs I've ever had.

Browns Landing?
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.