Good BCS Bank for College Student

1,729 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Tailgate88
Bonfire97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anyone have any recs? Specifically looking for one that my son can open an account at that doesn't require balance minimums. Thanks in advance!

Edit: Convenient ATM locations would be a plus as well.
trouble
AG
Aggieland credit union is really easy to use. If they have a minimum balance, it's really low.
FlyRod
I've been happy with Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union, but alas they fail on the "plenty of ATMs" dimension.
threecatcorner
Brenham National Bank is good. There is a minimum to open an account but you don't have to keep a minimum balance.

They don't have a bunch of ATMS (they just have one local bank and the others are in Btrenham and Chappell Hill), but they waive the fee or reimburse you if you use another bank/business's ATM machine. (I don't use ATMs all that much so can't remember exactly how they do it, but it doesn't wind up costing to use them).

Also, if your college student will be stopping by the bank in person any, they might be interested to know that they have a freezer full of Blue Bell ice cream so when you go to the bank, you can get a little cup of ice cream and a wooden spoon or can get an ice cream sandwich or fudge pop. (They don't look at you weird if you decide to grab a few).

They don't charge you for having an account (if there's more than one option, ask for the free checking and they should know which one it is) and they don't charge you if you want to go in. (I can't remember which bank does that, but I know there's at least one that does).

Also, they put deposits in before they take out purchases, and they count a deposit the same day it's made, so it's less likely for someone to mess up and accidentally wind up with fees for insufficient funds.

They are at Southwest Parkway and Highway 6 (across from Allen Honda), so you do need to be able to drive there. I can't remember which banks are walking distance to A&M, but they aren't.

They are very nice and will recognize customers that have been there before; feels more personal than some of the larger banks.

Anyhow, highly recommend; not just because of the ice cream, but it definitely makes a trip to the bank more enjoyable. (They do also have DumDum lollipops at the counter. I'm sure the ice cream is because their main branch is in Brenham, where Blue Bell is from, though).

Edited to fix typo
Sleepnumber
AG
threecatcorner said:

Brenham National Bank is good. There is a minimum to open an account but you don't have to keep a minimum balance.

They don't have a bunch of ATMS (they just have one local bank and the others are in Btrenham and Chappell Hill), but they waive the fee or reimburse you if you use another bank/business's ATM machine. (I don't use ATMs all that much so can't remember exactly how they do it, but it doesn't wind up costing to use them).

Also, if your college student will be stopping by the bank in person any, they might be interested to know that they have a freezer full of Blue Bell ice cream so when you go to the bank, you can get a little cup of ice cream and a wooden spoon or can get an ice cream sandwich or fudge pop. (They don't look at you weird if you decide to grab a few).

They don't charge you for having an account (if there's more than one option, ask for the free checking and they should know which one it is) and they don't charge you if you want to go in. (I can't remember which bank does that, but I know there's at least one that does).

Also, they put deposits in before they take out purchases, and they count a deposit the same day it's made, so it's less likely for someone to mess up and accidentally wind up with fees for insufficient funds.

They are at Southwest Parkway and Highway 6 (across from Allen Honda), so you do need to be able to drive there. I can't remember which banks are walking distance to A&M, but they aren't.

They are very nice and will recognize customers that have been there before; feels more personal than some of the larger banks.

Anyhow, highly recommend; not just because of the ice cream, but it definitely makes a trip to the bank more enjoyable. (They do also have DumDum lollipops at the counter. I'm sure the ice cream is because their main branch is in Brenham, where Blue Bell is from, though).

Edited to fix typo
aggiepaintrain
AG
threecatcorner
As far as getting money to your student, Brennan National Bank has Zelle.if your bank also uses that service, you can send money through that pretty easily. I think that after you set it up, it just takes a few minutes to send money, and I don't think there's a fee. It's more secure and/or cheaper than sending money with PayPal, and I think it's faster than doing a bank transfer.
TyHolden
AG
You can't throw a stone in BCS without hitting a bank. I use about 3-4 of them. The rest is in the caymans.
BiochemAg97
AG
threecatcorner said:

As far as getting money to your student, Brennan National Bank has Zelle.if your bank also uses that service, you can send money through that pretty easily. I think that after you set it up, it just takes a few minutes to send money, and I don't think there's a fee. It's more secure and/or cheaper than sending money with PayPal, and I think it's faster than doing a bank transfer.

With Zelle make sure you get it set up right and do a test transfer to make sure the money is going to the right place. There is 0 recourse if you send money to the wrong account.
Bonfire97
AG
Thanks for the replies all.
iisanaggie
AG
We have Aggieland Credit Union accounts for our family including our Aggie. They have an ATM on Northgate and several in BCS. Their bankers are always nice and helpful in the bank. I think we have a $5 minimum balance. They don't have Zelle but it is easy to transfer money from other banks.
KidDoc
AG
Aggieland CU (GTFCU). We started with them over 30 years ago as students and are still with them today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Jinx
Only thing about Brenham we've found is they are extrenely vigilant to the point its almost an inconvenience. Had some issues with Zelle/Paypal/Venmo etc. I wouldn't say it's a complaint, it's great they're on the ball about that stuff but sometimes its frustrating.

I'll take frustrated over getting hacked any day.
Tailgate88
AG
We have been VERY happy with Prosperity Bank for going on 20 years (and through a few name changes). Very easy to deal with and localish. (I am NOT a fan of big nationwide banks.) I acknowledge they have grown over the years but still have a very much hometown bank feel, with branches all over Texas and I think Oklahoma now too.
Tailgate88
AG
^^^ Flag this spammer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.