Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing Trip to Homer Alaska-Available Spots on Boat

1,705 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Aggie19Eighty
Aggie19Eighty
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a shout out to fellow Aggies on this board. My wife and I have scheduled two full days of fishing in Homer, Alaska on Thursday, June 24, 2025 and Friday, June 25, 2025 with Captain Travis Blount aboard his 30 ft boat called Obsession. Homer is the halibut fishing capital in North America. The Thursday trip is a multi-species trip targeting Halibut, Salmon, Rockfish (similar to Red Snapper) and Lingcod 8-12 hr trip. The Friday trip will include bottom-fishing for Halibut and jigging for Rockfish 8-10 hr trip. Leaves the dock early (6am) so we will be one of first boats out. The cost per person for Thursday is $1,164.78 per person and Friday $992.22 per person. We had 4 people cancel after we booked and were looking for 4 Aggies to fish with us in Alaska. This is our first time fishing Alaska (we usually fish at Cabo).
The captain was recommended by another Aggie. We were told each person should leave the boat with about 30 lb of filleted fish per day( assuming a good day and good weather) to bring back to the lower 48. Fish is quick frozen to -43F, packed in styrofoam- lined boxes which will stay frozen about 96 hrs and then can be checked at aitport if less than 50 lbs. in weight.
There are certainly no guarantees because it's still fishing. Travis' website is blountadventurecruises.com. 6 person maximum on the boat and we were told we all will receive a discount if we fill the boat with our group.
My email address is gjhermes@suddenlink.net. Cell is 361-649-8257 to contact me. Travis said I would pay him for all four of the other spots and then be reimbursed between the individuals. (50% of the total price is required to hold a spot for each day.). Let me know if you are interested. July is a busy time for bookings of these trips, so it is imperative to book as early as possible to get a reservation on the charter. If no Aggie is interested, he will open the spots back to anyone fairly soon. Thanks.
Greg Hermes '80
Victoria, TX
agsalaska
AG
There is about a 50% chance that my wife and I retire in 10 years to Homer.

A lot has to go right in the world for that to happen. But I am really hoping that it does. Will get a part time job on the docks.
Jbob04
AG
10 years? You are pretty young still to be talking crazy like that
TRIDENT
AG
So the daily rate for the boat is $4,000? Different fishery but a daily rate for a boat in Cabo is $600.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Cabo fishes 12 months. Homer has 4, maybe 5 to get the tourist money.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Trident and Everyone Else-I apologize
Correction From Original Post:

I called Captain Travis and he clarified what the actual charter trip cost is if we fill up the boat with all 6 people in our group. If not, it is only slightly more.
Full boat price is as follows:

Multi-Species Trip:
Entire Boat $3,019.00
Per Person (6 people) $ 503.17

Halibut & Rockfish Trip:
Entire Boat $ 2,976.66
Per Person (6 people) $496.11

Veterans, Active Military, First Responders get 6% Discount from above prices .

Tip is not included if you desire to tip the captain and deck hand.

These prices make more sense and seem reasonable. He also mentioned that if we have the entire charter, we can fish for whatever the group decides they want to fish for each trip. Thank you Trident for your inquiry. It was a great catch of my error. (No pun intended!) It should be a fun trip. Again my apologies.
Greg Hermes '80
Stringfellow Hawke
AG
Thanks for the update. I was thinking to myself, looks like I am never fishing in Alaska…
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
Halibut fishing is about the only kind of charter that I've ever been able to justify economically. At $40/lb you are bringing back well over a grand worth of fish for that day. The salmon math isn't quite as juicy but if you catch a couple big kings it's close. Had no idea you had to book a year out these days
agsalaska
AG
Jbob04 said:

10 years? You are pretty young still to be talking crazy like that

Like I said.

A LOT has to go right.
TRIDENT
AG
That sounds better, Greg. I am hoping to visit Alaska around that timeframe, coordinating family schedules. I may reach out if everything lines up.
justnobody79
a local family was lost at sea there recently on a fishing trip. it has been oddly quiet about what happened even with 4 survivors that were also members of the extended family
cheeky
AG
TRIDENT said:

So the daily rate for the boat is $4,000? Different fishery but a daily rate for a boat in Cabo is $600.
A panga with a one-eyed skipper, maybe.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
As I noted in the corrected post, the daily rate is about $3,000 for the boat which comes out to a daily rate of $500 per person (6 people on boat).7. These are 10 hour trips, so reasonable for a bucket list type of thing, which is how I look at it. If my wife and I bring home 100 lbs of filleted fish, that's icing on the cake.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Don't forget to tack a dollar up at the Salty Dog.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Milwaukee:
I wasn't aware of that tradition, thanks for the information. We'll be sure to do it!
TRIDENT
AG
cheeky said:

TRIDENT said:

A panga with a one-eyed skipper, maybe.

https://www.piscessportfishing.com/fishing-charter-cabos

Or, say, a Bertram sportfish.
Shoefly!
AG
Good luck Greg, from a fellow Victorian. Y'all Have a good and safe trip!
phorizt
Charismatic Megafauna said:

Halibut fishing is about the only kind of charter that I've ever been able to justify economically. At $40/lb you are bringing back well over a grand worth of fish for that day. The salmon math isn't quite as juicy but if you catch a couple big kings it's close. Had no idea you had to book a year out these days
I would have long since given up all of my hobbies if I had to justify them economically....
agsalaska
AG
One year, either in 2007 or 2008, my wife and I caught about 50 salmon and maybe 8 halibut. We shipped around 300 pounds of it back to Texas in a trade for venison and beef from our relatives. We did it again the next year but not quite as much

Those were good days.

I did to some absolutely stupid crazy as stuff in Alaska that I would never do again and won't even admit it to my kids for fear of them doing as I done. Most of it involved boats in the open sea or hiking/camping in areas where a wrong turn and you are lost forever. Or hanging off of cliffs from ropes dipnetting the Copper River waters that nobody had ever fallen in and survived. That was probably the dumbest.

The one thing I never did that I regret now is canoeing or boating down the Yukon River. One of my best friends spent months on the Yukon when he was younger and the stories were awesome. But I never had the time.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Shoefly
Can you give me a call? Thanks.
INIGO MONTOYA
fished with travis end of july. had reservations on another boat and the guy cancelled two days before the charter. got the last seat with a group of guys from wisconsin. good trip. roughly 40 lbs of fish - 2 halibut, limits of rockfish and a large ling cod (which is outstanding by the way). no huge halibut caught - large ones were roughly 40 lbs.
agsalaska
AG
INIGO MONTOYA said:

fished with travis end of july. had reservations on another boat and the guy cancelled two days before the charter. got the last seat with a group of guys from wisconsin. good trip. roughly 40 lbs of fish - 2 halibut, limits of rockfish and a large ling cod (which is outstanding by the way). no huge halibut caught - large ones were roughly 40 lbs.
If you are eating Halibut you don't want them bigger than about 60 pounds. Maybe up to 80 but after that the meat completely changes.
INIGO MONTOYA
yep - i was happy with what i brought home. i think it would be fun to just catch a toad.

add a family haul of 80 lbs of salmon. checked luggage in 3 50lb boxes. all stayed frozen.
Aggie19Eighty
AG
Thanks for sharing your story on Travis. We are looking forward to it! Still need 4 fishermen or women to fish with us.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.