La Bodega is BACK!!

16,909 Views | 104 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by spike427
befitter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Went last night...it was packed. Tacos and Margs were great!! So glad they are back and in SOCO!! Bring the actual shakers back with the martini glasses please!!
Costa and Andreas
Thank so much!

You can get the martini glasses on request, we have them.

HOWEVER: we are waiting on new strainers for them. We had to throw out the ones we had because the seals were leaky and we were getting complaints understandably.

Take care
chrissysmassage
So grateful for the return! The steak burrito was delicious fresh and as warmed up leftovers the next day. I always order two for myself! Guilt free! Haha! I can say it's very close, I recalled purple in it before that was crunchy. So good!!
agtwister_5
AG
Do you get chips and salsa?
ags4rocks
AG
Went last night. The updates to the interior were great. I like the new atmosphere. Service was really good, our server was attentive and made things right when order was messed up and let us order from table and not counter. Opportunities for Improvement, the bar didn't know what a ranch water was.. the margaritas were ok, a little sweet for my taste. Also out of Dos XX, when I wanted to switch to beer!! Now to the food, it was ok, had a variety of Appetizers, Tacos, Nachos and Quesadillas between our group. Nachos were pretty big disappointment, Tacos were ok, the seafood ones were the best. Overall we spent $220 for 4 adults and 2 kids.. seems a little high for just a taco place on a Sunday night! Glad to have another option in SOCO. I never visited any other La Bodega so really had no expectations going in. I really feel it wasn't a huge difference from Mad Taco, definitely better, but I think I was expecting something more. I will be back as it is super convenient and enjoy the atmosphere and the strawberry tart (amazing) there!!
pattybrhg
The tacos were about on par with Fuego for price. The basically total absence of kid options were a huge negative for us. A chicken and cheese taco was the only kid specific option. After that, they've got nachos and quesadillas, but if you add any meat, you're looking at a $15-17 kid meal. Big yikes there! $90 for a family of 2 adults and 3 kids with 1 appetizer, one soft drink, and no dessert.

It's also counter service but with a waitress that is probably great if you're doing dessert or drinks. Someone else brought out our food, again like Fuego, but this time with a checkout experience like Pluckers - a handheld credit card swipe directly with the waitress in front of you that defaults to 20% for counter service. I get that places are going that way, but I guess we just aren't the target demographic there as that was quite off putting.

The calamari was very good as remembered and the assortment of tacos were all pretty good, though none outstanding. It seems like it'll be a fun addition to South College Station, but I likely won't go back outside of carry out. The shakers looked like they were pretty affordable, fun options, with some good happy hour deals.

The digital tab on your table number through a QR code was nice if you wanted to pay out on your own or order more without going to the counter or bar.

P.S. I was really hoping the crab enchiladas were making a comeback!
kevmiller
pattybrhg said:

It's also counter service but with a waitress that is probably great if you're doing dessert or drinks. Someone else brought out our food, again like Fuego, but this time with a checkout experience like Pluckers - a handheld credit card swipe directly with the waitress in front of you that defaults to 20% for counter service. I get that places are going that way, but I guess we just aren't the target demographic there as that was quite off putting.

Should have see the look I got when told her I was paying cash. That was an adventure.
Like you I get places are moving more towards all digital currency ( not a good thing btw) but if a server stands over me with the handheld and watches me enter the info.. I'm gonna make it real easy and tip 0 or maybe a dollar or 2. Can't stand that .

At this place as you mentioned if you're getting drinks ect or ordering more food I get the waitress part but we ordered at the counter, got our own drinks on way to to table and one refill on way out. No extra food. Nobody waited on us, We didn't need a waitress.. so for that literally zero reason to tip anything.

Food .. meh
Pushing $40 for 3 small tacos, 2 fountain drinks, and a basket of cold chips and cold salsa from a jar.
Shrimp taco served with cold dry coleslaw on a cold dry straight from the bag corn tortilla
Wish em the best but we won't be in a hurry to go back

maroon barchetta
That was not our experience at all.
Costa and Andreas
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your experience. We take all feedback seriously. I hope you wouldn't mind discussing further. Costa@eccellgroup.com

For what it's worth the charred tomato salsa is made fresh in house daily. CharGrilled onion and tomato pureed with fresh lime, cilantro and other spices.

Thank you
MiMi
S
My question is if those requesting tips from the hand-held table-side devices or those behind the counter: are they earning a tipped server wage or an appropriate hourly wage? If they are only earning $2.13/hr as a tipped employee, I will definitely tip. But if they are getting a wage higher than minimum wage and providing minimal or no service, then why are we being asked to tip them?
australopithecus robustus
Full on counter service
Fuego, jersey mikes, etc

Hybrid counter service with cocktail server
Hopdoddy, Willie's Ice House, La Bodega

Full service
Gringos etc

Seems to me the addition of selling alcohol/bringing additional rounds etc to counter service is where this all plays in.

