Outdoors
Sponsored by

stupid walnut desk

3,355 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by SoulSlaveAG2005
agrams
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This desktop is by far the most figured piece of walnut I have worked with. Every inch of this could be used for shotgun stocks on guns i wouldn't even be able to begin to think about being able to afford

Mas89
AG
Awesome. Is it for sale?
If so I'm in line.
HalifaxAg
AG
wood
agrams
AG
most everything i make is custom order. From picking the specific veneers, customizing the design, and finding the right slab. Most of what I enjoy about woodworking is helping people customize and make something specific to their style, use, and taste.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
That's sick looking. What finish did you use? That looks glossier than usual projects?

The hidden drawers are dope. And incorporating the live edge into their face is sweet.
mwm
Well, you've done it again. You've gone and stirred up my jealousy genes.

Awsome work.
TulsAg
AG
Stunning.
Catag94
AG
TulsAg said:

Stunning.

Indeed!
suburban cowboy
AG
how much $$$ we talking here
theJonatron
AG
That's a generational piece.
BQ_90
AG
How heavy is that thing
Hoyt Ag
AG
Meh.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Got the same style at IKeA for $99

agrams
AG
the shiny finish is from my putting denatured alcohol on it to show the grain. I typically do a satin finish, but I did do a semi gloss on this because it had so much character i wanted to show off more. For a finish, the base is lacquer, and the top is a post-catalyzed conversion varnish.

suburban: price can be all over the place depending on slab selection, veneer/wood selection, and hardware. Generally speaking, start around the 3k range for simpler woods and more standard top boards. but once you get into exotic woods or higher character slabs, there really is no upper limit. Ive done a similar desk from an exotic wood and it was 6k for the desktop slabs alone. As a rule of thumb, assume material is 1/3 to 1/2 of the final cost, and a lot of slabs I tend to use are in the 2-3k range.

BQ_90: not as heavy as you would think. The top was thick, but its not an overly dense wood. The top comes off the cabinets, and the front knee panel and end cabinets break down with bolts/threaded inserts. Ive got a mesquite table im working on now that is 10' long and those 3 boards alone will easily weigh more than this desk, and once i get those things glued together, there's no breaking them down to move them around.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Gotcha. That explains the high gloss reflection look. I was almost worried you decided to glossy epoxy on it. (J/k)

agrams
AG
working on a stupid large mesquite table now.. 120"x40".. I've never seen a mesquite tree this straight
fullback44
AG
That is crazy, you never see mesquite's that straight for 10 foot.. gonna be a nice table
Hwy30East
My God, that is beautiful!!!!

What are the dimensions of the walnut desk?
rednecked
AG
agrams said:

working on a stupid large mesquite table now.. 120"x40".. I've never seen a mesquite tree this straight

wood love to have seen that mesquite tree standing tall! a rare sight indeed!
agrams
AG
the desk was exceptionally large. Typical desks are around 30x60, this was 74x30/35 (narrower in the middle, wider at the two ends).
tu ag
AG
I'd never work at that desk, because I wouldn't want anything on top of it to hide the majesty!
Serious Lee
if that was my desk, id end up a convicted felon. would have to murder the first person that set down a cold can/glass of water on it.
txrancher69
AG
I have heard that originally there were two subspecies of mesquite, one with straight trunks (recessive), the other with the bent type (dominant) we see now. Supposedly, early settlers sought out the straight trunks for cabin/barn building and eventually wiped them out. Or at least removed enough that it became unusual to find a double recessive straight type. But, we still see an occasional straight tree like you are using for that table so they are not all gone.

Have no idea if this is true or not, but I did read an account one time in an early pioneers biography about growing up in the Hill Country 1850-1880. He said as a very small boy he helped his father drag in big straight mesquite with a mule team for their log cabin house. But, he said, they were very hard to find and in later years he never saw them at all.

I have also been told there are isolated places in old Mexico where a number of old straight mesquite grow to this day.
So three conspiracy theorists walk into a bar.................You can't convince me that's a coincidence.
jwoodmd
Curious about the board in the middle at the bottom end. Is that large split something you'll try to glue back together (and maybe throw a dovetail key) or do you consider likely internal stresses will just cause a new spilt nearby?
rednecked
AG
I absolutely love mesquite. I have some boards that will be my next project. building a desk as well. however, mine will be much simpler than Agrams. on a mesquite note I just have to show this off. I didn't build it but it is mine. Mesquite front, back and side. Bois d'arc neck, Texas ebony fretboard. red oak binding and bracing, 100% Texas wood guitar. Only one like it in the world.

A.G.S.94

That is slick!
firethewagonup
Wood, twice
Gigem Aggies
ConfidentAg
AG
My god this is beautiful
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
If agrams builds it, it'll last.

Cherry desk top he built, at least 5 years ago, and my 5 kids are anything but polite around it.

No need to go to jail over it.
agrams
AG
that cherry is unlike any other cherry I've used. that was from a tree on my uncles land in bowie County. thing went up 24' before it had a single branch, and it was harder than any cherry I've ever bought at a mill.
bam02
AG
Incredible.
hoodlum98
Aggie12B
AG
Agrams, your threads NEVER disappoint.
That walnut desk is phenomenal.
The Mesquite desk that you are working is going to be gorgeous as well.
You should start your own youtube woodworking channel. I would definitely be a subscriber and I am pretty sure a bunch of other folks here on TexAgs would be as well.
Thank you for sharing pictures of your works of art.
You have serious skills
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
It never disappoint when people see it. The character and figure in the wood is just amazing.

My favorite is the sap wood and the patterns in it. I'll get distracted just looking at it while working or studying.

SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Aggie12B said:

Abrams, your threads NEVER disappoint.
That walnut desk is phenomenal.
The Mesquite desk that you are working is going to be gorgeous as well. You should start your own youtube woodworking channel. I would definitely be a subscriber and I am pretty sure a bunch of other folks here on TexAgs would be as well.
Thank you for sharing pictures of your works of art.
You gave serious skills

For sure. Lots of wood pron water pop shots!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.