Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rock Climbing

1,084 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by AggieOO
Hearne_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any rock climbers on this board?
JFABNRGR
AG
I dabbled a very little bit. Mostly indoor and 2-3 trips to enchanted rock. Still have all the gear and a bucket of holds, I should try to sell.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
PharmD4
AG
Wanting to get into it more. Got some shoes, planning to go soon (indoor)

Any tips?
Hearne_Ag
AG
I've done both sport and trad climbing definitely not an expert. Have only been climbing indoors on and off since 2020 and didn't start rock climbing until 2023.

Wanted to see what other Aggies are out there that are into climbing.

Pic of Devils Tower, I climbed the Durrance Route.
JFABNRGR
AG
PharmD4 said:

Wanting to get into it more. Got some shoes, planning to go soon (indoor)

Any tips?

Find a mentor and use your legs.
“You can resolve to live your life with integrity. Let your credo be this: Let the lie come into the world, let it even triumph. But not through me.”
- Alexander Solzhenitsyn
BSD
AG
I climb a little. Mostly indoor since I live in Houston but I get out west a couple times of year to hike/climb/canyoneer. So far I've been climbing in Zion, Yosemite, Vegas, and the Moab area. Being a bigger guy holds me back a bit. in the gym I get to a 5.10. Real rock (Yosemite slab) is so much different than the gym, so I'm more of a 5.7-5.8 climber there. It's still fun though.
SunrayAg
AG
I did some climbing in my 20's on rocks in New Mexico.

But now I'm in my 50's, and would be no help.
Hearne_Ag
AG
BSD said:

I climb a little. Mostly indoor since I live in Houston but I get out west a couple times of year to hike/climb/canyoneer. So far I've been climbing in Zion, Yosemite, Vegas, and the Moab area. Being a bigger guy holds me back a bit. in the gym I get to a 5.10. Real rock (Yosemite slab) is so much different than the gym, so I'm more of a 5.7-5.8 climber there. It's still fun though.
Same here, I'd like to try and get out more and climb in Moab and Colorado a little bit more.
BSD
AG
Hearne_Ag said:

Same here, I'd like to try and get out more and climb in Moab and Colorado a little bit more.

I'll be booking a trip to Moab again in March or April. Will probably do a spire climb or two and then go canyoneering out near Hanksville in the Irish Canyons. Then a hike in the Chesler Park area of the Needles in Canyonlands.
Hearne_Ag
AG
BSD said:

Hearne_Ag said:

I'll be booking a trip to Moab again in March or April. Will probably do a spire climb or two and then go canyoneering out near Hanksville in the Irish Canyons. Then a hike in the Chesler Park area of the Needles in Canyonlands.
I have Castleton and Ancient Art on my bucket list. Need more experience on rock and crack climbing.
Naveronski
AG
I climb - mostly gyms in DFW.
SGrem
Have built lots of rock crawlers. That count?
Www.gowithgrem.com
Wearer of the Ring
AG
I climb in and out of my BarcaLounger several times each day.
Mas89
AG
My son was into climbing in pre teen and early teen years. I'm afraid of heights so it always scared the hell out of me. I never understood completely trusting the rope anchors which were already there. Over the years he climbed lots of places in the hill country, including enchanted rock and several in Colorado. I would send him off with a group or guide. Luckily after getting his driver's liscense he has found other ways to scare me.

My niece recently did the half dome hike at Yosemite. The photos looked cool.
HumbleAg04
AG
Go find a copy and play at E Rock.

https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Drivers-Manual-Climbers-Enchanted/dp/B000HNUSVQ
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Free Solo was one of the most boring films I have ever watched. Didn't make it through. I am assuming he made it to the top, but not curious enough to verify.
ccard257
AG
Off and on for 20 years. Mostly plastic these days. Need to find some other old farts to get outside more with.
AggieOO
when i lived in NYC, I climbed (rock and ice) a lot more b/c it was an easy trip up to the gunks. great crack climbing up there. haven't climbed outdoors in years at this point. Haven't even climbed indoors consistently in a very long time at this point. Unfortunately, once kids came along, I had to scale back extraneous hobbies and even though I like rock climbing, it wasn't my #1 so it didn't really make the cut.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.