Zackdh9
AG
Back and better than ever. Thx
backinbcs
Went today for lunch. Crowded. Food very good. Chips not the same - not the thick chips of old. That makes it just another place. But again, food very good.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Anyone had the breakfast tacos yet? I see them on the website menu but they don't show up on the online ordering.
Costa and Andreas
Good morning. Thanks for your interest.

Brunch/breakfast hasn't begun just yet. We are targeting next weekend if all goes well. Drive through a few weeks after that.

Thanks!!
maroon barchetta
Costa and Andreas said:

Good morning. Thanks for your interest.

Brunch/breakfast hasn't begun just yet. We are targeting next weekend if all goes well. Drive through a few weeks after that.

Thanks!!

French toast tower?
Costa and Andreas
That has been retired. The production time is too long unfortunately for the model we are now
maroon barchetta
Ok
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Awesome, thank you!
tu ag
AG
Went Sat night.
Had to stand in line for 15 minutes before we could even order, because there were no tables for our party of four. Once we ordered and sat down, it was so loud (music was WAY too loud) we couldn't have a conversation. So we rushed through the food and left. Food was good, but the way the wait was managed and the noise will keep us from going frequently.
tu ag
AG
Also had several parties come in behind us, realize nobody could order and we were just standing around waiting, and left. That model will cost them a lot of business when busy.
ElephantRider
AG
Went again this afternoon, still phenomenal. Great day for a shaker on the patio.
chickencoupe16
AG
tu ag said:

...it was so loud (music was WAY too loud) we couldn't have a conversation.

We went Thursday night and it was packed but never did I think it was too loud. Maybe the music level varies but it couldn't have been much more full when we went.

Food was great and we'll definitely be back!
If all the tables are full in any restaurant you have to wait.
tu ag
AG
Yeah, that is obvious. But I have never been unable to order at a counter service restaurant and when a number of other folks are walking out, I'd want to know if I owned the place.
Understood. I've been to Fuego quite a few times when they stop taking orders until more tables come available. Just sayin. Same thing at hopdoddy.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Went last night and enjoyed it, good atmosphere and service and the tacos were pretty solid. Only complaint is that all the margs use marg/sour mix instead of lime juice, I'd be willing to pay more for one with real lime.
Costa and Andreas
Our mix is Mad Rita fresh mix made with fresh lime juice.

Pro tip:
Order a skinny rita and get fresh lime juice only if you like!
RafterAg223
AG
tu ag said:

Yeah, that is obvious. But I have never been unable to order at a counter service restaurant and when a number of other folks are walking out, I'd want to know if I owned the place.
I've been to Hopdoddy, Hattie B's Hot Chicken, Rodeo Goat in Dallas, and several other counter service restaurants numerous times when they froze the line on taking orders while the restaurant was full. Same people here griping about this would probably also gripe at the counter service restaurants that have strict policies on not sitting at an open table until you have actually placed a food order.
Leto Agtreides II
AG
Awesome, I asked at the counter and they made it seem like it was a sweet and sour mix as opposed to lime so that's good to hear.
Costa and Andreas
Understandable that they would've made it seem that way. The fresh mad Rita mix is delivered in gallon or 3.5 gallon vessels.
Dustoff00
AG
Cross posted from the Coming /Going thread.

Another positive review of La Bodaga II.

Great food, drinks, and atmosphere… We will be back, for sure...

Just a sample of what we got and we were on the patio, so it was fantastic with the recent wx.

Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
spike427
AG
We finally made it over there tonight. Loved the tacos (shrimp, fried fish, salmon). The salsa tastes just like I remembered it. I would be very happy to pay another $1-2 for the house-made chips from the good ol' days, if y'all ever manage to bring those back.

It was hopping but we snagged a table without any problem. They were working hard to make sure tables got cleared. Y'all must log thousands of steps per evening!

Thoroughly enjoyed the strawberry tart! We'll be back for sure.
Costa and Andreas
Thank you kindly for your business! We are really, really enjoying operating Bodega 2.0 and interacting with the clientele. It has been very rewarding.

We are starting weekend brunch and are excited about that as well!

To address the chips. We do fry chips fresh, but they are indeed a different tortilla. Unbeknownst to most, the old, thicker one, albeit good, was extremely inconsistent. We really struggled with oil retention within the chip as well as uneven cooking. Back in the day we had to throw so many out it was disheartening. Against the advice of our supplier, we tried stubbornly to use that chip but alas in the end they were correct. So, we are now on a tortilla that is designed to fry fresh and be more consistent. In the end we had to choose consistency of product and minimizing food waste over what we really wanted to use.....

Lastly, in the coming weeks we plan to activate the drive through for both an on-demand drive through menu as well as online order pickup. We have had quite a bit of demand for shakers to go as well. During this lead up we are just making sure we are prepared properly to do that whilst being TABC compliant.

Cheers!
spike427
AG
Thanks for the info on the chips! Next time I'll just get one taco and some guac so I have more room for chips!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.