Outdoors
Sponsored by

Copro****ia in rescue dogs

1,307 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by AJ02
PowerFade
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A few months ago we rescued two poodles that were mill mammas. They are a bit older, one is 7 the other is 8 almost 9. They have settled in pretty well aside from a little separation anxiety at times. They seem happy, have put on good weight and are eating well. The one thing we cannot seem to break is the Copro****ia. We have tried a couple of different supplements and of course pick it up as soon as we see them go, but at times they still have accidents when we are gone for an extended period of time and we see evidence of them having gone and then it being eaten. I know it is largely due to them being caged most of their lives. What can we do to break this habit?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!
Mathguy64
AG
A dog of mine (rescue) had this particular nasty habit. Besides picking the crap up religiously before they had a chance at it, there was something we added to the kibble. It's been years and I can't remember what it was but it was powder that didn't change the taste of the food but it made the poop taste bitter.

I never tested that theory personally.

I think keeping the yard clean is probably what broke the habit.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Sprinkle some old school meat tenderizer on their food for a week or so. It works.
theJonatron
AG
I've heard feeding them some bananas helps
maroon barchetta
theJonatron said:

Also pineapples works.
Dogdoc
AG
Try Coproban
AggieOO
we've tried everything with one of our dogs. absolutely nothing works. we've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's 10 now. We gave up a long time ago.
EMY92
AG
theJonatron said:

I didn't think potassium rich foods were good for dogs.
Beckdiesel03
AG
We sprinkle For- Bid on their food and it stops the black lab from doing this. Ordered it off amazon and its easy and worked fast for us.
chet98
AG
Had a rescue doxie mix with this unfortunate habit. We tried the sprinkle on the food stuff. It did nothing. Keeping the yard picked up was the only solution. Not a bad win - win really vs. letting old dog poop sit and rot in the grass.
average_joker
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Sprinkle some old school meat tenderizer on their food for a week or so. It works.

Bromelain. I've had the same problem, except my rescue dog has mega esophagus. As in, anything he doesn't eat sitting in his chair winds up on my floor.
Ryan the Temp
AG
AggieOO said:

we've tried everything with one of our dogs. absolutely nothing works. we've had him since he was 8 weeks old. He's 10 now. We gave up a long time ago.
Same thing with one of our beagles, only she's really smart about it. She'll walk around the yard dropping little nuggets in the hope we won't get them all picked up so she can grab a snack later.
Sea Speed
AG
My dog only eats the cat **** straight out of the litter box. Have to heavily control the entry points.
AJ02
AG
AggieOO said:

Same for us. Tried everything we can think of. MSG (recommended by our vet), various "No poo" supplements...nothing works. We try to pick it up as soon as we can. But we have several dogs so while we're picking up one pile of poo, another dog is squatting elsewhere and she dashes over eat it up. I can even yell at her to stop and she just eats faster.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.